Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thoughts on catch cans.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I have a 2010 a4 b8 with the 2.0t abd was thinking of putting a catch can in, but wanted to block off the intake port and the turbo port so no blow by is getting into the intake system. Has anyone actually done this and pulled it off. So many different kits it's super weird .

AZ Member #

also interested in the whole catch can scenario, I keep hearing things from both sides.

Established Member Four Rings Spawne32's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nothing is going to stop carbon build up on direct injected cars, catch can can slow the process but its only a baidaid measure for this kind of stuff. It's an inherent flaw in the design overall.

AZ Member #

I agree but band aids help. I am not worried about cleaning my valves, but if I can help cut down on oil in path of turbo and intake it's worth a shot.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I agree bandaids do help! It is worth a shot!

Senior Member Four Rings Marko S's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I stand by mine. Once you get one and see how much crap is in it you will likely agree.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
    2011 Audi A4 Prem+
    HPA - ECS Tuning - aFe - Eurocode - Treadstone - GFB - Milltek - PTP - DEI - Spulen - KW - Moog - Ultra Racing - CR-15 - 034 Motorsports - Brembo - EBC - Podi - Fly Designs - Audio Frog - Dynamat - Kicker - deAuto - OEM

Veteran Member Four Rings b6onboost's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Owned turbo Audi's for 12+ years, tuned, about 250k miles combined, never ran a catch can. Cars drove and boosted fine. IMO its one of those mods people do, because that's what modded turbo guys do, that in reality isn't necessary.

Established Member Three Rings red4life5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Iím running a catch and and think itís awesome. I always drain out a bunch of crap every few weeks

2010 A4 S-Line Prestige

AZ Member #

Red4life5 which can set up do you have and how are the hoses run? I am trying to run it without having it hooked up to the turbo inlet or manifold.

Senior Member Four Rings JeriQo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

its just another excuse for a mod
    2012 BB A4 P+ S-line Exterior |FBSW RS Paddles/Pedals|CR-15|AFE Filter|ECS inlet|S4 Dual Exhaust|Ace Convex 19x8.5|ECS 15mm rear

Registered Member Three Rings Nano909's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It not only stops oil from getting into the intake, it also pretty much stops you from having to deal with a PCV ever again. In my opinion that alone is worth it. Once you see all the gunk you empty out if the can, you'll be glad you installed one.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryg951 View Post
    Red4life5 which can set up do you have and how are the hoses run? I am trying to run it without having it hooked up to the turbo inlet or manifold.
    I run integrated engineeringís set up which runs from the PCV. It caps off the manifold. I donít know of any catch can that runs though the turbo inlet; I always recommend IE

2010 A4 S-Line Prestige

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JeriQo View Post
    its just another excuse for a mod
    Until you have one itís hard to talk

2010 A4 S-Line Prestige

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Anyone can recommend oil catch can for EA888 Gen3 1.8T engine? Thank you.

Established Member Four Rings Spawne32's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by xmen78 View Post
    Anyone can recommend oil catch can for EA888 Gen3 1.8T engine? Thank you.
    Any of the 2.0 tfsi catch cans will work on the 1.8. Only difference between the engines I believe is the bore size.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by red4life5 View Post
    I run integrated engineeringís set up which runs from the PCV. It caps off the manifold. I donít know of any catch can that runs though the turbo inlet; I always recommend IE

2010 A4 S-Line Prestige
    The 034, CTS systems replace the PVC with a new breather plate and block off the IM. The can condenses the vapour and sends the remaining emissions through the breather plate to the turbo.
    2011 A4 Avant quattro tiptronic/ Eurocode Sway Bars, End Links, Alu Kreuz/ 034 Catch Can/ Various VagCom

Senior Member Three Rings dennej1985's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jfo View Post
    The 034, CTS systems replace the PVC with a new breather plate and block off the IM. The can condenses the vapour and sends the remaining emissions through the breather plate to the turbo.
    Any codes or other common issues running those systems? My pcv valve is probably due at my mileage. Was thinking about a catch can system instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Now: 2012 A4 Quattro |2.0t|6 MT|Prestige|S-Line|Sport|Titanium|IE Stage2|IE HFC+Downpipe|ECS FMIC+Charge Pipes|GFB DV+|VMR|AFE|
    Past: 2003 A4 Quattro Avant 1.8t, 5 MT

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dennej1985 View Post
    Any codes or other common issues running those systems? My pcv valve is probably due at my mileage. Was thinking about a catch can system instead.

No issues. Something to be aware of though...all systems that that have a can and hoses collect condensed water. Most of what you collect is in fact water. If you keep the car outside for long periods in winter there is the risk that it will freeze with a potential to block crankcase gas from venting. I garage my car and it's seldom sitting outside in winter long enough to be an issue.
    2011 A4 Avant quattro tiptronic/ Eurocode Sway Bars, End Links, Alu Kreuz/ 034 Catch Can/ Various VagCom

Senior Member Three Rings dennej1985's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jfo View Post
    No issues. Something to be aware of though...all systems that that have a can and hoses collect condensed water. Most of what you collect is in fact water. If you keep the car outside for long periods in winter there is the risk that it will freeze with a potential to block crankcase gas from venting. I garage my car and it's seldom sitting outside in winter long enough to be an issue.
    That good to know, thanks. Probably not for me then. I have to park it outside and it gets damn cold here.

Now: 2012 A4 Quattro |2.0t|6 MT|Prestige|S-Line|Sport|Titanium|IE Stage2|IE HFC+Downpipe|ECS FMIC+Charge Pipes|GFB DV+|VMR|AFE|
    Past: 2003 A4 Quattro Avant 1.8t, 5 MT

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm validating because I'm not sure if the PVC (for the gen 3 engine) 1.8 and 2.0 are interchangeable (same part number but different alphabet). Gen 2 engines (1.8 & 2.0) have different mounting points for their PCV, so cannot use on my car.

The catch cans (USP or Racingline) are not cheap after shipping and local taxes, so want to confirm before purchasing. Thanks!
    A4 B8.5 | 1.8 TFSI | Custom Tune | BCBR Coilover | ECS Open-pod intake | ECS FMIC | 6pot BBK | Jetex Quad Exos | IS38 Hybrid turbo | Custom DP |

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Just to share from my research. The breather plate from 034 and CTS works for B8 but not for B8.5 Gen3 engines.
    A4 B8.5 | 1.8 TFSI | Custom Tune | BCBR Coilover | ECS Open-pod intake | ECS FMIC | 6pot BBK | Jetex Quad Exos | IS38 Hybrid turbo | Custom DP |

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Waste of money if you're chasing an oil burning issue. Absolutely doesn't do anything for it, just ask the B7 crowd all driving the ultimate in oil burning Audi.
    HEAR

Senior Member Four Rings JeriQo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by red4life5 View Post
    Until you have one itís hard to talk

2010 A4 S-Line Prestige
    i never said its a bad thing
    2012 BB A4 P+ S-line Exterior |FBSW RS Paddles/Pedals|CR-15|AFE Filter|ECS inlet|S4 Dual Exhaust|Ace Convex 19x8.5|ECS 15mm rear

Senior Member Four Rings Poodini's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited

Thoughts on catch cans.

Quote Originally Posted by flowhigh View Post
    Waste of money if you're chasing an oil burning issue. Absolutely doesn't do anything for it, just ask the B7 crowd all driving the ultimate in oil burning Audi.
    Iíve vacillated over whether or not to get one for the longest. Iíve had performance oriented mechanics suggest it after looking at my car. Then, I hear a horror story fr guyís having run them start having issues. Once theyíve removed them and reverted back to PCV system, issues resolved. Then, Iíll see guys post all the gunk theyíre pulling fr their ccís. Ok, that canít be good especially if itís being routed through Intercooler hoses, eventually out to exhaust. But then Iíll have Jake fr JHM tell me not to waste my money on one for reasons mentioned (doesnít affect oil consumption).

Now that my PCV valve shat the bed which caused a vacuum leak, ultimately damaging my rear main seal and possibly my intake manifold, I can see how enticing a cc could be by eliminating this PCV altogether...

Who the F knows..

Veteran Member Four Rings adamazing's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I used to have a chronic issue with oil vapor being sucked into the inter-cooler piping via the turbo vacuum, and subsequently lubricating my clamps and couplers to the point they would explode loose every 3-6 weeks like clockwork. Almost always leaving me limping on the freeway or trying to reconnect and re-tighten the pipe connections in a dark parking lot.

I added a catch can two years ago and those issues stopped immediately. There has been zero oil condensation in my IC tract and I've never blown another connection since. For that alone, I would choose to buy one 10 times out of 10.

2013 A4 Quattro Brushed Steel / APR E85 Stage 2 / AG F421 Copper + Smoke + Neo Chrome / Eurocode FMIC + HFC / AWE Quad + CF Valance
    build / instagram / flickr

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

My hesitation has been the freezing aspect of it. can anyone speak to not being garaged over the winter with a catch can or is just an overall bad idea? Iíd love to get rid of my PCV...

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings adamazing's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by nitsujle View Post
    My hesitation has been the freezing aspect of it. can anyone speak to not being garaged over the winter with a catch can or is just an overall bad idea? Iíd love to get rid of my PCV...
    Can't speak from first hand experience or knowledge, but I know it's genuinely recommended to remove the system during the winter time.

The colder the weather is, the more condensation that's doing to be produced and captured. The more that's captured, the more likely it is to freeze in the can and/or lines. Once frozen (overnight), you cease vacuum and build pressure in your crankcase the next time you drive. Repeat that cycle one too-many times and you'll be looking to replace the rear main seal sooner than later.

2013 A4 Quattro Brushed Steel / APR E85 Stage 2 / AG F421 Copper + Smoke + Neo Chrome / Eurocode FMIC + HFC / AWE Quad + CF Valance
    build / instagram / flickr

AZ Member #

This^^^

I'm sure there are guy's out there that don't know about this or take a chance, and haven't had a problem. It's rolling the dice however, and a new RMS isn't cheap. I do garage the car but also take extra care in winter to keep the can empty and move the hoses to drain water settling in the dips. As noted above, the condensate increases significantly in cold weather.