Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Trying to decide if I should buy an extended warranty

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi - I know there are other similar threads, but I'm trying to collect some more specific information. I am driving a 2015 MT S4. It is currently stock, but I have considered going to stage 2 at some point (would the warranty still be good if I tune it).

My factory warranty is expiring soon and I'm trying to figure out if an extended warranty is worth it or not. The quotes i'm getting are $4k+ for 3+ year platinum plans, with deductibles from $50-$250.

My car only has around 38k miles currently, and I only drive around 20 miles/day.

The way I look at it, these warranties are pretty much a gamble - structured intentionally to make money for the warranty company in the long run. That said, there is some peace of mind to knowing I'm covered. I'm trying to understand what the typical things are that go wrong in these cars as they age. I'm still pretty low in miles, and don't drive the car rough. How likely is it that I would have more than $4k in repairs over the next 3 years? I don't think I spent that much in repairs for my last car over 10 years, although that was an Accord, not an Audi.

What are some likely repairs that would be this expensive? Or should I look at the warranty as more of a protection against some sort of catastrophic failure? From what I understand, any repairs involving the MMI are crazy expensive. Is this likely? Is the warranty more necessary if I decide to tune the car?

I'm really torn here - any information or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks -
    W

Established Member Two Rings darkrock's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm on the same boat.. warranty expires in March but I don't think I'm getting an extended warranty. Already had tensioners and t stat replaced. Should be fine for a while considering I only drive it once or twice a week

Sent from my SM-G950U using Audizine mobile app
    2015 S4 6MT Premium+
    Sport Diff, Brilliant Black, Alcantara, Carbon Atlas, B&O, Tech pkg
    H&R OE Sports, ECS intake, ECS x-pipe, ECS flush kit, Magnaflow 11385, Carbon Imports Low Kick, 3M 20% tint

Previous:
    B5 S4 6MT AWE Stage 3
    B6 S4 6MT stock

Active Member Two Rings mbiro594's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Where are you getting the quotes? What are the names of the warranty companies youíre looking into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

If you tune the engine, a warranty will usually not cover engine issues. DSG repairs are pricey, but if you have a manual, a warranty is probably not needed as the B8.5's are pretty darn reliable. DSG and sport diff are the expensive repairs from what I've read.

If you do go with an extended warranty, I would recommend the Audi Pure Protection Platinum but Fidelity has good options too. You can get a 7yr/70K APPP with $100 deductible for roughly $3,000 from Troy Dietrich at FD Warranty - he has excellent reviews from Audizine members.

AZ Member #

With a M/T I would worry less and not bother with an extended warranty especially with the price you were quoted. I paid an extra 2k CAD for 2 additional years and 80k km to get the CPO warranty when I purchased so that car is covered until mid 2021 (I have the DSG).

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1984 Audi 4000S Quattro, 1989 Toyota MR2 SC, 1960 Alfa Spider

I bought one for my 2012 a few years ago and haven't used it once.

AZ Member #

As you have already stated, the warranty companies are making money. This means you as the consumer are losing money on average. Take that 3-4k, invest it, and dig into it when you have a big repair. Do this over the long run and you will be ahead of the game. You might lose over a 4 year period, but you wont over a 15+ year period.
    Current: 2014 S4
    Sold: 2008 911
    Sold: B6 S4
    Sold: B5 S4
    Sold: B5 A4

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Empty...for now...

I have a 2015S4 6MT with 48050 miles on the clock and ~6 weeks remaining on factory warranty. I will not be getting an extended warranty for the following reasons:

* I am gambling on the 6MT transmission remaining reliable as long as I treat it well
    * I have an aftermarket ECU tune
    * I like the car now and have told myself that I want to keep for for at least a couple more years, but if the wind changes and I get the itch to move on sooner then I don't want to feel bound by this expensive warranty that I'd be throwing away (assuming it's not transferable)
    * I've had the timing chain tensioners replaced once under warranty and went on record last month with the dealer that the rattling sound and startup is present again. They could not reproduce it, but it's in my service records that I reported it while under warranty. I plan to go back in before the warranty expires to complain again (get it in the records once more) so I can use that as leverage if/when it becomes a bigger issue when outside of warranty.
    * If/when the clutch needs replaced, it wouldn't be covered by any warranty anyway
    * Buying a warranty is a guaranteed $$$$ expense now, as opposed to betting on the car and only having the chance of spending $$$$ later to repair.
    2015 Daytona Gray S4
    6MT / Sport Diff / B&O / Tech Pkg / Carbon Atlas / Black Alcantara
    Mods: S5 Peelers, Xpel Ultimate, 3M Color Stable Tint 35%, Bilstein PSS10, Euro Code Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sway Bars, Moog Endlinks, CR-15, Eurocode Meisterwerk ASTS, AWE Resonated Touring Exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik Intake, 034 Transmission Mount, HCX LED 3000k Fog Lights, Apikol Rear Diff Mount

Veteran Member Four Rings sacandagaD's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 S4 P+, 2015 BMW X3 M-sport, 2005 Honda Element, Arrived at dealer : 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

A 2015 w/MT, I'd skip the warranty, and bank the cost of it, if it were me. You have pretty much the latest generation of the model, roll the dice.
    2015 P+, Sepang Blue, Black/Black Alcantara, Tech package, Sport Diff, DSG, Carbon inlays, B&O, Hard wired V1, CR-15, 3M film, 19" PSS/Hartmann Rotor reps, Akebonos, LED interior and reverse lights, ZxE fogs, CW Pro, Soundakator mute, RS Rep grille.

