Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

3G+ MMI completely dead - ideas?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Greetings.

2013 with the 3g plus MMI with B&O sound system. Nothing on the center screen, no audio, no lights on the mmi buttons. Worked fine one night - next morning it's dead...

VCDS scan reports
    Address 47 : Sound System
    Cannot be reached

Address 56 : Radio
    Cannot be reached

Addreess 5F : Information Electr.
    Cannot be reaached

VCDS optical scan reports all OK :

Controller Electrical Optical
    19-CAN Gateway OK OK
    5F-Information Electr.(High/D3) OK OK
    47-Sound System OK OK
    56-Radio OK OK

I've checked every fuse in the dash (both sides) and the trunk - disconnected the battery for several minutes while I was checking fuses.

Searched, but most things I found seemed to have a optical bus break that helped narrow it down to a component.
    I've taken the radio out of the dash and opened it up to check for anything obvious wrong and to try to re-seat connectors. The HDD spins when I plug it back in but no help.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Currently having the exact same issue for about the last two months. At first I was convinced the car went into some sort of a battery management mode, then realized that wasn't the case. Went to the dealer for diagnosis of the car and they claim the MMI control module is broken, part number 8R1 035 746 C quoting me $2,369.99 for part and about $150 for install. I proceeded to buy the part online for $240 and installed myself in about 20 minutes. MMI still has exact same symptoms with the new module, so I assume the dealer mis-diagnosed the car which seems to be common with MMI systems.

After further research I've learned a bit about the MMI and how it works. As you have referred to at the end of your post, the MMI modules all run on an "optical loop" which is sort of like a set of christmas lights, if one of the modules in the loop is down the whole system will not work. You can test functionality of the modules by using a female optical bypass loop, but I am still unsure of how to locate all of the modules in the car. I do not own a VCDS and am not very familiar with it but this may get you closer to your issue: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/optical-bus.php

I am not sure if this is the test you have already ran or not. Looking forward to hearing from others on this issue, hopefully we are both able to get this sorted out without dishing out too much $.

Veteran Member Four Rings s4buckeye's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Q7 TDI Prestige, E93 M3, F23 m240ix

3G+ MMI completely dead - ideas?

check here and in the Audi UK forum, usually have more MMI questions there, even if info is dated

https://audiforum.us/forums/navigation-units.39/

Also look for that CarPlay retrofit page on here. Guy that does those is prolly an expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are.” - Kurt Cobain

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RyanWysong View Post
    Currently having the exact same issue for about the last two months. At first I was convinced the car went into some sort of a battery management mode, then realized that wasn't the case. Went to the dealer for diagnosis of the car and they claim the MMI control module is broken, part number 8R1 035 746 C quoting me $2,369.99 for part and about $150 for install. I proceeded to buy the part online for $240 and installed myself in about 20 minutes. MMI still has exact same symptoms with the new module, so I assume the dealer mis-diagnosed the car which seems to be common with MMI systems.

After further research I've learned a bit about the MMI and how it works. As you have referred to at the end of your post, the MMI modules all run on an "optical loop" which is sort of like a set of christmas lights, if one of the modules in the loop is down the whole system will not work. You can test functionality of the modules by using a female optical bypass loop, but I am still unsure of how to locate all of the modules in the car. I do not own a VCDS and am not very familiar with it but this may get you closer to your issue: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/optical-bus.php

I am not sure if this is the test you have already ran or not. Looking forward to hearing from others on this issue, hopefully we are both able to get this sorted out without dishing out too much $.
    That is the same test I ran. I was considering getting the bypass loop to start troubleshooting, but when the VCDS loop test test said everything was OK -- I'm not sure it's going to help any.

So you replaced the unit in the dash that has the CD and SD/SIM card slots?

