Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Three Rings S3DUDE's Avatar
    AZ Member #

My Stock RS3 vs my S3 Stage 2 APR dragstrip results/comparo

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Fellow A3/S3/RS3 owners,

I am here to share some histories with you guys. I told this before but I will say it again, for the last 22 years I have been drag racing street cars.. it is my vice and always will be. Anyways, Within the last couple of years I had a few cars already but I want to point out that I had a A3, a S3 and now an RS3. You can guess where this is going. I did the tune (APR) on the A3 and S3. The tunes transformed the cars, the results were impressive.

There have been a lot of talk about what car is faster and what not, lots of opinions, rumors, guessing, etc. Well, I did take my cars to the drag strip a lot of times, specially the A3 and S3. I even weighted the cars at the scales. Last night I ran my RS3 for the first time ever and I can positively conclude and summarize that the RS3 is in a different league.

I thought that the S3 APR tune and the RS3 were going to be a tie but not the case, the RS3 has undoubtedly a stronger top end. Anyways, here is some data that summarizes my experience at the dragstrip.

My best ever time slip on the A3 with Stage 1 APR tune(91oct file) was a 13.3@103 mph. Tucson drag way at 3100ft elevation and 80 lbs weight reduction
    My best ever on the S3 on APR stage 1 (91 oct file) 12.5@110.5 and with the Stage 2 was 12.2@113 (Tucson drag way at 3100ft elev) 80 lbs weight reduction
    My best of 3 passes on the RS3 bone stock was 12.0@116.86 mph the other passes were 12.0 and 12.1with traps of 115, 116.
    My best pass on my A6 TFSI supercharger APR Stage I (91 oct file) 13.3@105 mph

I wholeheartedly think that the RS3 will run 11's stock . I am saying that because I only had 3 passes and it was hot and I literally ran a 12.02. the scales were closed at the track so I couldn't weight the car. The a3 is 140lbs lighter than the S3 but I don't now how much more heavier the rs3 will be.

That is it folks, I am not trying to stir the pot, it is what it is. Why would I make shit up? I was very hesitant to jump into the RS3 platform, as a matter of fact the "swap" ran me like $30000 difference, is it worth it? no, it is too much money. I still think that an S3 with a turbokit is probably the best bang for the buck.

Pictures of the time slips here.
    http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/re...?sort=3&page=1
    Last edited by S3DUDE; 09-15-2018 at 11:53 PM.
    Ran 11.93@118.94 mph at 3100ft elevation running E-29 content as per fuel-it sensor (mixture of 2.5 gallons of ethanol E-80 +6.5 gallons of 91oct). No mods. DA of 4,829ft based on 56% humidity, 72.3F (the time of the run), 29.93 barometric pressure, relative density of 86.62%. NHRA corrected at sea level=11.631 @ 121.934 MPH

Established Member Two Rings Why-man5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thanks for the information... yes the 5 cylinder 2.5T is an altogether different animal, much more tuneable engine and obviously faster than a stage 2 S3:-(...Iíve been looking at whatís next for me (currently S3).. Iíve been thinking about the RS5, but the RS3 is still a possibility...

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Why-man5 View Post
    Thanks for the information... yes the 5 cylinder 2.5T is an altogether different animal, much more tuneable engine and obviously faster than a stage 2 S3:-(...Iíve been looking at whatís next for me (currently S3).. Iíve been thinking about the RS5, but the RS3 is still a possibility...
    The rs5 is a total beast although it is also in a whole different league price wise. I think that the platform to go fast would be the RS3 for a "reasonable "price. There is a video of a RS5 vs rs3 and another RS4 vs the rs3(look at carlow on youtube). They had a rs5 at my dealer and it was a $91k sticker price, too much.
    Ran 11.93@118.94 mph at 3100ft elevation running E-29 content as per fuel-it sensor (mixture of 2.5 gallons of ethanol E-80 +6.5 gallons of 91oct). No mods. DA of 4,829ft based on 56% humidity, 72.3F (the time of the run), 29.93 barometric pressure, relative density of 86.62%. NHRA corrected at sea level=11.631 @ 121.934 MPH

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S3DUDE View Post
    The rs5 is a total beast although it is also in a whole different league price wise. I think that the platform to go fast would be the RS3 for a "reasonable "price. There is a video of a RS5 vs rs3 and another RS4 vs the rs3(look at carlow on youtube). They had a rs5 at my dealer and it was a $91k sticker price, too much.
    The Rs5 is identical in terms of performance to the Rs3, is about 400 pounds heavier, exhaust note is blah, and it's $25k-30k more money. Nice looking car I'll say and perhaps the interior is a notch up, but that's about it. Also, don't know that there is much of an aftermarket yet for the Rs5.

Veteran Member Four Rings coolwater's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Q5 Ibis on Black AWD

Good info and really helps those of us looking to upgrade to the rs3. How would you compare just the daily drive? Do you feel a big difference from stage2 s3 and the rs3?
    $30k is about what the swap would cost me also.

-cW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 S3 Mythos Black on Red Magma Leather - V810 - Bilstein B14 - AWE DP - aFe
    2018 Q5 Ibis on Black P+

Gone - 2014 Audi A5 2.0T - 2013 S4 3.0 -2010 A4 2.0T
    New Build Thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-Magma-2015-S3
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4z...OgbcLzxwZEOt1A

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by coolwater View Post
    Good info and really helps those of us looking to upgrade to the rs3. How would you compare just the daily drive? Do you feel a big difference from stage2 s3 and the rs3?
    $30k is about what the swap would cost me also.

-c

Thanks!!! Yes, I made this post at purpose. Yes, there is a difference, the S3 on Stage 2 APR is far more responsive than the stock RS3. Not to say that the RS3 is slow but if you want to go fast you have to hit the gas from half of the pedal travel all the way to the floor. The S3 on stage 2 APR gives you a true avalanche of torque in the midrange just tapping the gas but is not as strong as the RS3 on the top end (this is something that I heard over and over and I experienced).

I am definitely not bashing the S3 in any way, I absolutely loved the S3 Stage II, it was an excellent car in almost every aspect. Although the RS3 is a super nice car I am still recovering from the low blow of the financial impact, I am basically KO just like most people that went from a used S3 to a new RS3.

For many people the change is not worthy and I wholeheartedly agree, it doesn't make a lot of financial sense however if you are buying new then I would say the RS3 is worth but if you have a used S3 it is harder.

AZ Member #

Thanks for sharing. To be fair, if you went from a pre-facelift S3 to the RS3, then I think it's worth it. You're not just getting a faster car but also a redesigned (though only externally) one... upgrading from a facelift S3 to an RS3.. now that to me doesn't make much sense

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

When I went to trade in my s3 I was worried Iíd lose my shirt on the deal but instead I lost a couple doors.
    2018 Audi TT RS
    2016 Audi S3 (sold)

Senior Member Two Rings schwabo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What are we after, it's more expensive we knew it'll be better, but comparing stock vs modified isn't really fair, once you get an E85 flash on the RS3, you'll never mention bang for the buck statement again.

To get the S3 to reliable 500whp, that's more than 15k, nevermind the labor involved and tinkering.

That price delta you've been taking about...shrinks significantly, and the S3 + mods is still worth S3 price.

Go tune your RS3 and please report back about the sweet spot.

Veteran Member Four Rings will13k7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

so a stage2 s3 is pretty close to a stock rs3? that's kind-of cool. rs3 is the better sounding and faster car for sure, might have got one if it was available. my s3 is fast enough and handles like a gocart, so I was never compelled to upgrade. yes, there's such a thing as fast enough. haha.

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Fellow A3/S3/RS3 owners,

I am here to share some histories with you guys. I told this before but I will say it again, for the last 22 years I have been drag racing street cars.. it is my vice and always will be. Anyways, Within the last couple of years I had a few cars already but I want to point out that I had a A3, a S3 and now an RS3. You can guess where this is going. I did the tune (APR) on the A3 and S3. The tunes transformed the cars, the results were impressive.

