Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Hey_T_S5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Coming up on a year of Owning my S5

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I fell in love with the Audi S5 long ago but with kids and all of their activities a sport coupe was out of the question. Got tired of driving people haulers and the minute I realize we needed a new car the S5 came up at the top of my list and there was no other car that even came close to it. I got bit by the Mod bug even before I got my Audi, I have always worked on my car mainly out of necessity but after working almost weekly on an old Land Rover I grew to love working on engines and doing simple maintenance like changing brakes and other costly necessities.

My S5 is a Phantom Black pearl effect, it's a real b...h to keep it clean and keep the swirlies from showing up....but when its clean and polish the car looks brilliant!!

So far my mods are both aesthetic and performance oriented...

- The car has APR Stage 2, dual pulley with intercooler, Ultracharger and Intake. She's pretty fast and I like how she pulls right off the line!

- I am on the fence about the AWE touring exhaust but I got a feeling it will be installed before the year end.

- Next I got a set of Stoptech drilled and slotted rear brake rotors from an audizine member really cheap, I figure with the tune I needed a bit more stopping power and my rear pads were about half way cooked so they were replaced. Went ahead and got the matching front rotors as well and got a set of Hawk 5.0 brake pads for the front and the back.

- Aesthetically the front grill was changed almost immediately, I got an RS5 grill from eBay but I didn't like the color at all, it was way too bright and it just didn't match the car. I went a bit pricier with a Rieger RS5 in Gun Metal and I think it fits the Phantom Black with Alu-optics perfectly. I also got the Rieger Carbon Fiber rear valance and am I really happy with the way she looks front and back!

- Wheels and suspension were next, it took me forever to make up my mind on the wheels, there's way too many choices out there but finally choose a set of Vossen VFS1 20x10.5 et30 wrapped with Michelin Pilot Super Sports 4S. I was a bit skeptical on the Gloss Silver Finish on the Vossens but again it fit the Alu-optics side rails and mirror caps perfectly.

-Suspension was not overlooked, thanks to Mops I got a set of KW HAS lowering springs, installation was not cheap but the end results looks pretty darn good! I need to lower the front just a tad bit more and the rear needs about a 3 to 5 mm spacer to get the look and stance that I want.

What's next??
    --AWE touring exhaust for sure.
    --Rear and front sway bar.
    --Maybe a set of Ecodes but the amber color really doesn't bother me that much!!
    --I am also going to get a winter wheel set up just because, it doesn't snow much where I live but I like the thought of having a spare set of wheels just because.
    --Paint the calipers red or yellow gold.

Here's a few pics I took a week ago, I need to take some more with good lighting!
    DSC_1504.jpg
    DSC_1505.jpg
    DSC_1507.jpg
    DSC_1509.jpg
    DSC_1510.jpg
    DSC_1516.jpg
    DSC_1520.jpg
    DSC_1524.jpg
    DSC_1537.jpg
    DSC_1550.jpg

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Sheís a beauty. Iím liking that RS5 Grill. I purchased my 2018 S5 last year, took delivery in August. First thing I did was take into a Ceramic Pro shop. Full 5 layer-stackable gold package, any restoration needed, wheels coated, interior protectant. Simple touch less washes only needed monthly. No swirlies ever. Their removed prior to application. I would help keep that beautiful black gloss with very little effort. It brings the up the value. Best investment to date, on my S5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Active Member Two Rings mediapimp's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Car looks great, man! The gloss silver wheels looks awesome with the alu optics. Nice job on everything!
    2014 S5, Misano Red Pearl, S-tronic, B&O, Sport Diff, MMI Nav +, Nappa Sport Seats, Black Optic Package, Carbon Atlas Inlays || AWE Touring Exhaust, APR Carbon Fiber Open Intake with APR Carbon Fiber Backpipe, H&R Coilovers, 15mm/20mm ECS Spacers, RS Style Grill, Deval Carbon Fiber Diffuser, RED LED Interior Lights

AZ Member #

Mgb - your S is a beauty, have always loved that color and my next car will be gray for sure. About the ceramic coating, I been looking around town for a good reputable shop as I need some paint correction up in the front but havenít found a good company yet! I am even considering a new paint job to fix some of the rock chips on my front bumper!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mediapimp View Post
    Car looks great, man! The gloss silver wheels looks awesome with the alu optics. Nice job on everything!
    Thanks...want to flare her up a bit but not too much, the design of these cars is already top notch so they donít need much help!! Your red RS is really nice...I think your best Mod is getting the Radar Detector properly mounted as I hate how the cable connector just hangs down across the center console! My latest mod is a cheap .99 cent clip but it does the trick! IMG_9527.jpg

Iíll get it done right one of these days...did you get the remote silence button with your set up? If you did where did you have it installed??

Active Member Two Rings altobeast's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Get your ecodes painted or reflectors installed, that would be cheaper since you don't mind them too much!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Hey_T_S5 View Post
    Thanks...want to flare her up a bit but not too much, the design of these cars is already top notch so they donít need much help!! Your red RS is really nice...I think your best Mod is getting the Radar Detector properly mounted as I hate how the cable connector just hangs down across the center console! My latest mod is a cheap .99 cent clip but it does the trick! IMG_9527.jpg

Iíll get it done right one of these days...did you get the remote silence button with your set up? If you did where did you have it installed??

Thanks! It's actually an S5. I've got new wheels and a Deval carbon fiber diffuser on the way. Will go APR Stage 2 soon as well.

Yeah, the BlendMount is awesome. I've had one in my last 3 cars and love them. I do have the remote mute button and mounted it under the dash to the right of the steering wheel.

You should go for it. It's super easy to run the wires and the install looks so clean. No reason your clean S5 shouldn't have a clean radar detector install! :)
    2014 S5, Misano Red Pearl, S-tronic, B&O, Sport Diff, MMI Nav +, Nappa Sport Seats, Black Optic Package, Carbon Atlas Inlays || AWE Touring Exhaust, APR Carbon Fiber Open Intake with APR Carbon Fiber Backpipe, H&R Coilovers, 15mm/20mm ECS Spacers, RS Style Grill, Deval Carbon Fiber Diffuser, RED LED Interior Lights

Established Member Three Rings Sazexa's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Scion FR-S

The car looks great. Mind if I make a suggestion?

If you get a good set of coils or springs, you really only need a good rear sway bar. Front isn't necessary. For the front perhaps invest in something like the ECS tuning strut tower brace and/or the Canyon Run CR-15 brace.
    034 Control arms, intake tube, aluminum trans. brace and mount, rear sway bar, strut mounts || JHM "solid" short throw shifter and shifter linkage ||SpeedTech (ST) "X" coilover, dropped ~2.5" || K&N E-1987 air filter || Custom downpipe-back exhaust with A5 S-Line rear valence 4" tips || 15mm front/20mm rear spacers

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

highly recommend the awe touring exhaust.. sounds amazing esp once you hit the higher rpms

this vid is what sold me (granted its a track exhaust + dps)

Current: 2016 Audi S5

Past: 2014 BMW 435xi, 2006 Audi S4 DTM, 2003 BMW M3

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Sazexa View Post
    The car looks great. Mind if I make a suggestion?

If you get a good set of coils or springs, you really only need a good rear sway bar. Front isn't necessary. For the front perhaps invest in something like the ECS tuning strut tower brace and/or the Canyon Run CR-15 brace.
    Thanks for the suggestion, she CR-15 seems to have a ton of great reviews, will give that a try and go with the rear sways.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kyokio View Post
    highly recommend the awe touring exhaust.. sounds amazing esp once you hit the higher rpms

this vid is what sold me (granted its a track exhaust + dps)

Iíve seen that video like 100 times and your right the sound of the track exhaust is pretty awesome. Still I am leaning towards the touring exhaust...now itís just a matter of Silver tips of Diamond Black? With the CF diffuser I am not sure if the DB are just going to get lost in there?

AZ Member #

Iíve seen that video like 100 times and your right the sound of the track exhaust is pretty awesome. Still I am leaning towards the touring exhaust...now itís just a matter of Silver tips of Diamond Black? With the CF diffuser I am not sure if the DB are just going to get lost in there?

i have the touring exhaust with db tips. went with that bc i didn't want to have to deal with cleaning the the tips all the time. but yes, they're hardly visible with a cf diffuser.

