Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring in_an_instant's Avatar
    AZ Member #

TAG > H&R VTF Height Adjustable Springs

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I ordered the H&R VTF height adjustable springs from Carlos at TAG back on 8/23. Carlos was great, I opted for the H&R's primarily because the K&W's were on an 8 week backorder from Germany. I received the VTF kit within 48 hours.. I then contacted Tom at APTuning in Lebanon PA (amazing shop, I put 40K miles on my 2012 TTRS post I/H/E install with tune and ZERO flaws) for the install. I LOVE THOSE GUYS. TOM, I LOVE YOU. I had zero concerns at this point because I've ran H&R on both our n54 and n55 based cars in the past. Aggressive and a bit stiff? Yes. Total remorse after 6 months sitting on H&R vs. cushy Eibach... None.

After 2 visits to their shop and easily 16 hours of labor and 15 hours of travel, there was some issues. Tom shared a video with me of the front springs jumping on their lower perch that he immediately sent to H&R. It's very annoying, like a DSM on chopped springs when at a stop. If I turn my wheel left or right, they bind and pop. Having dealt with spring installs on basically everything I've owned, I didn't think much of it at first. Perhaps just a tweak here and there and good. Then I put my S5 on ramps and looked for myself. It's a disaster.

I called H&R directly and was told their engineers in Germany were notified. That was over a week ago.

I have a team in Munich on stand-up daily (I'm a software architect) so I know what that means. Ryan from H&R seemed great. I felt like somehow, even though I'm easily 2k into this with alignment, I'd be taken care of.

Then I found this:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...29098836ea.pngH&

Of course this was after my debacle.

So I ask, am I wrong to feel as though TAG duped me (NOT Carlos, TAG) given they've personally experienced the exact same fail from the parts they sold me?

-Mike
    ---
    2018 S5 SB Prestige in MBM: Bone stock for now

Senior Member Two Rings NC_Detail_Garage's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B9 S4

I've been dealing w/ the same pop just from the right front corner on my ABT HAS. It's been back to the tech 3x over the past six months with no luck. At this point, I'm simply rotating the spring (temporary fix) and living with the noise. Fortunately, it only happens at larger turns of the wheel. We contacted ABT after the first install and received the the similar 'we'll talk to the engineers' and get back to you. Of course, no response.

That said, many others have the same setup as myself and don't have the noise.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Mops@Nemesis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Detail_Garage View Post
    I've been dealing w/ the same pop just from the right front corner on my ABT HAS. It's been back to the tech 3x over the past six months with no luck. At this point, I'm simply rotating the spring (temporary fix) and living with the noise. Fortunately, it only happens at larger turns of the wheel. We contacted ABT after the first install and received the the similar 'we'll talk to the engineers' and get back to you. Of course, no response.

Hey Larry,

I didn't realize you still had this issue. Let me know if I can reach out to ABT. Simply email me with a description of what's going on, what's been done etc, and I'll jump on it. I've sold at least 25 ABT HAS setups for the B9, and I've not had another report back with issues. Let's get it sorted!
    034Motorsport | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Sparco | Stoptech | TSW | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

Veteran Member Four Rings will13k7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

crap. I think I have that same issue with H&R VTFs. the front driver's side clunks a lot, was hoping it was just an install mishap. other than that, they were very bouncy for almost a month before they seemed to break in, but now rides nice.

please update with any resolution from H&R.

Veteran Member Four Rings will13k7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by in_an_instant View Post
    So I ask, am I wrong to feel as though TAG duped me (NOT Carlos, TAG) given they've personally experienced the exact same fail from the parts they sold me?
    they probably hoped it was a one-off manufacturing problem.

Registered Member One Ring ukan16's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Detail_Garage View Post

I have the ABT HAS as well, but haven't installed them yet. Is there anything during the install that can be tried to help avoid the issue or is it just a random problem for some?

Senior Member Two Rings NC_Detail_Garage's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B9 S4

Quote Originally Posted by Mops@Nemesis View Post
    Hey Larry,

I didn't realize you still had this issue. Let me know if I can reach out to ABT. Simply email me with a description of what's going on, what's been done etc, and I'll jump on it. I've sold at least 25 ABT HAS setups for the B9, and I've not had another report back with issues. Let's get it sorted!
    I hear you, it's not terrible. I'll draft an email this week.