Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings B. Rock's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    91 CQ

Coolant Crossover Pipe

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Per the recommendation of most on here, I snagged the crossover pipe (#4) while I have the blower off for PCV replacement. However, #22 looks like it'd be prone to heat cracking as well but I don't see anyone replacing it. It's only $35 so I'm probably going to do it anyway, anyone else BTDT?
    Cooling System Snip.PNG
    90 CQ - stroked and wide
    13 SHO
    09 A6 Avant 3.0t
    96 FZJ80

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

That's a good point. I've yet to see someone mention replacing that pipe. I think that #22 runs sandwiched under the IM/ over the PCV box, correct? I'd think that it sees more heat than even the x-over pipe... and yet no one replaces it?
    07 A6 3.2- Out & In- Morimoto 5500k & Nokya 2500k, DeAutoLED Reverse, LP, & Footwells, Ziza Full Interior, 10" lo-pro Pioneer, Audi Aluminum Pedals
    Drivetrain & Suspension- Stoptech X-Drilled & Sport Pads, ST X-Coilovers, Hacked Airbox with aFe, Resonator Delete

"What is best in life? -Kill your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women" Conan the Barbarian

Established Member Two Rings B. Rock's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    91 CQ

Bingo. I was scratching my head when I took the blower off and saw it sitting there, right in the middle of the V, but didn't see any mention of failure or replacement.
    90 CQ - stroked and wide
    13 SHO
    09 A6 Avant 3.0t
    96 FZJ80

Established Member Two Rings juniorcruzer's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Suburban

I had to replace that exact pipe, 22, when I replaced the PCV...that is where my invisible coolant loss was coming from. Has to come out to replace the PCV, so for the price, would absolutely recommend replacing.

Jon
    2010 S4 3.0T, chipwerks stage I
    2010 A6 3.0T, APR Stage 2+, Roc Euro Intake, VMR V710 18x9.5 HyperSilver, 30% tint, A3 clear marker lights, LED Reverse lights, RS6 Grill

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Very interesting Jon, thanks for your feedback.

This is a tube that feeds (or brings back) coolant from the heater core behind the firewall, is it not?

This may be looking further into it than merited, but...
    I wonder since it doesn't get used year round, it doesn't see the wear and tear that other cooling system components see. I've yet to hear of anyone here replacing a heater system coolant-component (besides Jon above mentioning it was the culprit of his invisible coolant loss). If this observation is true, I wonder then... how much of our cooling system's wear and tear is caused by plastic becoming brittle due to heat cycles, versus the combination of heat cycles and cooling system becoming acidic over time? For example, we far more often replace items that are under constant flow (x-over pipe, t-stat, for example), contrasted by how seldom we hear of replacing heater system components that do not get used as often. Heater components are still under the same pressure as the rest of the cooling system, but only see coolant FLOW when the heater is on.
    // end rambling lol
    07 A6 3.2- Out & In- Morimoto 5500k & Nokya 2500k, DeAutoLED Reverse, LP, & Footwells, Ziza Full Interior, 10" lo-pro Pioneer, Audi Aluminum Pedals
    Drivetrain & Suspension- Stoptech X-Drilled & Sport Pads, ST X-Coilovers, Hacked Airbox with aFe, Resonator Delete

"What is best in life? -Kill your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women" Conan the Barbarian

Veteran Member Three Rings cal3thousand's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1994 Volvo 850 Turbo

FWIW, I inspected that tube and found it to be in good condition. So I just replaced the seal at the end.
    Danton Black: 2009 Audi C6.5 A6 Sedan (Quattro, 3.0T, Prestige)
    I miss my Avant, longing for a 2011 3.0T
    Dead:
    Griselda, aka Grizzy: 2007 Audi C6 A6 Avant (Quattro, S-Line)

Just some small cosmetic mods while getting to Stage 0

Need MMI 2G High update info? PM me.