Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings deucescorner's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Audi Q3 S-Line Tecnik Black Optics

Any risks on running rich after test pipe install

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I recently installed test pipes on the car, car is tuned Giac dual pulley. I put the 90 degree spacers on but occasionally I get a CEL that throws of P013F Lean/Rich.

Iím just wondering if here are any risks involved if the car runs richer post test pipe install. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 Audi A7 S-line (current)
    2016 Audi Q3 S-Line (wife)
    2005 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T Stage II (SOLD)
    2001 BMW 325ci Convertible (SOLD)
    2000 Audi A6 2.7T (SOLD)

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4 Avant, 05 Silver S4 2.7t swap

The pipes arenít changing how fuel is burned. You are getting the error because the cats are removed and the ecu is calibrated to measure the fuel trims with them in place not test pipes with a spacer.

Established Member Two Rings KLX's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yep when I had TP's on the car you could really smell the fuel in the exhaust..
    2015 S4 B8.5 Premium Plus
    APR Stage 2 Dual Pully
    ECS Front 2-Piece Tru-Float Wave Brake Rotors
    APR Coolant Performance System
    AWE Touring Edition Cat Back
    H&R Sport Springs /KONI Sport Yellow Shocks
    ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Technik Intake System

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KLX View Post
    Yep when I had TP's on the car you could really smell the fuel in the exhaust..
    Ya I can smell the fuel but only when the windows are down but are there any risks car wise?

2000 Audi A6 2.7T (SOLD)

Established Member Two Rings KLX's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by deucescorner View Post
    Ya I can smell the fuel but only when the windows are down but are there any risks car wise?

The*car*doesn't need the*catalytic converter, so should work just fine*without*it. However, if you live somewhere that requires a*catalytic converter, your*car*may not be legal anymore if you remove it. ... If the*car*fails, you*can't register it, and you*can't drive it.
    2015 S4 B8.5 Premium Plus
    APR Stage 2 Dual Pully
    ECS Front 2-Piece Tru-Float Wave Brake Rotors
    APR Coolant Performance System
    AWE Touring Edition Cat Back
    H&R Sport Springs /KONI Sport Yellow Shocks
    ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Technik Intake System

Active Member Two Rings US3lessRooster's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Any risks on running rich after test pipe install

Quote Originally Posted by KLX View Post
    The*car*doesn't need the*catalytic converter, so should work just fine*without*it. However, if you live somewhere that requires a*catalytic converter, your*car*may not be legal anymore if you remove it. ... If the*car*fails, you*can't register it, and you*can't drive it.
    Maybe Iím reading this wrong and forgive me if I am, but are you saying once you go catless you wonít be able to pass emissions testing? Couldnít this simply be fixed by replacing said test pipe with a catted pipe? Or is there more to it than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by US3lessRooster View Post
    Maybe Iím reading this wrong and forgive me if I am, but are you saying once you go catless you wonít be able to pass emissions testing? Couldnít this simply be fixed by replacing said test pipe with a catted pipe? Or is there more to it than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Ya your have to add a catalytic converter somewhere lower in the downstream to avoid it failing.

2000 Audi A6 2.7T (SOLD)

Established Member Three Rings FromRagsToS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Risk? Yes. You risk burning out the packing material at least at your first X-Pipe.

https://youtu.be/ej-QPkmA6A0

Established Member Two Rings BigKeshy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by US3lessRooster View Post

Quote Originally Posted by deucescorner View Post
    Ya your have to add a catalytic converter somewhere lower in the downstream to avoid it failing.
    Depends on your state. If you're only required to pass ODII readiness, people have had success using O2 spacers to fool the sensors into believing the car is emissions compliant. If you're also required to pass visual inspection (or sniffer test for some reason), test pipes will obviously fail.

Adding a cat in somewhere downstream is certainly helpful in reducing unnecessary pollutants from coming off your car. But again, depending on the state the aftermarket cat may not pass muster because it's not OEM (See California CARB certification).
    2013 B8.5 S4 MT

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

To the original question, you aren't running rich after a test pipe install. You may be getting a CEL because the downstream O2 sensor is indicating the catalytic converter efficiency is wrong (and it is because there's no catalytic converter). The gas smell is the VOCs and other stuff that we associate with the smell of burnt fuel that is no longer being converted to CO2 and H2O by the processes that the catalytic converter handles. The upstream O2 sensor, the one before where the cat used to be, is the one the the ECU uses to determine the air/fuel mix. The function and functionality of the upstream sensor has not changed.

Rules for catalytic converters obviously differ by state. A problem with any non-OEM (non-stock) catalytic converter replacement is that it may not have the same efficiency of the stock catalytic converter or exhibit other problems that still cause the ECU to throw the CEL. This is one reason why the use of spacers on the downstream O2 can work but is tricky because you have to get the O2 spaced out just right for the voltages to the ECU to be in the expected ranges.

Note: I didn't look up your specific code. If it really is a lean/rich code and not a cat efficiency code then that's a tune problem and I'd be on the phone with the tuner.
    Last edited by chilort; 09-18-2018 at 02:03 PM.