Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Tuners coding out the 02 sensors

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So in May bought a b7 sline manual FWD. Came with a APR Stage 1 with 034 HFC. I know I can fix the check engine light with a spacer. have done it on the b6 with HFC and the TT we have with HFC. But when a tuner codes out the o2 does that mean it shows passed on obd testing? I have stage 2+s(Motoza tuning) on the b6 and tt and never needed it coded out because of spacer.
    I will be going stage 2+ from motoza in near future and wondering if I should just have it coded out or leave it? Will it show passed on the obd or will it show failed and will the obd scan report that the 02 is coded out and then they fine me for messing with the emissions. Sorry it sounds like dumb question but I never really looked into it. Maybe Ive been lucky on the other 2 cars.

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

It basically always shows the rear O2 as being ready.

If your tuner offers a rear O2 cel delete, it really is the best option.

Senior Member Two Rings Older_not_Wiser's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It is APR's way of providing a continuing revenue stream for the shops that sell APR's products. Even program switching to the 'Stock' tune does not allow emissions to ever get to 100% readiness. You have to pay a shop to re-flash to the OEM stock tune to even allow 100% readiness, then do a few drive cycles to get to 100%. It is usually 1/2 hour of labor to re-flash.
    I have been putting up with this for a few years and have been considering switching tunes but I am also not really wanting to foot that bill and have been on the fence about the tunes that are available that do not require re-flash. Was thinking about JHM but have hesitated due to some reports of driveability quirks. Motoza has piqued my interest since I will have have to do emissions in a few months.

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II

APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Older_not_Wiser View Post
    It is APR's way of providing a continuing revenue stream for the shops that sell APR's products. Even program switching to the 'Stock' tune does not allow emissions to ever get to 100% readiness. You have to pay a shop to re-flash to the OEM stock tune to even allow 100% readiness, then do a few drive cycles to get to 100%. It is usually 1/2 hour of labor to re-flash.
    I have been putting up with this for a few years and have been considering switching tunes but I am also not really wanting to foot that bill and have been on the fence about the tunes that are available that do not require re-flash. Was thinking about JHM but have hesitated due to some reports of driveability quirks. Motoza has piqued my interest since I will have have to do emissions in a few months.
    This has been the opposite of every stage 2 tune with cel delete Iíve ever had. Readiness for the rear O2 was always set with a rear O2 sensor delete tune. Not having to deal with rear O2 sensor codes and not being able to set readiness is the whole reason these tunes exist.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

if that's true with APR. I'LL be switching to motoza. I'll do my own flash in driveway. not paying someone to do it.