Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Snow Tires

Veteran Member Three Rings Delasangre4231's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Snow Tires

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello everyone, I am looking to order snow tires a bit early this year for my 2013 Audi RS5. I got some 18" wheels for these winter tires, so the size I am after is 245/45-18.

My current contenders are as follows;
    Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3
    Bridgestone Blizzak LM001
    Continental Contiwintercontact TS830 (runflat)
    Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 (national backorder)
    Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2

The R3 based on the R2 which seem to have the best reviews, and the Pirelli which seem to have the worst review now that I am googling them. I have had great luck with other Blizzaks before so I am inclined towards those, unless I can get the Hakka's.

Opinions? Experience?
    2013 RS5 Phantom Black Pearl - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, ECS Brake lines with Motul RBF600, ECS X-Pipe, Leyo Motorsports paddle extensions

2003 A4 Avant, 6MT, 3.0 V6 SOLD
    B6 S4 front brakes, JHM stainless brake lines, Straight Pipe - http://youtu.be/7zsiB7rT1fo

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Funny, I have the 2018 RS5 and am in the same boat as you. Unfortunately, Blizzak is not even an option unless I go with a -1 rim.

Iíve had Blizzaks on no less than five vehicles including the S4. My wife and I love these tires, and weíve never had a bad experience on Colorado roads. Iíve stopped counting the times that Quattro + Blizzak has put us ahead of others.

That said, weíve used Michelinís Pilot Alpin on a BMW X3. The combination worked great with the BMW X Drive.

One point of consideration on other choices. I optimize for ice on roads in the Front Range of Colorado. The demands in deep snow in the mountains is quite different. Although the Blizzaks are still very capable (and roads are plowed eventually), the real performance in the Blizzak comes from the siping in the tread which is optimized for traction on ice.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Audizine
    2018 RS5 - Nardo Gray

AZ Member #

Ya, my RS5 has 20" factory wheels and I was planning to use 19's but I found 18's, tires are almost half the cost from 19 to 18" wheels.

My winter driving is mostly hard packed and iced over freeways and some occasional powder up to 3-4". Deeper if I go further up the mtn but I try to avoid really deep stuff. I think the Blizzak is gonna be the winner here. I could wait for or backorder a set of the R3 but I think they are $100 more each than Blizzak. Thanks for your input!
    2013 RS5 Phantom Black Pearl - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, ECS Brake lines with Motul RBF600, ECS X-Pipe, Leyo Motorsports paddle extensions

B6 S4 front brakes, JHM stainless brake lines, Straight Pipe - http://youtu.be/7zsiB7rT1fo

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Had Blizzak's on another car and had no serious problems with them. Their deep snow traction was impressive. Good cornering stability, but the dry grip of these Bridgestone tires was not so good compared to other snow tires I've tried.

AZ Member #

Yep they are pretty squirmy, haven't got any snow yet. It actually kinda warmed up again so I'm patiently waiting.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I recently bought some Nokia Hakkapeliitta R2. I live in western mt and we just got hit with some snow and we've had some icy roads lately and I'm seriously impressed by these tires. Highly recommended the Nokian brand in general

Sent from my SM-N950U using Audizine mobile app

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I just got a set of nokian hakka 9 studded and i love em. I live on the west side of the divide though