Loved but traded: 2011 S4 P+, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Black/Silver Alcantara

AZ Member #

I would skip it especially being a manual. If your car is tuned and they found out it wouldn't be covered anyways.
    14' Phantom black pearl, DSG, AWE touring, Bathursts 19x9.5, 30% 3m tint, rs4 grill, led fogs, Bilstien B12 with H&R sport, V1 radar.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 STI - full suspension upgrade, Stage II+, 2015 M235 coupe

Quote Originally Posted by s4tress View Post
    Hi - I know there are other similar threads, but I'm trying to collect some more specific information. I am driving a 2015 MT S4. It is currently stock, but I have considered going to stage 2 at some point (would the warranty still be good if I tune it).

My factory warranty is expiring soon and I'm trying to figure out if an extended warranty is worth it or not. The quotes i'm getting are $4k+ for 3+ year platinum plans, with deductibles from $50-$250.

My car only has around 38k miles currently, and I only drive around 20 miles/day.

The way I look at it, these warranties are pretty much a gamble - structured intentionally to make money for the warranty company in the long run. That said, there is some peace of mind to knowing I'm covered. I'm trying to understand what the typical things are that go wrong in these cars as they age. I'm still pretty low in miles, and don't drive the car rough. How likely is it that I would have more than $4k in repairs over the next 3 years? I don't think I spent that much in repairs for my last car over 10 years, although that was an Accord, not an Audi.

What are some likely repairs that would be this expensive? Or should I look at the warranty as more of a protection against some sort of catastrophic failure? From what I understand, any repairs involving the MMI are crazy expensive. Is this likely? Is the warranty more necessary if I decide to tune the car?

I'm really torn here - any information or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks -
    W
    All aftmkt and Audi can exclude repairs if a car is Tuned or has other aftmkt parts. So a tune could result in drive train exclusion. Lowering springs can cause exclusion of some of the suspension components, etc. Spending the money on an extended warranty is already a gamble...but adding aftmkt parts has the potential to make it worthless.

Active Member Two Rings mbiro594's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I am a Finance manager at a specialty car dealership and did not purchase a warranty which I can get at cost. I planned on tuning my 14 DSG S4, and from what Iíve researched these cars are pretty solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks everyone. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I think I will probably hold off on the warranty and take the gamble.

SteveYem - I have the exact same car as you, color and all. Love it. And will love it even more if it behaves for the next 3 years!

Senior Member Two Rings Tom Sawyer's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Great thread, have literally been gathering quotes on my '16 DSG this week. Range is from ~$3400 (Audi Platinum) to over $8000 with Fidelity (!?!?). By far, the Audi warranty was the best deal, added another 8 yrs given my in-service date and up to 100k. I will tune to stage 2 eventually, so concern about voiding is a consideration and I'm guessing any of the really big things (drivetrain) could easily be denied with a tuned car.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to gamble, keep the $3k to the side just in case and enjoy the car. I'm guessing that some of the common things are sorted by the 2016 model (timing chain tensioners, water pump, etc.), so hoping I'll be OK; time will tell. No doubt the car will be 100% more solid/reliable than my '03 RS6 .
    2016 S4 P+ DSG, Florett Silver Metallic, Panda Nappa Leather, Tech/B&O with tweaks/Side Assist, Dynamic Suspension, Sport Diff; Eurocode Intake, CR-15

Gone but not forgotten: 2000 B5 S4, 2004 B6 S4, 2003 RS6

Veteran Member Four Rings Dr GP's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lexus RX 350

Quote Originally Posted by onlyaudis View Post
    I bought one for my 2012 a few years ago and haven't used it once.
    Me 2. I spent $2700 for one on a 2011 with 49k miles and never had need for a claim in 3 yrs and 25k miles. I would put the money you would spend on a warranty into a slush fund and use it for repairs or tires brakes rotors plug belts,You will be ahead if the game even if you do need repairs.

Veteran Member Four Rings blackfunk's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The most expensive part of these cars used to be the DSG - which early on dealers were just swapping units. I haven't heard about that type of issue in quite awhile. Now it seems that a fluid change and/or a mech board change is all thats needed to get 99% of the DSG units back on the road. I haven't heard of any major engine failures - and I had my engine swapped for a new unit under warranty but that was because the dealership was proactive as I did not have any symptoms or issues. Suspension issues seem to be few and far between with little cost involved - control arms and wheel bearing being the most prevalent. I feel confident in suggesting you give me your cash and I'll do any warranty work for you. LOL
    Life has taught me never try to make something idiot proof, they'll simply come up with a better idiot.