Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Two Rings
    AZ Member #

DT Power - New Products

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!

I wanted to take a minute to stop by and thank you folks for all the positive feedback here. The response coming from all the new customers referencing the things they've read here has really meant a lot to me. I do my best to do right by you guys like I would want someone to do right by me. I spent a lot of years looking to you guys for advice on directions to go with my various builds. I want to be the kind of business that I would want to have a relationship with. My goal is to come through like that for you. Many of you know I answer my phone and text well into the nights and weekends when you're working on your cars. This means more to me than a couple bucks. For your support, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Here are a few new items that have dropped recently. I wanted to get these out there in a new thread and let you see the exciting new stuff for yourself.

Brand new on the scene is the TCU+ Transmission Tuner. This OBDII tuner plugs into your diagnostic port and retunes the transmission to get rid of much of the shift lag. It also enables me to run some more aggressive tuning without sacrificing the shift quality. This thing really does work. We've shipped over 40 of them just this week alone and the feedback is already pouring in.

You can buy it here

Here is old faithful. The Bluetooth DTE Powercontrol Tuner (formerly DTUK here in the States. Same product, more relevant name). This is what got it all started for me and you can read about it extensively here and here .

Click here to buy one

We also have the DTE Pedalbox throttle response tuner. This is basically a short shifter for your accelerator pedal. It helps to mitigate the throttle lag especially when driving in "D"

You can find those here

And the blacked out version here

We also released our own take on a cold air intake. It’s not the flashy (and scarce) AWE Carbon Fiber one, or the gorgeous but fantastically priced Eventuri one. It just works. It's not super flashy. It's reminiscent of the Roc Euro except it shields a little better from the heat in the engine bay and comes with a mounting system that more aptly matches the quality you'd want to put in your Audi.

You can find it here with the ECS turbo inlet included

And finally, for those of you thatg have been asking, here is a "Staged package that include all 4 of these. It will come with a tune that can pump out around another 15-20 HP with the advent of more air and mitigating the shift smoothness with the TCU unit. Overall this will save you almost $300 over buying everything separately.

You can find the combo here
    DT Power - Official US distributor for DTE Systems

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

whats the filter element made of for the intake

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tliu91 View Post
    whats the filter element made of for the intake
    I have a couple. One is a K&N style one. I also have a racing foam filter as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Three Rings nicotino15's Avatar
    AZ Member #

How does the intake sound? I'm looking for an intake that gives turbo presence without the harshness you would get from say a 10 year old WRX with a BOV.

Also, do you have any more details on the TCU tune? Is it like what we've seen with B8's where they tune the transmission vs the engine tuner which is a piggyback style of tuning? What parameters is it adjusting and to what degree? How does the TCU tune influence boost? I didn't realize there was a relationship there (I'm aware boost goes down slightly as RPM goes up in each gear).

Thanks for the info and contribution to the B9 platform.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Similar questions for the TCU tune from me. What exactly is altered and is there any additional mechanical stress or wear on the transmission components from running a more aggressive shifting map?

For the piggyback tune how much additional boost over stock max? And are there any maps to allow us to run higher octane or an aftermarket DP without a CEL?
    Last edited by B9S4; 09-12-2018 at 08:16 PM.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by nicotino15 View Post
    How does the intake sound? I'm looking for an intake that gives turbo presence without the harshness you would get from say a 10 year old WRX with a BOV.

Also, do you have any more details on the TCU tune? Is it like what we've seen with B8's where they tune the transmission vs the engine tuner which is a piggyback style of tuning? What parameters is it adjusting and to what degree? How does the TCU tune influence boost? I didn't realize there was a relationship there (I'm aware boost goes down slightly as RPM goes up in each gear).

Thanks for the info and contribution to the B9 platform.

You can hear the the intake here at the beginning of the installation video for the Powercontrol.

You can hear the turbo spool pretty well. Depending on the type of filter you select, the relief valve will be louder or quieter. In the video I am using an ITG foam filter in the video. You'd have to buy the ITG separately at the intake price I am selling at although I do offer a pretty nice foam filter option in addition to a bit quieter K&N style one.

This is a true transmission map tuner. It programs via the OBDII port. It changes factory available parameters in order to change shift points and clamping pressure. There is a whole narrative from our supplier that I'll post at the end of this post for your reading pleasure. I don't have a ton more information than that.

As for your boost question, the transmission tuner does not effect boost directly that I am aware of. I control boost with the Powercontrol piggyback tuner. I can run higher boost signals with the transmission tuner without having to contend with notchy shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by B9S4 View Post
    Similar questions for the TCU tune from me. What exactly is altered and is there any additional mechanical stress or wear on the transmission components from running a more aggressive shifting map?