Veteran Member Four Rings Gunnark100's Avatar
    AZ Member #

vcds test is not accurate, no idea why, same like very often it tells all are faulty etc...

dismantle connector and put wires together, after each isolation "restart a car"!
    Retrofits: FL taillights / MMI 3G & 3G+(Street view incl.)/ Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster/ BiXenon/ ADS Lite
    Other: ECU Tune/ VCDS Tweaks/ FL Gearknob/ Soundproofing/ Interior 6D Carbon Wrap/ Rieger Rep Front Bumper Valance/ Basic sound(8) upgrade to "ASS"(9+1) + B/O Sub(in sidepanel)/Tweeters + Activsub/ Efficiency Prog via Cluster & Gateway flash/ Sideskirts/ Window Tint/ Wsp Peeler reps/ License plate & Interior leds

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnark100 View Post
    vcds test is not accurate, no idea why, same like very often it tells all are faulty etc...

dismantle connector and put wires together, after each isolation "restart a car"!
    OK. Thanks for that. Is it sufficient to loop the MOST bus with a bypass or are there electrical wires that need to be bypassed as well to isolate?

Jim

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by B8_Jim View Post
    That is the same test I ran. I was considering getting the bypass loop to start troubleshooting, but when the VCDS loop test test said everything was OK -- I'm not sure it's going to help any.

So you replaced the unit in the dash that has the CD and SD/SIM card slots?
    Yes, this is the unit I replaced. I was under the impression this would make my MMI power up with limited function due to the component protection of the new module, but didn't change my issue at all.

AZ Member #

Yes, this is the unit I replaced. I was under the impression this would make my MMI power up with limited function due to the component protection of the new module, but didn't change my issue at all.
    I emailed the Paulison Corporation - they have a B&O rebuild service. Very helpful - they tell me the VCDS scan isn't accurate - and I also got the same info from Audiworld. They say the best plan is to get a MOST bypass cable and bypass the amp and see if the MMI comes up.

Ebay has them for about $10 - will get one and see what happens... Same cable can probably be used to bypass the other component in the trunk if the AMP isn't bad. Guessing if neither of these do anything it's the dash unit... ?

Veteran Member Four Rings A4 Centaur's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ducati Panigale 1199S (Red of course)

Mine died the other day as well. Same issue with VCDS scans, can't "connect".

No lights to MMI control panel, no BU camera, no screen, no sound etc.

I am gonna try replacing the control switch panel. I checked the fuses in the passenger side panel, all good.

Chris is gonna shoot me over a spare controller and we will see if its that part. I would assume the MMI HU is fine. I'll replace that part and see what gives.
    Black B8 A4 Avant S-Line Prestige Package, CPMB Engine, Tiptronic 8 speed, JHM K04-R, V1 & Beltronics, Eurocode HFC, APR FMIC, Alu Kreuz, Vogtland Coilovers, Stoptech 380mm BB Kit, H&R Swaybar, APR K04 Tune, Rev. "d" DV, R8 Coils, Folding Mirrors, S5 Rear Brakes, 034 Street Density Mounts, OEM Facelift LED Brake lights, Forgestar CF5, and more mods to come!

AZ Member #

OK. Thanks for that. Is it sufficient to loop the MOST bus with a bypass or are there electrical wires that need to be bypassed as well to isolate?

Jim
    Yes, no need to touch other wires, just "bypass-isolate" optic...with loop or taking connector to the bits - up to you how fast you want answer:)
    Retrofits: FL taillights / MMI 3G & 3G+(Street view incl.)/ Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster/ BiXenon/ ADS Lite
    Other: ECU Tune/ VCDS Tweaks/ FL Gearknob/ Soundproofing/ Interior 6D Carbon Wrap/ Rieger Rep Front Bumper Valance/ Basic sound(8) upgrade to "ASS"(9+1) + B/O Sub(in sidepanel)/Tweeters + Activsub/ Efficiency Prog via Cluster & Gateway flash/ Sideskirts/ Window Tint/ Wsp Peeler reps/ License plate & Interior leds

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A4 Centaur View Post
    Mine died the other day as well. Same issue with VCDS scans, can't "connect".

No lights to MMI control panel, no BU camera, no screen, no sound etc.

I am gonna try replacing the control switch panel. I checked the fuses in the passenger side panel, all good.

Chris is gonna shoot me over a spare controller and we will see if its that part. I would assume the MMI HU is fine. I'll replace that part and see what gives.
    Pull control panel up and remove connector and start a car, if mmi will be alive panel is fucked(i dont believe)!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

^Awesome! Thanks very much. I'll try it when I get back from Scottsdale.

