Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA

Wiper Blade Chatter Cure

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The driverís side wiper blade on my A5 has been chattering ever since I purchased the car. I have tried numerous different blades as well as numerous different windshield treatments. Bosch, Amco, OEM, Rain-X blades. Aquapel, Janvil, Rain-X, Gtechniq, F11 topcoat, clay bar. You name it I tried it. All of them worked for a short period of time and then the chatter returned.

Well I think I have finally found the cure. With the last wiper change I noticed that the wiper attachment to the arm had a bit of slop in the connection. I fabricated a small shim with a .018Ē thick piece of plastic and inserted it between the wiper arm and wiper blade attachment. This took all of the slop out of the attachment. So far it seems to have finally cured this annoying issueÖÖ..

If you are dealing with the same issue the pics show what worked for me.

A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

Veteran Member Four Rings JamesRS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nice fix

Products such as gtechniq G1 have to be applied very meticulously or you can create high spots on the glass that will induce juddering or smearing, itís unfortunately an all too common problem with those type of products, you can try applying some product over the wiper blade too but Iím always hesitant to apply it to windshields because itís so problematic.
    If the problem returns, Iíd suggest a machine polisher and cutting compound followed by an IPA wipe over to remove the many layers of product you have on your screen from all those different products and start the application again.
    I accept a Stage II tuned S5 is quicker than an RS5
    Doug convinced me
    He's also the reason I don't come here much

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I have polished and cleaned numerous times. The Janvil I used was a glass polish followed by a glass treatment. I have also cleaned with 91% IPA as well as Acetone (very carefully). I even tried a silicone wipe on the wiper blades. Pretty much everything I tried seemed to work for one or two rain events and then the chatter would return.

So far (fingers crossed) this is the longest I have gone without the chatter.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

Veteran Member Three Rings jschrauwen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A5 3.2 QTip, 00 A4 2.8 QTip, 90 300ZX TT 572whp 590wtq, Ducati TT2

old guy - What wiper blades are those?

I'm looking at replacing my current ones.
    2008 A5|Ice Silver|3.2 QTip|Premium Pkg|Technology Pkg|B&O & JL10W0-4 sub|15/20mm spacers|HID Fogs|Ext. & Int. LED's|RS5 grill|AWE/K&N Intake|Quad tipped OEM mufflers|CF Spoiler & Diffuser|Facelift Ecode Tail lights|CR-15 Strut Bar|Ecode headlights|Alu Kreuz|ProdigyWerks 6pot 2pc 356mm front 350mm 2pc rear BBK|Eibach springs

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I'm currently running the Bosch AeroTwins.

Veteran Member Three Rings jschrauwen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A5 3.2 QTip, 00 A4 2.8 QTip, 90 300ZX TT 572whp 590wtq, Ducati TT2

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I'm currently running the Bosch AeroTwins.
    Thank you sir. I've been using the current wipers for 3 years (since I've owned the A5) and have no idea how old they were (or what make they were) before getting the car.
    I figured it's time to change before the snow flies and was torn between the oem Valeo's or the Bosch Aerotwins.
    I just ordered up a set of Bosch 3397007297 (Aerotwin) blades.
    2008 A5|Ice Silver|3.2 QTip|Premium Pkg|Technology Pkg|B&O & JL10W0-4 sub|15/20mm spacers|HID Fogs|Ext. & Int. LED's|RS5 grill|AWE/K&N Intake|Quad tipped OEM mufflers|CF Spoiler & Diffuser|Facelift Ecode Tail lights|CR-15 Strut Bar|Ecode headlights|Alu Kreuz|ProdigyWerks 6pot 2pc 356mm front 350mm 2pc rear BBK|Eibach springs

Active Member Two Rings spdracer209's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nice fix,
    The first set of Bosch AeroTwins had the chatter, so I contacted the MFG and they sent me a set of replacements, which still had the same issue. I ended up purchasing OEM blades which do not chatter.
    2013 S5 3.0T Premium Plus 6MT, Glacier White, Sport Diff, B&O, Nav, Ti Pkg