Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nano909 View Post
    Some people don't mind this stuff going into their engine, but I do. To each their own.
    You also live in California.
    2011 A4 Avant quattro tiptronic/ Eurocode Sway Bars, End Links, Alu Kreuz/ 034 Catch Can/ Various VagCom

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 2.0T

Some people don't mind this stuff going into their engine, but I do. To each their own.
    Drain some oil. Blend it with water and fuel. Thereís way nastier stuff in oil than what you see there.

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA

Let me start off by stating that I am not arguing for or against catch cans. My intent is to answer the OP's question "Thoughts on Catch Cans". The purpose of running a catch can is to remove the oil vapours entering the intake stream. This helps to reduce carbon build up on the intake ports and valves. A catch can also removes the condensation that forms in the engine. The condensation, when handled properly, is harmless.

This picture clearly illustrates the "catch 22" of running a catch can. As you can see it has removed some oil. But the majority of what you see is a water/oil mix. Unfortunately the majority of the water concentration is a result of running the catch can. Normally the water vapour is harmless.

2.0T Standard Block Breathing System
    The main function is to provide a continuous purge of the block vapour and water condensation that is generated in the block. It does this by providing a continuous metered supply of fresh air that is actively being pulled through the block and into the intake manifold to be burned off in the engine. This process is active as long as the intake manifold is under vacuum. Once the intake manifold goes into a boost condition the purge is no longer active and the resulting block pressure gets relieved by shunting it into the pre-turbo intake stream. Unless you are tracking your car your intake manifold is under vacuum the vast majority of the time your engine is being operated.

2.0T With Catch Can
    All of the 2.0T catch can installations that I have seen eliminate the intake manifold connection and run all of the oil vapours and condensation through the catch can and into the pre-turbo intake stream. This filters out the oil vapours and condensation. it also completely eliminates the continuous block purge and replaces it with a simple pressure blow off mechanism. Consequently this creates a situation where the block oil vapours and water condensation are no longer being actively purged with fresh metered air and will build up in high concentrations in the block until they are "pushed" through the catch can. These high concentrations are what you see being collected in the catch can.

Cliff Notes Version
    Running a catch can will reduce the amount of oil vapour and water condensation entering the intake stream. But in the process it will also create a much higher concentration of these same vapours in the block that it has been designed to filter out. Failure to maintain the catch can system properly can have some rather nasty results.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

Established Member Two Rings steviesteves's Avatar
    AZ Member #

To anyone whoís thinking of running a catch can I would say donít. Or at least donít buy one from CTS Turbo. I got mine installed professionally and within days my motor blew. Yes everything was connected correctly. Then a month later I was 10k down the drain for a new swap and toes and rentals. I would never run a catch can again in my life especially not from CTS. Had a 14 b8.5 a4

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by steviesteves View Post
    To anyone whoís thinking of running a catch can I would say donít. Or at least donít buy one from CTS Turbo. I got mine installed professionally and within days my motor blew. Yes everything was connected correctly. Then a month later I was 10k down the drain for a new swap and toes and rentals. I would never run a catch can again in my life especially not from CTS. Had a 14 b8.5 a4

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    How did you verify that your "motor blew" due to the catch can? From a design/functionality stand point what is the difference between the CTS one and any other catch can setup with a baffle??

Senior Member Two Rings JustMtnB44's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The catch can mod was created by aftermarket companies who want to sell you their product because racecar.

Yes, race cars might use catch cans, but there are specific reasons for that, and they don't necessarily apply to daily driven cars.

Two questions to ask yourself before considering a catch can:
    Do you trust aftermarket parts companies more than Audi and literally every other automotive company engineers?
    Do you want to add another maintenance task (emptying the can) to your engine, knowing that if not done at the right time it can cause engine damage or failure?

I agree with everything old guy said above. In case that wasn't clear enough, here's a good video on how the whole system works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWz6vCnJ4CA
    Current: 2016 Golf R
    Past: 2004 allroad 4.2, Ebony Pearl Effect FBP, H-sport sway bars, Phatbox MP3 player, stock 18" wheels with Continental DWS tires, stock 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolandar tires, custom tow hitch

Senior Member Four Rings JeriQo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

something you really dont need to worry about.
    this just adds another level of anxiety lol. just drive your car in peace and follow the service intervals.
    just pour some seafoam on call it good.

2012 BB A4 P+ S-line Exterior |FBSW RS Paddles/Pedals|CR-15|AFE Filter|ECS inlet|S4 Dual Exhaust|Ace Convex 19x8.5|ECS 10mm rear|Solowerks S1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12