Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings Stone05's Avatar
    AZ Member #

License Plate Location

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Trying to decide if I like my new location of the license plate or does it look too busy on the tow hook over the fog light. It just looks like it throws the balance of the front off, but I also hate that it takes away from my grill when I install it there. Thoughts?
    Attached Images

Active Member Two Rings altobeast's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Stone05 View Post
    Trying to decide if I like my new location of the license plate or does it look too busy on the tow hook over the fog light. It just looks like it throws the balance of the front off, but I also hate that it takes away from my grill when I install it there. Thoughts?
    I run without a plate in a state where I am supposed to have one, but would go tow hook on my rs5 if I chose to do so if i moved to the city. You get used to the balance, and with a honeycombe grille you really want it to shine.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The two hook mounts look good on some cars and some have mounts that integrate with the bumper off to the side. The hook mount on the 5 IMHO does not look right. It does not look like it fits as it covers part of the fog light grille and from pictures I have seen from the side, it sticks far out at the edge (maybe if you bent it to follow the bumper curve, it would look better)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I havent had plates on my car, front or back, in over 5 months. I live in california. Not that strict and even if pulled over, easy to talk out of and at most $25 fix it is totally worth not having some stupid plate mounted over a tow hook or grille that doesnt have a mounting location for it. I've seen people mount plates on their 911's and its like...wow, guess you cant fix stupid. Even if your precious car is only for a sunday drive or something you hardly put 1,000mi a year on. Dont ruin the aesthetic with a plate. /RANT

btw, tow mounted plates look 'passable' on maybe an STi, Infiniti, or one of those burners. Let's not be tasteless. If your area is super strict, please keep yours on the grille. That looks 10x better than any tow hook mounted plate all fkn day
    2012 S5 4.2L Prestige
    Ibis White/Black w/ Carbon Atlas
    STaSIS Ohlins coilovers
    STaSIS cat back exhaust
    STaSIS rear sway bar
    JHM tune

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by spense5 View Post
    I havent had plates on my car, front or back, in over 5 months. I live in california. Not that strict and even if pulled over, easy to talk out of and at most $25 fix it is totally worth not having some stupid plate mounted over a tow hook or grille that doesnt have a mounting location for it. I've seen people mount plates on their 911's and its like...wow, guess you cant fix stupid. Even if your precious car is only for a sunday drive or something you hardly put 1,000mi a year on. Dont ruin the aesthetic with a plate. /RANT

btw, tow mounted plates look 'passable' on maybe an STi, Infiniti, or one of those burners. Let's not be tasteless. If your area is super strict, please keep yours on the grille. That looks 10x better than any tow hook mounted plate all fkn day
    Some states, like WA, don't issue fix it tickets and only issue citations. Virginia, in OP's case does issue a fix-it, so he can go without.

AZ Member #

I'm in Northern Va so I absolutely have to have the front plate. If not, i'm just begging to get pulled over for not displaying it and probably a tint ticket to go with it. Especially if I get pulled over by a Va Trooper. I've gotten pulled over for tint on my other cars "just because" and the tint is barely illegal. I guess I'll move it to the tow hook and see if I can get used to it.

Established Member Three Rings snocat17's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 S5 Prestige Cab, 2008 GMC Hennessey HPE 450 Sierra

I asked the dealer to remove the front plate holder before buying and have never been pulled over for it in 16 months in Missouri. *knocks on wood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
    I like the stealth look myself.

Great looking car! What year were headlight washers an option on the S5?
    -Joe
    2016 S5 Cabriolet Prestige Glacier White Metallic w/ brown comfort seats and piano wire black wood trim. RED Brake calipers holding EBC RedStuff pads, VCDS cable

Established Member Two Rings Hey_T_S5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Go with your gut feeling...either way it looks alright! If it was me I would leave it in the tow hook!!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Hey_T_S5 View Post
    Go with your gut feeling...either way it looks alright! If it was me I would leave it in the tow hook!!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Thanks!

AZ Member #

Thanks!
    Yup I like the tow hook look too. I meant like your ticket would be a fix-it rather than a traffic citation, like we have in WA state. You would have to fix it and prove, but it doesn't mean you won't get pulled over for not having one. I could get pulled over and fix it and would still have it on my record

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Front plate delete looks great.

Does anybody know if this part will fit a B8 A5 (non S-Line): https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...8k0807287a3fz/

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by altobeast View Post
    Yup I like the tow hook look too. I meant like your ticket would be a fix-it rather than a traffic citation, like we have in WA state. You would have to fix it and prove, but it doesn't mean you won't get pulled over for not having one. I could get pulled over and fix it and would still have it on my record
    Got it.

Established Member Three Rings Sazexa's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Scion FR-S

The best place for the license plate is at the back. lmao

But if you're afraid to run without one (it's illegal in my state, been rocking no-front plate for four or five years now), I'd say the OEM location is better. It's nice to see the grille in it's fully glory but to me I dislike the lack of symmetry produced from a tow-hook mount.

034 Control arms, intake tube, aluminum trans. brace and mount, rear sway bar, strut mounts || JHM "solid" short throw shifter and shifter linkage ||SpeedTech (ST) "X" coilover, dropped ~2.5" || K&N E-1987 air filter || Custom downpipe-back exhaust with A5 S-Line rear valence 4" tips || 15mm front/20mm rear spacers

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by simy View Post

Does anybody know if this part will fit a B8 A5 (non S-Line): https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...8k0807287a3fz/
    Their fitment drop down says S5 only

Veteran Member Four Rings Sgibb16's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 A5 & 2002 Passat Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by simy View Post

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-.../8k08072871qp/

I think this is the one you need. I might have one in my garage I could sell you. PM me if interested.
    2012 A5 P+ | Sports Package | 6MT | 35% Tint

REVO Stage II | AWE Quad Exhaust | 034 HFC | E-Codes | FK Silverline Coils | JHM Short Throw Shifter | Eurocode HFIC Pipe | Roc Euro Intake
    TR8 Intercooler | CTS Silicone Hose Kit & Turbo Outlet | CR-15 Strut Brace | Alu Kreuz | S-line Front & Rear Bumper Conversion

AZ Member #

poor P/S skills ...
    I'd fabricate a bracket and lower it flush to the bottom of the skirt.
    Lucky to live in a state where it's not required.
    BTW, beautiful car.
    Attached Images

Veteran Member Four Rings namvar's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013, Q7 Prestige, Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, Cabinet full of Adam's Polish Products

which ever is easier to remove after you have "fixed it"

2015 RS5: Mythos Black, Tech, Dynamic steering, Black Optics packages, Folding side mirror upgrade, internal LED lights, Eventuri Intake, Akrapovič exhaust
    On order: Bilstein B16 RideControl
    2013 3.0T Prestige Q7: Sport pedals, LED interior lights

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by fat View Post
    poor P/S skills ...
    I'd fabricate a bracket and lower it flush to the bottom of the skirt.
    Lucky to live in a state where it's not required.
    BTW, beautiful car.
    Thanks!

Senior Member Three Rings rasetsu's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 RS 5

US Millworks makes the best tow hook plate mount. Get the quick release version. You can slide the bracket off for shows/pics very quickly. The receiver rod is still there when you slide the plate bracket off but it's not really noticeable. Slide it back on and lock it in with the cotter pins and you are legal again for the drive home.
    2014 RS 5 Sepang BLUE
    2011 GTI APR Stage 1+ Shadow BLUE
    2005 STi Cobb Stage 2+ World Rally BLUE