Without having looked at anything but the fuses for the MMI, I would have to assume that this is correct.
    Black B8 A4 Avant S-Line Prestige Package, CPMB Engine, Tiptronic 8 speed, JHM K04-R, V1 & Beltronics, Eurocode HFC, APR FMIC, Alu Kreuz, Vogtland Coilovers, Stoptech 380mm BB Kit, H&R Swaybar, APR K04 Tune, Rev. "d" DV, R8 Coils, Folding Mirrors, S5 Rear Brakes, 034 Street Density Mounts, OEM Facelift LED Brake lights, Forgestar CF5, and more mods to come!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I emailed the Paulison Corporation - they have a B&O rebuild service. Very helpful - they tell me the VCDS scan isn't accurate - and I also got the same info from Audiworld. They say the best plan is to get a MOST bypass cable and bypass the amp and see if the MMI comes up.

Ebay has them for about $10 - will get one and see what happens... Same cable can probably be used to bypass the other component in the trunk if the AMP isn't bad. Guessing if neither of these do anything it's the dash unit... ?
    As far as I know the bypass cable can be used on any module in the system except for the main MMI control module. I sent in my main control MMI unit to Hi-Tech Electronics in LA to ensure everything was working properly, they checked it over for free today and said it is 100% functional. They are returning the unit with a bypass cable for me to further test the issue.
    Last edited by RyanWysong; 09-17-2018 at 10:24 PM.

AZ Member #

As far as I know the bypass cable can be used on any module in the system except for the main MMI control module. I sent in my main control MMI unit to Hi-Tech Electronics in LA to ensure everything was working properly, they checked it over for free today and said it is 100% functional. They are returning the unit with a bypass cable for me to further test the issue.
    Discouraging news. MOST bypass came today. Tried bypassing 47 and 59 (Sound System and Radio) in the trunk. Neither made any difference in the MMI. Even pulled the dash unit again and tried bypassing it just to see - no help. Did notice that the 5F unit had a spinning HDD, but the fan was not, and the unit was very hot - almost too hot to hold onto.

Not sure where to go from here. Only thing I didn't bypass was the CAN gateway, and I think it's buried up under the dash behind the glove box.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Did you try disconnecting the controller and starting the system up to see if you have a working HDD or Amp or BU camera?

AZ Member #

Did you try disconnecting the controller and starting the system up to see if you have a working HDD or Amp or BU camera?
    Sorry - too many terms for me to keep track of - can you clarify what you mean by "The controller"?

Thanks.

AZ Member #

Sorry - too many terms for me to keep track of - can you clarify what you mean by "The controller"?

Thanks.
    Control panel with buttons around gearstick.

AZ Member #

Control panel with buttons around gearstick.
    No I have not done that yet. I'll do that.

Can it be disconnected from the back of the 5F unit, or do you have to remove a bunch of trim on the console to get to the plug there?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Discouraging news. MOST bypass came today. Tried bypassing 47 and 59 (Sound System and Radio) in the trunk. Neither made any difference in the MMI. Even pulled the dash unit again and tried bypassing it just to see - no help. Did notice that the 5F unit had a spinning HDD, but the fan was not, and the unit was very hot - almost too hot to hold onto.

Not sure where to go from here. Only thing I didn't bypass was the CAN gateway, and I think it's buried up under the dash behind the glove box.
    I also just got my bypass in. Can you clarify the location of the sound system and radio in the trunk? My apologies, I am not extremely savvy when it comes to this stuff. I know the amp is in the rear left panel so I was going to try and bypass that as well as attempt a bypass on my main MMI dash unit.

Thanks

AZ Member #

I also just got my bypass in. Can you clarify the location of the sound system and radio in the trunk? My apologies, I am not extremely savvy when it comes to this stuff. I know the amp is in the rear left panel so I was going to try and bypass that as well as attempt a bypass on my main MMI dash unit.

Thanks
    The Radio is just below the "amp" = "sound system" in the cubby on the left side in the trunk.

Be interested to hear what you find.

I realize I didn't run VCDS when the Dash 5F unit was bypassed with the optical loop to see if I could connect to the other modules. I need to re-do that, and take the trim/controller off to remove the connector to see if I can make any more progress that way.

AZ Member #

Got the MMI center console buttons/trim pulled up and disconnected it. Same situation - nothing on the center display at all - not even a back light. Bypassed the 5F module again and ran VCDS - still exactly the same situation as before - Sound system, radio, 5F - "No response from controller". Saw a MOST connection behind the 5F unit over toward the passenger side a bit - put the bypass on that as well just for good measure - no help - nothing changed in VCDS.

