Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Three Rings red4life5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Component Protection Removal Through VCP?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I saw this as one of the last comments on the 3G+ MMI thread:

"You can copy the component protection from your old unit to the new unit using a VCP(Vag Can Pro) cable and software. It allows you to read/write to the eeprom. If you are technical minded it is fairly straight forward. No need to visit dealer and you can freely swap between either unit if needed as the component protection will be identical on both the old(3G) and new(3G+) devices."

Is this real? If so, what cable and what are the steps?? We could all do this and not have to go to the dealer for anything!!

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

From what I remember from my MK4 days you could do something similar with gauge cluster swaps to avoid having to adapt the immobilizer to the car.

Pulling the eeprom file off the cluster and loading it back on was pretty straightforward with the right cable/software. Modifying the file wasn't intuitive at all.

I had a stubborn cluster that the previous owner had "reset" improperly which goofed the software in the cluster and didn't allow it to adapt to the car. After taking the eeprom file from my original cluster and finding an unmolested file for the new cluster someone was able to put to two together and send me a modified file to load onto the new cluster.

Where did that quote come from? With the right cable it's feasible that we could pull the eeprom file from both MMI units and have someone create a new file with the component protection info from the old unit. The average forum user isn't going to be able to modify the file.

Edit: Here is some more nerdy stuff. http://audienthusiasts.com/Infotainment_EEPROM.html

It looks like it might actually be as simple as retrieving the eeprom file from both units and copy/pasting the component protection section from the old to the new using a hex editor.
    Last edited by JettaGetUpandGo; 09-13-2018 at 04:35 PM.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Allroad Premium Plus (OEM+ Build Thread)
    Summer/Fun Car: 2005 Jetta GLI (OEM+ Build Thread)

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I saw some guy on a forum in Europe that apparently can do it remotely. You connect with vag com or something and he uses some software to do it. Seemed a little fishy, so I just paid the 130 at the dealer and it was done in less than an hour.

With the right know how and software it's probably possible, but for most of us not really feasible.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings Quattro420's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Jetta tdi 5peed 2000 b5 a4 1.8t 5aq, 2005 Passat tdi wagon2.0l, 2000 sierra 5.3l

Looks like you can buy vag com pro and might be able to not to sure tho

Veteran Member Four Rings Gunnark100's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by elscotto80 View Post
    I saw some guy on a forum in Europe that apparently can do it remotely. You connect with vag com or something and he uses some software to do it. Seemed a little fishy, so I just paid the 130 at the dealer and it was done in less than an hour.

With the right know how and software it's probably possible, but for most of us not really feasible.

Nothing fishy Scott:), but those guys removing cp online(like dealer), not "eeprom" play like on Davids site. As far i remember OP had concert or symphony, so vcp will not help him!
    Retrofits: FL taillights / MMI 3G & 3G+(Street view incl.)/ Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster/ BiXenon/ ADS Lite
    Other: ECU Tune/ VCDS Tweaks/ FL Gearknob/ Soundproofing/ Interior 6D Carbon Wrap/ Rieger Rep Front Bumper Valance/ Basic sound(8) upgrade to "ASS"(9+1) + B/O Sub(in sidepanel)/Tweeters + Activsub/ Efficiency Prog via Cluster & Gateway flash/ Sideskirts/ Window Tint/ Wsp Peeler reps/ License plate & Interior leds

AZ Member #

Ha! I think I tried to contact the fellas and didn't receive a response. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnark100 View Post
    Nothing fishy Scott:), but those guys removing cp online(like dealer), not "eeprom" play like on Davids site. As far i remember OP had concert or symphony, so vcp will not help him!

Veteran Member Four Rings Gunnark100's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by elscotto80 View Post
    Ha! I think I tried to contact the fellas and didn't receive a response. Oh well.

Jep, name is Jack Kirry(many people have used his service), on past few years many others offer the same service also(growing market:))
    Retrofits: FL taillights / MMI 3G & 3G+(Street view incl.)/ Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster/ BiXenon/ ADS Lite
    Other: ECU Tune/ VCDS Tweaks/ FL Gearknob/ Soundproofing/ Interior 6D Carbon Wrap/ Rieger Rep Front Bumper Valance/ Basic sound(8) upgrade to "ASS"(9+1) + B/O Sub(in sidepanel)/Tweeters + Activsub/ Efficiency Prog via Cluster & Gateway flash/ Sideskirts/ Window Tint/ Wsp Peeler reps/ License plate & Interior leds

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #

-CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Jack Kirry appears to have gone silent on this

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by byront8 View Post
    Jack Kirry appears to have gone silent on this

I hit him up and he wanted more than the dealer to do it so I passed. If someone knew more about this and had experience I would love to complete my 3G+ MMI swap on my own. I hate anyone touching my car for anything

2010 A4 S-Line Prestige

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

It can be done using a VCP cable, you can copy the old CP from the headunit and squirt it into the new one - 3G > 3G+, not 2G to 3G.

AZ Member #

It can be done using a VCP cable, you can copy the old CP from the headunit and squirt it into the new one - 3G > 3G+, not 2G to 3G.

Care to share a bit more information?

AZ Member #

Yeah, want to show the process?

2010 A4 S-Line Prestige

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Component Protection Removal Through VCP?

Did you guys see the link I posted earlier? It mostly covers this.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic