Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings crteacher's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Infiniti FX 35; Porsche Boxster

B8 Gurus, I need your opinions please

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi All,

I've owned a B6 Avant and an B7 Avant, which I recently sold about 6 months ago. Dying to get back into a wagon again and found a gorgeous 2011 B8 Avant Premium. Perfect mods in my opinion, all cosmetic, coilovers, wheels, grill, etc. Does have a custom exhaust.

Car has 113,000 miles on it. Drove it and it was great. But it does go through oil, about a quart a week! Yikes. It has not had the stage 1 or 2 work done to it for oil consumption, no timing chain or tensioner. Can get it for $10.5K.

Is this worth getting and putting a little money into the maintenance stuff, or should I just skip it and keep looking? My gut says skip it, but man it's a nice looking wagon.

Thanks for any opinions.

Chris
    2008 2.0 MTQ A4 Avant S-Line/ Stage 1/ 19" Peelers / ST Coilovers / RS4 rear swaybar/ Tinted Windows 35%/ TTS Steering Wheel/ S4 Recaros

AZ Member #

Run away! These issues could/will require far more than "a little money". With that level of oil consumption over an unknown period of time, you may have more than just bad rings/pistons, but also cylinder scoring. The timing issue is a ticking bomb, and would need to addressed ASAP, an expensive repair unless you intend to do DIY.
    Keep looking....
    2011 A4 Avant quattro tiptronic/ Eurocode Sway Bars, End Links, Alu Kreuz/ 034 Catch Can/ Various VagCom

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

If you can talk them down a little and know a good mechanic, I'd be tempted to buy it and drop in a used b8.5 2.0. Youd have all the latest fixes and be good for a bunch more miles.

Established Member Four Rings BeerBrent's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 Avant

Got a link so we can see it?
    I'm as cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 A4 Avant 1.8t quattro tiptronic

Chances are, no matter what Avant you get, you'll have problems with the engine.
    When they changed the engine, 2012and up , they stopped selling the Avant.
    So, if you want a good Avant and this fits the bill, get it but expect either to swap a 2012 and newer motor, or do Stage 1 and 2 and hope for the best.
    If you do the work yourself, a good engine goes for 3k to 3500$.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Quartz Grey '10 A4 Avant Quattro 2.0 Prestige - 267000 KM
    Red '04 A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T tiptronic - 264000 KM
    Ice Silver 2014 Q5 premium - 64000 KM
    ========================================
    Today is a gift, that's why it's called THE PRESENT!

Life is not about the amount of breaths you take. It is the moments that take your breath away.

Registered Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic

Quote Originally Posted by mortimersnerd View Post
    If you can talk them down a little and know a good mechanic, I'd be tempted to buy it and drop in a used b8.5 2.0. Youd have all the latest fixes and be good for a bunch more miles.
    You canít get an B8.5 avant...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    You canít get an B8.5 avant...

I'm talking about an engine swap with a low miles unit from a 2013+. Newer tensioner, no oil issues, etc.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '09 B8 A4 2.0t quattro '15 Q5 3.0T

I would stay away. Get one with <100k miles. Audi just settled the timing chain class action and will replace the tensioners AND chains for free, but ONLY for cars with <10yrs, <100k miles if I remember the form correctly. The timing chain issue is a ticking time bomb imo. so no sense in buying one that audi won't do the repair on for free.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrent View Post
    Got a link so we can see it?
    Car is on consignment. Friend owns the business and the actual owner of the car is a friend as well, so giving me a better price

https://luxmotorcars.com/2011-Audi-A...4/Details.aspx
    2008 2.0 MTQ A4 Avant S-Line/ Stage 1/ 19" Peelers / ST Coilovers / RS4 rear swaybar/ Tinted Windows 35%/ TTS Steering Wheel/ S4 Recaros

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '09 B8 A4 2.0t quattro '15 Q5 3.0T

If you buy it, I would immediately replace the chains and tensioners. I think my job came out to 1700 ish at a independent shop.

Established Member Four Rings BeerBrent's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by crteacher View Post
    Car is on consignment. Friend owns the business and the actual owner of the car is a friend as well, so giving me a better price

https://luxmotorcars.com/2011-Audi-A...4/Details.aspx
    Beautiful car. I love the look of the dual exhaust on both sides.
    I'm as cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

If it was closer to Ny Iíd scoop it before you lol.

Whyíd he get rid of it though? Seems like a lot of money was put into it.

Senior Member Two Rings ILVTRANCE's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 B6 S4 Avant

It looks beautiful, but I agree it will be a money pit. Get it on the cheap, and just buy a new engine.

red flags: it burns a quart a week?!

on another note. I have a B6 S4 Avant ;) for sale all the work has been done already.
    2005 B6 S4 Avant FI Fullback
    2011 B8 A4 APR Stage 1 - DD

Active Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

So I would stay away if it burns that much oil. Or factor in about $7k to have a shop install a replacement used motor. So burning that much oil will soon result in misfires and problems associated with the burning oil gumming components up.

Also, if you do want to go ahead, look at the coolant. Something seems wrong with it, judging by photo 9. Itís too dark; it looks like something is contaminating it.

Last edited by blgilles; 09-14-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Established Member Four Rings Spawne32's Avatar
    AZ Member #

A quart a week of oil is a new engine. Audi isnt going to warranty the oil consumption repair, which means its out of pocket for you. Even if you did it yourself at home in your driveway, your looking at several thousand dollars. Most people chuck the CAEB for the CPMA or newer. Personally, I hate avant's, something about a station wagon screams 1970's to me. While it looks well kept, that doesn't mean it doesn't need major mechanical repair. I paid 10.5 for my quattro premium sedan 2 years ago with only 89k on it. Found out hours later after I got it home that the reason the people traded it in for a new dodge was because the water pump was leaking, and audi wanted 1000 dollars to replace it.

AZ Member #

I'd say the car has the sport seats which are nice, and the exhaust looks good but all avants are dual exhaust so not too hard to replicate whats been done. The coils are ok but not exceptional quality and the rs grille is 130 shipped on ebay. All told, the extras are all pretty repeatable.

I was in a similar boat when I bought my 2011 Avant sline/prestige in Feb. I looked at a 2010 locally in Portland. It had 120K miles but was in perfect condition, and the top end was rebuilt by audi at about 100k miles. Had every option but was silver (meh for me) and a 6 speed automatic (8 speed didn't show up until 11). I tried to negotiate them down but we couldn't come to a deal.

I ended up finding my ideal color (ibis white) from a dealer in Sacremento (oddly enough, small world). It had the 8 speed transmission and the same sline/prestige options. When I flew down the oil was showing low on the dash, but the price was 3k under what the local car was priced at and had been dealer maintained. I hoped as such that if oil had been an issue they would have sorted that out, but I pulled the trigger knowing the engine may burn oil...

6 months later and I'm burning a quart every couple hundred miles. Im ok with that given the options on my car were super expensive and I would have spent the same amount for the local car but ended up with a car in a color I didn't love, more miles on the odometer, and no 8 speed transmission. I'd do it again today, even knowing what I know now.

This has some nice options but I don't think the price is that good all things considered. To me this seems pretty close to full price but with some significant issues. If you could get it for less, say 9k Id say its worth it.

AZ Member #

Wow $10.5 is a LOT of money... Heck for that amount I'll sell you my 2012 with 55k miles on it with pretty much the same mods!!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    Wow $10.5 is a LOT of money... Heck for that amount I'll sell you my 2012 with 55k miles on it with pretty much the same mods!!
    LGHT, would love some more info on your car! Maybe PM some details because I really want to get back into a wagon.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thank you so much everyone for your quick input! This Audi community is fantastic!

As much as I love this car, I think I'm going to pass. This would end up being my daily driver and family car, and while I could probably swing a new engine if I really had to, I don't want to.

Sounds like I'll keep up the search.

If anyone else has any other recommendations or thoughts, I'm still all ears.

Thanks!

Chris

Established Member Three Rings Novarider's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by blgilles View Post
    So I would stay away if it burns that much oil. Or factor in about $7k to have a shop install a replacement used motor. So burning that much oil will soon result in misfires and problems associated with the burning oil gumming components up.

Also, if you do want to go ahead, look at the coolant. Something seems wrong with it, judging by photo 9. Itís too dark; it looks like something is contaminating it.

Was gonna say the same thing about the coolant. It looks black
    2011 A4 Avant Prestige S-Line

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    2012 avant with those mods and only 55k miles? Post it in the classifieds, it won't last long.

Established Member Four Rings Spawne32's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Oh wow, didnt even see that coolant bottle, looks like a big problem there.

Veteran Member Three Rings audrobotic's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yeah the G13 should look like delicious pink koolaid. (And for goodness sake why does Audi/VW print G12 on the resevoir when youre supposed to use G13?)

Good choice on the pass. Just find a cheap Avant and account for an B8.5 engine swap. Dont mess with oil consumption and timing chain tensioners. Just swap the engine out. ...If you must have an Avant.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by audrobotic View Post
    Yeah the G13 should look like delicious pink koolaid. (And for goodness sake why does Audi/VW print G12 on the resevoir when youre supposed to use G13?)

Good choice on the pass. Just find a cheap Avant and account for an B8.5 engine swap. Dont mess with oil consumption and timing chain tensioners. Just swap the engine out. ...If you must have an Avant.
    Because they used G12 before G13 was introduced and it's all compatible .
    2011 A4 Avant quattro tiptronic/ Eurocode Sway Bars, End Links, Alu Kreuz/ 034 Catch Can/ Various VagCom

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thatíd be a mega build, You must be in love in love with the avant

AZ Member #

Thank you so much everyone for your quick input! This Audi community is fantastic!

As much as I love this car, I think I'm going to pass. This would end up being my daily driver and family car, and while I could probably swing a new engine if I really had to, I don't want to.

Sounds like I'll keep up the search.

If anyone else has any other recommendations or thoughts, I'm still all ears.

Thanks!

Chris
    Good call. And good idea to post here pre-decision. I made th mistake of not doing that. The community here is indeed super helpful!

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 A4 Avant 1.8t quattro tiptronic

Or look for an Allroad! 2013 and up

Quartz Grey '10 A4 Avant Quattro 2.0 Prestige - 267000 KM
    Red '04 A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T tiptronic - 264000 KM
    Ice Silver 2014 Q5 premium - 64000 KM
    ========================================
    Today is a gift, that's why it's called THE PRESENT!

Life is not about the amount of breaths you take. It is the moments that take your breath away.

AZ Member #

Thatís such a good way to phrase it: ďG13 should look like delicious pink koolaidď

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by doc_oc View Post
    Or look for an Allroad! 2013 and up

The Allroad is probably the best choice all kidding aside

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    The Allroad is probably the best choice all kidding aside

Really wish I could swing an Allroad. A little out of my budget at the moment. I think I'll have to grab one down the road. But now I guess I'm on the hunt for a clean B7 Titanium Avant or a B6 Avant Ultrasport. We shall see. Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it!

Chris

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blgilles View Post
    Good call. And good idea to post here pre-decision. I made th mistake of not doing that. The community here is indeed super helpful!
    Very glad I checked here first! Was going to pick up the car today. Sounds like I dodged a bullet.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Really wish I could swing an Allroad. A little out of my budget at the moment. I think I'll have to grab one down the road. But now I guess I'm on the hunt for a clean B7 Titanium Avant or a B6 Avant Ultrasport. We shall see. Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it!

Chris
    I see you have a B7 Avant already is there a reason why youíre trying to trade up? They do sell the Black optic grill for yours if thatís all you want thatís different?

Maybe save up a bit and get what you really want the Allroad.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I sold the B7 about 6 months ago and have regretted it ever since. Ugh. It was such a nice car. If I stumble on something else Iíll snag it, but if that doesnít happen Iíll get an Allroad at some point.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I sold the B7 about 6 months ago and have regretted it ever since. Ugh. It was such a nice car. If I stumble on something else Iíll snag it, but if that doesnít happen Iíll get an Allroad at some point.
    Save because if you buy something to get you through itíll only set you back longer.

AZ Member #

Read this thread with interest as I have a B6 Avant (Stage 3) and I'm always contemplating something crazy.... like buying a high mileage B8 Avant for about $3k and dropping in B8.5 engine ($3k?) and 6-speed manual tranny ($1k?) and $1k on suspension refresh and have a 2009-2010 high mileage chassis with reliable, fun drivetrain.
    Is that crazy thinking?
    2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Avant / 6-speed / Ultrasport - Unicorn rescue operation in progress.
    WTB: Mint condition silver B6 passenger fender.

AZ Member #

I think a good number of folks are doing that. If you have the time, tools, and tenacity, I think it works out to be pretty neat.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by eljay View Post
    Read this thread with interest as I have a B6 Avant (Stage 3) and I'm always contemplating something crazy.... like buying a high mileage B8 Avant for about $3k and dropping in B8.5 engine ($3k?) and 6-speed manual tranny ($1k?) and $1k on suspension refresh and have a 2009-2010 high mileage chassis with reliable, fun drivetrain.
    Is that crazy thinking?
    As long as you don't care about resale value due to the high milage I'd say go for it. Another option would be to save up more funds and do a s4 swap into a b8 avant but that's a bit more expensive.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    As long as you don't care about resale value due to the high milage I'd say go for it. Another option would be to save up more funds and do a s4 swap into a b8 avant but that's a bit more expensive.
    That's certainly the ultimate wagon here, but requires a complete donor car, so yes, quite expensive and very hard to find.
    2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Avant / 6-speed / Ultrasport - Unicorn rescue operation in progress.
    WTB: Mint condition silver B6 passenger fender.