If I sit in the car long enough I hear the 5F unit HDD spin down. Then when I put the key on it spins up, but I never hear the heads moving like it's accessing anything. If I hit the eject on the CD the eject motor whirrs for a little bit, so the unit seems to be powered.

Anyone have other ideas?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The Radio is just below the "amp" = "sound system" in the cubby on the left side in the trunk.

Be interested to hear what you find.

I realize I didn't run VCDS when the Dash 5F unit was bypassed with the optical loop to see if I could connect to the other modules. I need to re-do that, and take the trim/controller off to remove the connector to see if I can make any more progress that way.
    Unfortunately the bypass loop sent back with my main MMI unit after testing is not the correct loop. I’m not sure how this happened but I have ordered the correct loop this evening. Will get back with my results after the adapter shows up.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Anyone have other ideas?
    Find a friend or local member and swap headunit(a4,a5,q5,q7) - this would be my route if i was in same boat. Quick look to ebay and sounds that companies do not offer "return" option much anymore!

AZ Member #

My 5F unit has PN : 8R1 035 746 B

Can I replace it with a 8R1 035 746 H (or any newer letter after the 746)?

Have some conflicting info. Can't imagine you can buy a 746 B from the dealer now - if they are not compatible how do they get around this? I know if it "works" I'll need to get component protection removed.

Thanks!

AZ Member #

Find a friend or local member and swap headunit(a4,a5,q5,q7) - this would be my route if i was in same boat. Quick look to ebay and sounds that companies do not offer "return" option much anymore!
    Swapping head units won't lead to component protection being triggered on the headunit? It will be OK when put back in the donor vehicle?

So - similar to the above post - the exact PN doesn't need to match (the letter at the end) to diagnose - just the 8R1 035 746 part (not the full 8R1 035 746 B).

AZ Member #

Swapping head units won't lead to component protection being triggered on the headunit? It will be OK when put back in the donor vehicle?

So - similar to the above post - the exact PN doesn't need to match (the letter at the end) to diagnose - just the 8R1 035 746 part (not the full 8R1 035 746 B).
    Swapping headunit will always trigger CP, but it is ok for diagnose, even if letter or part number does not match- example, your friend has non sim unit, you can still test. CP will be active, but system will work(just not all functions) and if you put your friends unit back to his car, no CP for him.

If end result will be- you need new headunit, my advice, get a unit from newer car(not sure about date), but H has 100% 3G GSM module already!

AZ Member #

Swapping headunit will always trigger CP, but it is ok for diagnose, even if letter or part number does not match- example, your friend has non sim unit, you can still test. CP will be active, but system will work(just not all functions) and if you put your friends unit back to his car, no CP for him.

If end result will be- you need new headunit, my advice, get a unit from newer car(not sure about date), but H has 100% 3G GSM module already!
    Thanks.

So if I got a H version from Ebay - it would have CP, but would still work once I got the CP removed by the dealer? Found a couple of H rev software, but G hardware (upper number is SW, lower is HW on the sticker, right?)

e.g. :

Is that a B hardware with C software, or C software and B hardware?

Don't know anyone with a compatible 5F - other audi owners I know recently upgraded to 2017s or 2018s, and the others are TTs, so I was just going to buy something - getting tired of not having a MMI.

Appreciate your help.

AZ Member #

All 3G+ units will work.

Answer to the question above:
    Part No SW: 8R1 035 746 C* * HW: 8R1 035 746 B
    * Component: H-BNT-NA* * * H44 0624*

AZ Member #

All 3G+ units will work.

Answer to the question above:
    Part No SW: 8R1 035 746 C* * HW: 8R1 035 746 B
    * Component: H-BNT-NA* * * H44 0624*
    Thanks for that - so 3G GSM needs HW version of H, not just SW?

Found one sticker that has H on the top row, but the lower row (HW) has a G...

AZ Member #

Thanks for that - so 3G GSM needs HW version of H, not just SW?

Found one sticker that has H on the top row, but the lower row (HW) has a G...
    G or H(regardless sw or hw) has 3G compability.(I will send pm)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Guess I am going to need to source a HU as well. Not sure its the controller, but I am a week out from being back in Colorado to test.