There have been a lot of talk about what car is faster and what not, lots of opinions, rumors, guessing, etc. Well, I did take my cars to the drag strip a lot of times, specially the A3 and S3. I even weighted the cars at the scales. Last night I ran my RS3 for the first time ever and I can positively conclude and summarize that the RS3 is in a different league.

I thought that the S3 APR tune and the RS3 were going to be a tie but not the case, the RS3 has undoubtedly a stronger top end. Anyways, here is some data that summarizes my experience at the dragstrip.

My best ever time slip on the A3 with Stage 1 APR tune(91oct file) was a 13.3@103 mph. Tucson drag way at 3100ft elevation and 80 lbs weight reduction
    My best ever on the S3 on APR stage 1 (91 oct file) 12.5@110.5 and with the Stage 2 was 12.2@113 (Tucson drag way at 3100ft elev) 80 lbs weight reduction
    My best of 3 passes on the RS3 bone stock was 12.0@116.86 mph the other passes were 12.0 and 12.1with traps of 115, 116.
    My best pass on my A6 TFSI supercharger APR Stage I (91 oct file) 13.3@105 mph

I wholeheartedly think that the RS3 will run 11's stock . I am saying that because I only had 3 passes and it was hot and I literally ran a 12.02. the scales were closed at the track so I couldn't weight the car. The a3 is 140lbs lighter than the S3 but I don't now how much more heavier the rs3 will be.

That is it folks, I am not trying to stir the pot, it is what it is. Why would I make shit up? I was very hesitant to jump into the RS3 platform, as a matter of fact the "swap" ran me like $30000 difference, is it worth it? no, it is too much money. I still think that an S3 with a turbokit is probably the best bang for the buck.

Pictures of the time slips here.
    http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/re...?sort=3&page=1
    Wait so your STOCK RS3 is faster than a stage 2 S3? I call BS! it's that APR tune, if you had 034 tune on your S3 you would run circles around the RS3! This is unheard of! it's for sure driver error, that DSG transmission is hard to use with them fancy paddles, and timing that fast moving RPM needle is serious stuff. If your S3 would of been a "factory freak" this would have not happened that's for sure. Your S3 was not bathed in Holy German Liquid Moly oil and sweat when it left the production line, that explains everything.

anyway on a serious note now that i can say "I told you so", I agree with you on the throttle 50% thing, but i feel with stage 1+, intake and intercooler it has gotten way better but that rush comes in harder now after 50% pedal input. My foot just adapted real quick and is always on alert for the 50% sweet spot. yes the RS3 is more expensive but it's a 10sec car with just an e85 tune, whatever you were going to spend on the S3 to do 10's is already included with the RS3. I like both i was going to pull the trigger on the S3 daytona grey with BO but the dealer was being an ass so it was not worth it to pay that much for an S3 when the last one that sold was like $4,000 cheaper just cause it was sitting on the lot for 2 months longer, they rather let it sit there again for 2 months than sell it to me at a fair price. Also another deciding factor for me and most might laugh at me for getting an RS3 over an S3 is that i hated dealing with carbon build up on the intake valves and the plastic oil pan.

and yes i jumped to the S3 forums cause the RS3 side is slow.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by will13k7 View Post
    so a stage2 s3 is pretty close to a stock rs3? that's kind-of cool. rs3 is the better sounding and faster car for sure, might have got one if it was available. my s3 is fast enough and handles like a gocart, so I was never compelled to upgrade. yes, there's such a thing as fast enough. haha.
    We don't need that kind of negativity around these parts!

Veteran Member Four Rings will13k7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by HBird View Post
    We don't need that kind of negativity around these parts!
    ikr.