AZ Member #

I have the 102mm diamond black tips and have a carbon fiber diffuser on the way. Once I get it installed, I'll get you some pics so you can see if you like it.

I had the same thought as you about the tips getting lost with the cf diffuser, but there's nothing chrome on my car so I thought chrome would stick out like a sore thumb. Plus the chrome makes the tips looks huge in my opinion and I wanted them to be a little more understated.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Mgb - your S is a beauty, have always loved that color and my next car will be gray for sure. About the ceramic coating, I been looking around town for a good reputable shop as I need some paint correction up in the front but havenít found a good company yet! I am even considering a new paint job to fix some of the rock chips on my front bumper!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine[/QUOTE]

Thank you T_S5! Itís funny, I had an A5 2013 in Monsoon Grey and upgraded to thek 2018 S5 in Daytona Grey Pearl. I guess I just canít kick the Greyís. Iím thinking in a few years, maybe going with the Nardo Grey on an RS5 w the Black Optics Package. Weíll see what improvements Audi makes to the RS5 line in a few years. But it will definitely be some type of Grey. The Daytona Grey is particularly mesmerizing on those sunny days w the Ďpearlí pop-pin. Iíve yet to do any other mods at this point. Iíll probably, swipe out the grill, for an aluminum RS5 grill. Second, Iíll upgrade to an AWE exhaust and do some suspension modifications when I upgrade the wheels to Brixton Forged. Iíll probably hold off on any engine tunes, for two years due to any warranty issues.

Regarding the paint. Paint restoration has come a long way of recent. The detail shop that installed my Ceramic Pro coating, had spent about 4 hours on my paint restoration prior to the ceramic application, on a new vehicle right of the showroom floor. The Ceramic coating and nanotechnology have also had some major advancements. It really preserves the paint and brings out an illustrious gloss after every basic touch less wash. Keeps the exterior cleaning relatively easy. I also applied a Suntek Clear Coat Bra from the Fog lights up to the side view mirrors. That extra protection really helps with any type of road debris, etc...Ceramic Pro Corp. always has a large booth at the SEMA trade show in Las Vegas. That show is coming up the end of October. Very informative, as all of the major ceramic dealers will be there. Which continues to increase, both in numbers and technology. I would highly recommend attending the show if your considering any type of ceramic investment. Being approx. 2k, a significant investment which instantly increases the value and holds a lifetime warranty for the exterior paint, with the annual ceramic maintenance for about 400.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

She's looking hella clean... Great job!

How bad is the brake dust on the wheels? I have similar a similar wheel (vertini rf1.3 and similar colour) and mine gets destroyed with brake dust... pita to keep it clean.

AZ Member #

I hear you on the RS...hopefully in a couple of years Iíll move up to the RS5 and I agree with you Nardo Gray with the Black optics package is the way to go!!!
    I will do some more digging around here for the paint correction and ceramic cost as the car does need it but wonít rule out a new paint job either!
    Also, I like to check out that trade show in Vegas but usually Vegas trips end up costing me way more than the cost of a ceramic job...I canít seem to get Lady Luck on my side when I am down there!!!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by giggidy1 View Post
    She's looking hella clean... Great job!

How bad is the brake dust on the wheels? I have similar a similar wheel (vertini rf1.3 and similar colour) and mine gets destroyed with brake dust... pita to keep it clean.
    With the Hawks is just as bad as with the stock pads....they get pretty dusty after a week of driving!! I had to put set of AutoZone pads for about a week or so as I had an issue with my initial Hawk pads, and no joke those pads had very low dust, and stopping power was not that bad either?? This is a pic I took after a week of driving on the Duralast pads, I was so surprised on how clean they looked compared to my front ones. IMG_7741.JPG

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I hear you. Vegas can get expensive quick if you are not careful. Iím not sure if Iíll make the show this year or not. Iím in an Audi car club, here in Orange County, CA. I heard some chatter in the group about the police crackdown on ANY type of non-OEM engine mods. That would have been my primary reason to go, for more info on tunes, and talking to the various companies. Looks like Iíll be definitely shelving any engine mods for a while.