For the piggyback tune how much additional boost over stock max? And are there any maps to allow us to run higher octane or an aftermarket DP without a CEL?
    There are no parameters adjusted outside of the factory available tolerances, therefore you wont have any stress introduced to the unit that is not mechanically safe.

I get the boost over max question a lot. This isn't how the piggyback works, per se. I dont look at a boost number like 10 psi (just an example) and say, ok, give me 15 lbs boost. This is all based on the sensor milivolt range that the digital sensors are returning to the ECU. Say you have a sensor that translates boost psi to a digital signal. Let's say for conversation sake that the sensor has a range of 5 volts. Now let's say the max reading the sensor sends back to the ECU under the stock mapping is 3.5 volts. We modify the signal to send a signal back to the ECU that tells it that the sensor is reading 2 volts. The ECU then ups the boost to reach the nominal value it thinks it wants to see, 3.5 volts. The net increase here is 1.5 volts in boost signal. Since we are not operating truly inside the ECU environment, but changing external signals, I am not looking at the total boost number. I could install an analog boost gauge in the car and get a before and after, but I just haven't done that yet.

Real quick, back to the boost voltage signal. Because we are not in the ECU and we cannot change the sensor range expectation, we cannot boost the car beyond a certain point. When you are dealing with a true ECU tune, and let's say you add a new turbo. You should replace the boost sensor as well if you're going to be operating a higher boost PSI than the stock range would allow. When you do this, you can go into the ECU and change the boost sensor range to accommodate the new sensor. Since we can't do that here, we are capped at a boost level that the stock sensor can read. What can happen with some tuners that overboost the car beyond the sensor range, is that the ECU will eventually see that. The ECU will say to itself that sensor "A" is returning a value that is outside the sensor's known range. This will work for a few pulls until the ECU gets a read on the range and then the ECU will adjust for what it considers to be an erroneous reading. As long as we keep the return range in the expected sensor capacity, we can maintain a consistent power increase. This is why we have one power gain statement, and you may see some that are different out there. Could I tune the car to have a higher boost return? Sure. But would it stay that way? Most likely not.

The other question I get a lot is, are you doing anything with fuel or timing. The answer is directly, no. But what we are doing when we increase the boost by lowering the signal and allowing the ECU to up the air to meet it's expectation, is telling the ECU to prepare everything for the increase we asking for. It in turn adjusts the fuel input and the timing as well. As proof of this, we have had customers adjust the tune level outside a range that the car can mechanically make. This can happen for a number of reasons, but most of the time it is because they have taken a map (USDM) that has been maxed out for US cars on the 0 setting and tuned it higher. The higher settings were intended to be run with additional air flow capability, either through intake or intercooler upgrades. When the boost cant reach its goal, they get a temporary CEL that returns an 'under boost' error. This is basically the ECU saying, I've been told by the sensor that I am at 1.5 volts and I want to reach 3.5 volts and just cant get enough air to satisfy the demand. Many times there will be another error that comes along with this saying 'System too rich'. This is the ECU saying, I was trying to get to a certain air volume and prepared the fuel based on it's current level at 1.5 volts to handle the increase in air. Now when the air didn't hit the goal, there was too much fuel in the mixture causing a rich condition.

Now all of these codes are temporary. Don't worry if you over adjust your tuner. One we don't mess with any of the safeguard systems. The knock and wideband A/F signals are not messed with, so the car cannot go into a state that will harm the motor. They are reset once you turn the unit back down and restart the car. The dealer cannot see these codes and if they could, have never flagged them as concerning since there are a myriad of reasons and conditions that can return that kind of temporary error. We have had literally hundreds of S4/S5s into the dealer for service, some of which required extensive logging of data errors due to the A/C fan error that was prevalent in early builds. We have never had any incident where the system presence was detected. I have personally taken my car into the dealer with the box on to a master tech at an unnamed Audi dealer and had many discussions on the subject. At the end of the day, they don't really care. They know it can't hurt the car.

Well that was less quick than I had planned. I hope that answers your questions.

TL:DR I don't have the boost psi number, but it really is irrelevant other than to boast about a PSI number. The sensor voltage is what matters in this scenario.

As promised from the TCU manufacturer.

The all-new TCU Flash Tool integrates with the vehicles onboard communications network via OBD to access the
    ECU, TCU and Convenience modules to adjust/reset the shift strategies within the OEM (Original Equipment
    Manufacturer) control components to "point" or “re address” these strategies to the best and most optimal settings.
    This includes changing the transmission shift speed pointer to a faster/different setting. The internal components
    that make up the mechanics of the transmission have a wide range of tolerance and multiple settings allowing
    manufacturers in most cases to use single components across a whole range of vehicles, from a VW golf to a
    Lamborghini Aventador. They all contain similar if not the same generation components, usually built in the same
    factory, but have model specific programs that are used for their specific application.

