Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Audi A4Q (B6) 3.0 6MT; 1999 Mustang Cobra; 2003 G35 Coupe 5AT

fixed steering wheel misalignment by adjusting steering wheel

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    This may be in another thread somewhere.
    All threads that I found talked about crawling under the car and adjusting the rod ends..

anyway....
    Just had new tires installed and alignment done.

steering wheel was not centered...off to the right slightly <45 degrees

What i did (all on youtube in various posts)...

disconnected battery +/-
    removed airbag...(you dont actual need to remove airbag..just take connector off and balance airbag on steering column)
    removed center steering wheel nut.
    marked center with sharpie and scribe line to match with scribe mark on housing.
    moved steering wheel over a bit...two or three teeth..
    reversed process to put it back together..
    done.

wheel straight now.

next time I get a alignment, i will tell them that should they be off a bit..to please be off a bit in the other direction...

drives fine ..no errors
    2002 Audi a4 B6 Q 3.0 6MT

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA

I applaud your initiative in correcting the off-center steering wheel but you really should put the wheel back where it was and center it by adjusting the tie rods. The clock spring in the steering wheel now thinks that the wheel is turned slightly off-center.

It wonít make any difference during normal driving but it could have disastrous consequences when the ABS or traction control gets activated. The control module is going to attempt to make the correction to what it thinks is straight ahead. Unfortunately it wonít be where you want to go.

Correcting it at the tie rods is really very easy. All you need to do is make equal adjustment on either side. For example, if you want to move the steering wheel to the right you will want to lengthen the right tie rod by three or four flats and then shorten the left side by the same amount of flats. Continue to adjust until then steering wheel is centered. By making equal adjustments you will maintain your current alignment specs.

Feel free to PM if you my instructions arenít clear or you wish to discuss further.

Cheers!
    Last edited by old guy; 09-15-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

Senior Member Three Rings egovreau's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 VW Passat Wagon

I should think it would also misalign the steering rack as well. The stops are in the rack itself and half way through from one stop to the other is where the wheel should be centered.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Will check alignment by reading sensor in VCDS to see where the steering wheel thinks it is..TOMORROW.

For today..I am exhausted..

There is spec slop in every system..hope it works for me.
    I have the cheesy Bosch sensor...which I plan to replace "someday."

I am just so damn tired of climbing under this damn car.

Steering wheel is straight and display is not faded.

Also finally retrieved skc, found that it had been changed from oem and found that cluster may not be adapted to it..

Declaring victory for today..

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA

LOL!!

I hear ya...

in the past week I have probably spent 20+ hours on my B6. Now it's time to just enjoy it and concentrate on the A5.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by shurur9 View Post
    This may be in another thread somewhere.
    All threads that I found talked about crawling under the car and adjusting the rod ends..

anyway....
    Just had new tires installed and alignment done.

What i did (all on youtube in various posts)...

disconnected battery +/-
    removed airbag...(you dont actual need to remove airbag..just take connector off and balance airbag on steering column)
    removed center steering wheel nut.
    marked center with sharpie and scribe line to match with scribe mark on housing.
    moved steering wheel over a bit...two or three teeth..
    reversed process to put it back together..
    done.

wheel straight now.

next time I get a alignment, i will tell them that should they be off a bit..to please be off a bit in the other direction...

drives fine ..no errors
    This doesn't work for me. Mine was about 10į off to the right and when I was doing a mfsw swap I tried to get the steering wheel straight. But one tooth to the left was slightly off to the left. So, I'm going to have to try the tie rod method.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Understood.
    Wish these shops understood how important it is to get the steering straight on some of these cars.
    And it will be more important on more cars in the future.

I will keep you posted as my energy level permits...
    I love my Audi dearly..but she makes me love my 1999 mustang even more sometimes.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    LOL!!

I hear ya...

in the past week I have probably spent 20+ hours on my B6. Now it's time to just enjoy it and concentrate on the A5.
    Thanks.
    It's like having a wife and a mistress....but with neither one being any real fun climbing under......

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by shurur9 View Post
    Was your steering wheel not centered before taking the car in? A decent alignment shop would keep the wheel centered, not give it back to you like that. The steering rack is provided with a locking arrangement similar to how the 3.0 engine has a crank lock pin for timing, to ensure the rack is centered. Using that should be a one-time factory operation, unless the wheel has been re-positioned, as you did. I agree that it should be put back to how it originally was, and then have the alignment redone.

Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The steering wheel is supposd to move 1.5 turns each way to full opposite lock, and is aligned/set on straight from the factory.
    You're supposed to adjust the tie rods, not the steering wheel...
    This is probably also part of how the G85 steering angle sensor functions, communicating with the ESP system to apply brakes where needed if the car loses control, taking into account what position the car is in, including based on where the steering wheel is turned. Or something like that.
    Unless it's an old RWD car. Those don't have 'ESP'. They have "you're either skilled or you're not, and that will determine whether the car slides in a beautiful manner or crashes."

If you have lots of seat-time in the car, you can probably tell if the steering wheel is some degrees off.
    In which case, maybe the shop driving the car straightly onto a workshop rack to align it in less than an hour without much road-testing, was unable to get it perfect even if using a steering wheel locking tool.

Imagine if my car is aligned, and I see the steering wheel is crooked. I can go "no big deal. Maybe I'll spray some penetrating oil into the tie rod nut thread area to prepare ahead of time. And if I have time next weekend, I'll drive it up on my Rhino Ramps and adjust the nut a few flats, and see if that helps."
    But a shop is not holding onto the car that long.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Got it..
    It was perfect before I brought her in for new tires..but I took her to a new tire shop thus time.

From what i have read so far, the 2002-2003- bosch steering angle sensor has no clue about the clockspring position. So I may have escaped that issue until I upgrade that unit to the 2003+.

Steering angles sensor does show zero degrees with wheel straight now... it used to be in spec (5 degrees?) at -2.5...

I will get to it eventually.

I replaced the entire steering system just a few month ago, rack hoses, pump and all; so kinda know my way around under there. It got realigned perfectly after that, but at a different shop.

I May wait and combine the whole messy process when I upgrade the steering sensor.