Feynlab is another competitive brand to Ceramic Pro. You might want to research their product a bit. Itís very comparable, just not as popular as CP yet. I take my car to https://www.wickedautodetailing.com/. The owner Sam, extremely knowledgeable about all the coatings available, and how they compare. Will talk Cars and coatings for hours w anyone who will listen.

I regret not getting the Dynamic Steering. I donít what I was thinking. Other than that, she been Ďbigí fun driving. With only 2k miles on the clock, still learning how to effectively engage the 9-speed tiptronic into manual mode at certain intervals. The MMI interface , media center are amazing. B&O sound system is pretty cool! Iím not sure I can hear all 19 speakers as advertised, but the quality is amazing nonetheless. I popped in a DVD audio disc, and it blew me away. Definitely an Audi lifer, so Iím thinking the RS5 should be at 600bhp or more, in a few years.

AZ Member #

A 600hp RS5 would be nice but I am thinking Audi will set the RS5 around the 500hp for the performance package so not to compete with the RS7....and like you hopefully in a few years I am looking to upgrade but I am enjoying the S5 for the time being.
    And unless your adding flame throwers or rocket launchers I wouldnít worry about the cops or anyone else cracking down on engine mods!!! Maybe wait if youíre worried about warranty claims as Mods can void your warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

AZ Member #

The Akebono pads are great! Had some installed on the front to buy me time before the BBK upgrade, my back wheels with OEM Pads gets dirtier quicker now. If I had one complaint it would be the bite isnít that good, once the BBK upgrade occurs this spring that will be better with the Brembos. Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads are worth looking into imo. Having APR Stage 2+ on the Cab makes it a rarity and need the stopping power and will use Akebono pads also.
    Apr Stage 2+ * Apr Ultracharger * Apr Dual Pulleys * Apr Intercooler *
    Apr CF CA Intake * Apr TCU Upgrade * Milltek Exhaust *

AZ Member #

Iíve gone back and forth between the two sizes but with my diffuser I think I got to go with the 90ís. Post a pic of your set up once you get it all done, I like to see how good the diamond black tips look with the CF diffuser.

AZ Member #

Iíve gone back and forth between the two sizes but with my diffuser I think I got to go with the 90ís. Post a pic of your set up once you get it all done, I like to see how good the diamond black tips look with the CF diffuser.
    Here's mine (102 diamond black) vs 4ringrook's (102 silver)

AZ Member #

Just finished my diffuser install.

Here are some better pics of the carbon fiber with the diamond black tips:

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kyokio View Post
    Here's mine (102 diamond black) vs 4ringrook's (102 silver)

Damn...thanks for making my decision that much harder...just saw Mediapimps set up and it look so good just like yours!! But 4ringrookís set up looks really nice too and you definitely donít loose those chrome tips on the CF diffuser!!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mediapimp View Post
    Just finished my diffuser install.

Here are some better pics of the carbon fiber with the diamond black tips:

Sweet set up...like I mentioned on the other thread that set up really looks good on your car, she Red pops even more with the black theme!!

AZ Member #

Sweet set up...like I mentioned on the other thread that set up really looks good on your car, she Red pops even more with the black theme!!

Thanks!

I can definitely see your dilemma in deciding which way to go, though. Either would look great but the chrome tips might be nice since the whole car is black and it would go well with the other chrome touches around the car.

Veteran Member Three Rings 01northernS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Great diffuser... Which one is it?

Quote Originally Posted by kyokio View Post
    here's mine (102 diamond black) vs 4ringrook's (102 silver)

2015 Audi S5 Coupe
    Technik | Mythos Black on Black | Black Optics | Carbon Interior Trim | Carbon Supercharged Badges | Miltek Resonated Sport Cat Back Exhaust W/Black Cerakote GT100's | DSG | ADS | Sport Diff | B&O | Pinnacle 30% Tint | H&R OE Sport Springs | 10F/15R H&R Spacers | 20"x9" Black Matte Rotors - 275/30 Continental DWS | 19"x9" Titanium Rotors - 255/35 Blizzak LM-32

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 01northernS4 View Post
    Great diffuser... Which one is it?
    Those are both the same as mine. Itís the Deval.