Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: S4 to RS4???

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

S4 to RS4???

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Has anyone made the switch? The more I look at the RS4s, the more I want to trade in the B5.

Any suggestions or comments? Thanks in advance.

Established Member Two Rings csobel's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jrieder View Post
    Has anyone made the switch? The more I look at the RS4s, the more I want to trade in the B5.

Any suggestions or comments? Thanks in advance.
    Which RS4 are you thinking about?? I'm sure many people would like to get an RS4 but either the B5 or B7 RS4 are cost prohibitive.

AZ Member #

I was looking towards the B7 line. Are they that bad??

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nobody really says they are bad. Like any German engineered vehicle, they need special attention. That would really just include carbon cleaning, then other maintenance stuff costs more than it does for your other average Audi (ie brake rotor and pads change, heavier car so you go through tires faster, etc).

It is a preference thing. Some dream of getting that car, acquire it and never let it go. While other's pick one up, enjoy it a few years, and resell. You can't really compare the drive of a naturally aspirated V8 to a twin turbo V6, just like how you can't compare a single turbo inline 4 (1.8t) to a twin turbo V6 (2.7t).

With that being said, one of my dream cars is the B7 RS4...but supercharged. But I would choose an AMG over that.
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like a bitch

Veteran Member Four Rings MacDaddy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

That engine has a lot of issues thanks to direct injection, i think timing chains were adressed on the rs4ís though.

Cool car but dont expect it to be any easier on the wallet.

Veteran Member Three Rings bshanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    94 MR2, 92 MR2

Had a B5 S4 years ago and a B7 RS4 more recently.. The B7 was a a great car, reasonably more modern but here at elevation (5200 ft) it was the slowest 420hp on the road. Power was super smooth and never topped out but it wasn't a big surge like the B5, i ended up with a full capristo exhaust with APR downpipes and a JHM tune. Sounded amazing but not even close to fast.

If it means anything to you, my progression was B5 S4 -> B8 2.0t A4 -> B6 1.8t A4 + B7 RS4 -> B8 2.0t avant -> B5 RS4. The B5 chassis is just hard to beat as far as size, responsiveness, and looks imo. Honestly do regret selling the B7 but if i could only have one i'd chose the B5.

OEM windshield sunshade, rear seat pet cover, microfibre clothe, official audi camelbak water bottle, beanie

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bshanna View Post
    Had a B5 S4 years ago and a B7 RS4 more recently.. The B7 was a a great car, reasonably more modern but here at elevation (5200 ft) it was the slowest 420hp on the road. Power was super smooth and never topped out but it wasn't a big surge like the B5, i ended up with a full capristo exhaust with APR downpipes and a JHM tune. Sounded amazing but not even close to fast.

If it means anything to you, my progression was B5 S4 -> B8 2.0t A4 -> B6 1.8t A4 + B7 RS4 -> B8 2.0t avant -> B5 RS4. The B5 chassis is just hard to beat as far as size, responsiveness, and looks imo. Honestly do regret selling the B7 but if i could only have one i'd chose the B5.
    Gotcha. I'm at 5200 ft as well, so would be in a similar boat. One of the main draws for me is the aesthetic. They look so sick imo haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seerlah View Post
    Nobody really says they are bad. Like any German engineered vehicle, they need special attention. That would really just include carbon cleaning, then other maintenance stuff costs more than it does for your other average Audi (ie brake rotor and pads change, heavier car so you go through tires faster, etc).

It is a preference thing. Some dream of getting that car, acquire it and never let it go. While other's pick one up, enjoy it a few years, and resell. You can't really compare the drive of a naturally aspirated V8 to a twin turbo V6, just like how you can't compare a single turbo inline 4 (1.8t) to a twin turbo V6 (2.7t).

With that being said, one of my dream cars is the B7 RS4...but supercharged. But I would choose an AMG over that.
    You thinking the C63 AMG? That was the other one I had my eye on......

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    94 MR2, 92 MR2

Quote Originally Posted by jrieder View Post
    Gotcha. I'm at 5200 ft as well, so would be in a similar boat. One of the main draws for me is the aesthetic. They look so sick imo haha.
    Agreed. The only thing better than a B7 RS4 is a B7 RS4 avant

My old B7 ...
    IMG_20150309_210004_928.jpg

OEM windshield sunshade, rear seat pet cover, microfibre clothe, official audi camelbak water bottle, beanie

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

There was a green b7 rs4 avant on BAT recently as in a week or two ago. It didnít meet the reserve when the bidding ended at $45k.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    94 MR2, 92 MR2

Quote Originally Posted by landfill View Post
    There was a green b7 rs4 avant on BAT recently as in a week or two ago. It didnít meet the reserve when the bidding ended at $45k.
    it was an B7 S4 avant conversion :/ Still looked really well done but not quite the same...