Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings climb4hope's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 Allroad 2.7T manual, 02 Allroad 2.7T auto

Flywheel to do or not to do.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Flywheel has a few hot spots but the surface is pretty flat. Would you change it or not? Unfortunately you cannot machine this dual mass flywheel :(

IMG_3566.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S6 Avant X TWO! and 67' Speed buggy

The friction surface is pretty durable, I worry more about the play between the center and outer. I think radial play is supposed to be less than 17MM if I remember right? If your fingernail (old timer test?) doesn't catch and grooves as you scrape it across the surface it's usually okay. I don't know if it helps, but I take a die-grinder with a friction pad and polish off the wear surface to get it nice and clean.
    If it got SUPER hot/ abused and has blue spots you may think about replacing it..?

But, there ARE machine shops that have a jig for machining DMFW's , not sure if it makes sense economically though.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I would change it, I just put a new DMF in my Daughters Allroad and the reduction in the slop felt in the drive-line is noticeable compared to my Allroad which still has the original DMF with about 190k miles. The difference is felt during shifts and at light throttle when transitioning from coasting to tip-in. I would consider dropping my transmission, just to change the clutch and flywheel to reduce the slop. Rock Auto has a pretty good deal on a Luk DMF.

Established Member Two Rings climb4hope's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 Allroad 2.7T manual, 02 Allroad 2.7T auto

Gave it a second look. It does not have any noticeable groves on it. Quite flat. It seems like it was replaced by the previous owner at some point as it definitely does not look like it has 185k miles on it. Clutch is worn ~50%, but JHM has a good sale on the clutch plate now. Will keep the old pressure plate as well, do not see any issues with that. Just need to reset the retaining springs and should be fine. Thanks for the comments.

Active Member Two Rings MotorManiac's Avatar
    AZ Member #

We did several dual-mass flywheels at the shop I worked at growing up. Get it centered, and however much is taken off of the mating surface should he taken off of the outer lip to maintain the height distance.

Think we charged somewhere around $60.

I would look around before dismissing the machining idea.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Audizine mobile app
    2009 Audi A4 Premium | 2.0T Quattro | ECS Flywheel | Stage II SouthBend Clutch | 19x9.5 Alufelgen SF-71 Wheels

Past Rides: 2004 A4 1.8T Quattro 6MT \ 2002 Allroad 2.7T 6MT