I do wish I could use the power more often than a burst here and there though.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon69 View Post
    Wait so your STOCK RS3 is faster than a stage 2 S3? I call BS! it's that APR tune, if you had 034 tune on your S3 you would run circles around the RS3! This is unheard of! it's for sure driver error, that DSG transmission is hard to use with them fancy paddles, and timing that fast moving RPM needle is serious stuff. If your S3 would of been a "factory freak" this would have not happened that's for sure. Your S3 was not bathed in Holy German Liquid Moly oil and sweat when it left the production line, that explains everything.

anyway on a serious note now that i can say "I told you so", I agree with you on the throttle 50% thing, but i feel with stage 1+, intake and intercooler it has gotten way better but that rush comes in harder now after 50% pedal input. My foot just adapted real quick and is always on alert for the 50% sweet spot. yes the RS3 is more expensive but it's a 10sec car with just an e85 tune, whatever you were going to spend on the S3 to do 10's is already included with the RS3. I like both i was going to pull the trigger on the S3 daytona grey with BO but the dealer was being an ass so it was not worth it to pay that much for an S3 when the last one that sold was like $4,000 cheaper just cause it was sitting on the lot for 2 months longer, they rather let it sit there again for 2 months than sell it to me at a fair price. Also another deciding factor for me and most might laugh at me for getting an RS3 over an S3 is that i hated dealing with carbon build up on the intake valves and the plastic oil pan.

and yes i jumped to the S3 forums cause the RS3 side is slow.

Actually, the carbon buildup and plastic oil pan were considerations for me as well, (not the primary ones, but still, better is better).

My wife and I were going thru the debate of whether to mod the s3 pretty heavily, (stage 2, bbk, suspension, wheels, etc) vs getting an rs3. Once we test drove the rs3, it was laughable to consider modding an s3 and imo wasting all that money. The tt rs was even better still so we went that route, donít need the 4 doors, Iíd love to pick up an rs3 as a daily at some point since the tt rs is the track car.
    2018 Audi TT RS
    2016 Audi S3 (sold)

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu72 View Post
    Actually, the carbon buildup and plastic oil pan were considerations for me as well, (not the primary ones, but still, better is better).

My wife and I were going thru the debate of whether to mod the s3 pretty heavily, (stage 2, bbk, suspension, wheels, etc) vs getting an rs3. Once we test drove the rs3, it was laughable to consider modding an s3 and imo wasting all that money. The tt rs was even better still so we went that route, donít need the 4 doors, Iíd love to pick up an rs3 as a daily at some point since the tt rs is the track car.
    I love the TTRS! but my insurance company wanted to charge me too much and between the insurance and extra $10k it was too much for me to pay for a car at the time. Plus 10k i have to play with on mods and some house work etc sounds good too. Love that TTRS interior! Also my RS3 is my DD and my weekend car too lol.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon69 View Post
    I love the TTRS! but my insurance company wanted to charge me too much and between the insurance and extra $10k it was too much for me to pay for a car at the time. Plus 10k i have to play with on mods and some house work etc sounds good too. Love that TTRS interior! Also my RS3 is my DD and my weekend car too lol.

RS3 makes a great allírounder for sure, with the $$ youíre saving, you can def make your car very fast. . Ugh, donít remind me about house stuff, getting a new a/c system soon and water heater is on deck. .
    2018 Audi TT RS
    2016 Audi S3 (sold)

AZ Member #

Quick update folks, I ran quicker and faster 11.9@119mph now still stock:

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...n-my-RS3-stock

Botton line, the top end on the RS3 is in a whole different level than the S3.

AZ Member #

Quick update folks, I ran quicker and faster 11.9@119mph now still stock:

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...n-my-RS3-stock

Botton line, the top end on the RS3 is in a whole different level than the S3.
    Thanks for the update!

Iím almost ready to move into the 2.5T realm so this is exciting to see for sure. I was big on the RS3 but I actually am going to go the TTRS route now. No kids, no plan for kids, and we have a 14í TDI and 17í GTI when 4 doors are needed.