Torque Limits are also set in various systems and control modules within the vehicle; this is set by the manufacturer
    and is one of the easy ways to electronically limit power in certain models of vehicles.
    This allows the manufacturer to release many different power variants with different driving characteristics with
    only a single engine. This is a much more cost effective way of creating a vehicle range without the need to
    manufacture multiple engines at different power levels.

By simply unlocking, resetting and amending the torque settings to the various other manufacturers settings we can
    allow the vehicle to produce and deliver power safely and still stay within the manufacturers specified limits.
    This style of ‘derestricting’ ensures that key settings such as clamping force, slip, torque limits, shift speeds etc. all
    remain within not only manufacturers spec, but also component spec, thus never exceeding safety of shortening
    component life.

Senior Member Three Rings cmoore86's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5, 2015 SQ5

For the TCU tuner, is it reversible back to stock if for some odd reason I dont like it or want to be extra cautious going to the dealer? Also, can I use it on my B9 SQ5?
    2018 Audi [] SQ5: Navarra Blue | Ceramic Pro | Brixton Forged | Black Optics |
    Sold - 2015 Audi RS5: Sepang Blue My Sepang Blue RS5
    Sold - 2015 Audi SQ5: Sepang Blue cmoore86 2015 SQ5

AZ Member #

Since there are no values being adjusted outside of the avialble parameters, it is not detectable by the dealer as being a modification. It also doesn't affect the flash counter. The only way to flash back is to take it to the dealer and they will reflash the default values as part of a standard service.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5, 2015 SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron@DTP View Post
    Since there are no values being adjusted outside of the avialble parameters, it is not detectable by the dealer as being a modification. It also doesn't affect the flash counter. The only way to flash back is to take it to the dealer and they will reflash the default values as part of a standard service.
    Thanks for the info. I am definitely considering. This isnt specific for the B9 S4 though is it? I would put it on my B9 SQ5.

AZ Member #

I have these available for all VAG cars now and can have other brand specific units on hand in a couple days. This one here is specific to the 3.0T platform found in US 2018 and newer S4/S5/S5 Sportback/SQ5 platforms. I also have RS3 & RS5(coupe and sportback) specific units on hand and available to ship now.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5, 2015 SQ5

Perfect. Trying to look around for more customer reviews before I place the order. But my main curiosity is how much the lag when you go to full throttle is reduced. Whats your experience there?

AZ Member #

The start to full throttle lag is reduced but not eliminated. That is not really 100% a transmission thing though. That is mitigated by launching the car or quickly rolling into the throttle rather than slamming your foot to the floor.

Here are some customer reviews from a whatsapp group we have up and running on it.

Ok. 30 seconds to upload. 5 mins idle. 1 mile up
    Road and back.
    Smoother very low speed shifts in traffic. Quicker pick up in gear. Quicker short changes up and down. Stop start still works. Coasting disengage still works. Will give it a proper run tomorrow. Initial signs, has done exactly what I wanted it do.
    Im still out driving Andrew. But what a difference!
    Smoother and shorter up shifts and down shifts, more torque.
    Francis - Canada 2018 S5
    OMG !!! Guys if you have a 'DTE module for the motor you need the flash for the gearbox !!! It’s fantastic. No more «*bang*» frome transmission... still at 1-1, but i will try to go at zero or at +. Best $$$ spend on my car
    Michael in the USA – Customer with 2018 Audi S5 – WhatsApp group

Installed TCU upgrade this morning. What a difference. Pulls harder in low gears, dead spots gone, shifts way smoother on harder acceleration.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5, 2015 SQ5

Thanks for the extra info and reviews. Glad to hear it helps with the lag to full throttle. I wasnt expecting it to be eliminated but any reduction there is good. I would just order the unit as it is on your website or do you need to do anything different for the SQ5? Appreciate your quick responses!

AZ Member #

You can order as is from the website.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Yeah this TCU flash is worth every penny. Pulls lot harder on lower gears (speed) and I'm getting some very impressive results from the fuel economy also.

Established Member Two Rings DirtyDog--IRL's Avatar
    AZ Member #

DT Power - New Products

Aaron is one of the best guys to work with, definitely recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DirtyDog--IRL; 09-14-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Established Member Two Rings DirtyDog--IRL's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Logtec View Post
    Yeah this TCU flash is worth every penny. Pulls lot harder on lower gears (speed) and I'm getting some very impressive results from the fuel economy also.
    Are you using it with the piggyback ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Can you ship to canada ?

AZ Member #

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine