Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Play in steering wheel/ from wheel

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys, finally got my s4 back on the road. Now when I am going about 65-70mph the vehicle starts to vibrate a bit. There is some play in the steering wheel and I believe it's from the right front wheel. When I turn the wheel to the right I can feel vibration as opposed to turning it left.

What would cause this?

Veteran Member Four Rings mad70sx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Silver '04 S4

Tough to say... Do you hear any clicking when you turn the wheel to the right? If so, the CV joint on the right side could be worn. A bad CV joint could explain the vibration but not the play in the steering. Play in the steering could be caused by worn suspension components in general but don't typically result in vibrations, either.
    JHM Tune ~ JHM Version 2 Headers ~ FI/JHM 2.5" Exhaust ~ Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers ~ BBS CH

Always dirty, always broken

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Honestly I think the vibration might be another issue altogether. Unless maybe a tie rod is not tightened??

I have some aftermarket Audi wheels that came on the car and might possibly be balanced, also I believe I need either a new motor or transmission mount.

Senior Member Three Rings DarrenOman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I would check tyres pressure, get wheel balanced and ask the tyre guy to check the wheel bearings. Then bushings on the upper and lower arms.
    Bushings can be replaced if you do not want to buy new arms.
    Good luck

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Three Rings MugelloB7RS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

A wheel bearing tends to make noise when it's loaded. Depending on the person they may hear the noise and it might have a low frequency vibration. If it's worse when you turn to the right, I would suspect the left front somewhere because depending on how tight of a turn you're doing the right turn will unload the right front suspension and load the left front. When parts are worn and under load they can often make noise. I would say a bad wheel bearing is like a low grumble when its loaded and then tends to go away when you go back straight. Any competent shop should be able to find out whats up.