Keep keeping up posted man!
    Full UM Tune
    The good bolt-ons
    MPI

- Founder of https://www.opendoorfranchises.com/
    ^franchise firm(like real estate but for franchises)

Veteran Member Four Rings TCHUN003's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, Honda Ruckus

Nice! The 5 cyl are definitely in a different league.

What were the temps and elevation of the track where you ran the stage 1 S3? I see you ran 12.2 at 12.2@113 (Tucson drag way at 3100ft elev) which sounds about right. My eurodyne stage 2 with dsg tune runs 11.8, but this was at 1,000 ft elevation.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with will13k7 and feel like I don't need anything faster than my stage 2 S3. I would however like to pick up a 981 Cayman as a second car for the handling.
    -Thomas
    Current: /S3
    Previous: B6 A4/B8A4 Avant

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TCHUN003 View Post
    Nice! The 5 cyl are definitely in a different league.

What were the temps and elevation of the track where you ran the stage 1 S3? I see you ran 12.2 at 12.2@113 (Tucson drag way at 3100ft elev) which sounds about right. My eurodyne stage 2 with dsg tune runs 11.8, but this was at 1,000 ft elevation.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with will13k7 and feel like I don't need anything faster than my stage 2 S3. I would however like to pick up a 981 Cayman as a second car for the handling.
    It was cold(I think) because when I first ran the S3 stage 1 it was jan of 2016 but I installed the downpipe towards the end of the year when APR released their downpipes and it was cold. When I ran the S3 I would always had about 80lbs of weight reduction(spare tire, floor jack, floor mats, rear trunk tray, etc). When I had my S3 I was very hesitant to jump into the RS3, I mean, it was a $30000 "upgrade" because my car(S3) was already used and devaluated. It was a gamble to buy the RS3 but I think it proven itself to be a great platform.

I would say though that it is a hard decision to let go of a S3, they perform so well for their value. The 981 is the new Boxster turbo right? which are you getting? the 2.0 or the 2.5?, they are both fast. I contemplated getting the 2.0 turbo before I picked the RS3.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Coolrunning View Post
    Thanks for the update!

Iím almost ready to move into the 2.5T realm so this is exciting to see for sure. I was big on the RS3 but I actually am going to go the TTRS route now. No kids, no plan for kids, and we have a 14í TDI and 17í GTI when 4 doors are needed.

Keep keeping up posted man!
    The TT-RS was totally out of my budget. I have kids and one is an adult and handicap so a 4 door is a must for me. You are in a better situation and the TT-RS fits your lifestyle better. Go for it, it is a beast.

Veteran Member Four Rings TCHUN003's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, Honda Ruckus

It was cold(I think) because when I first ran the S3 stage 1 it was jan of 2016 but I installed the downpipe towards the end of the year when APR released their downpipes and it was cold. When I ran the S3 I would always had about 80lbs of weight reduction(spare tire, floor jack, floor mats, rear trunk tray, etc). When I had my S3 I was very hesitant to jump into the RS3, I mean, it was a $30000 "upgrade" because my car(S3) was already used and devaluated. It was a gamble to buy the RS3 but I think it proven itself to be a great platform.

I would say though that it is a hard decision to let go of a S3, they perform so well for their value. The 981 is the new Boxster turbo right? which are you getting? the 2.0 or the 2.5?, they are both fast. I contemplated getting the 2.0 turbo before I picked the RS3.
    981 is the v6. The 718s are the cyl turbos. The 2.5l is pretty darn quick. If I pick up a 981, it'll have to be an S. If I can get a good deal on a 718, I wouldn't mind getting the base model.
    -Thomas
    Current: /S3
    Previous: B6 A4/B8A4 Avant

AZ Member #

^^The 718 is bad ass!! even the base model.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JuanPablo View Post
    The TTRS is just a beast man!

The outcome would be closer with an RS3 since it has that extra 300lbs.
    Full UM Tune
    The good bolt-ons
    MPI

- Founder of https://www.opendoorfranchises.com/
    ^franchise firm(like real estate but for franchises)