Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Camshaft position: should I worry?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey all,
    While doing my timing belt/cam seals, etc, the passenger cams ďslippedĒ while not locked with the bar. I rotated them back into position using the wing-tab. In looking st the alignment marks though, they donít line up *exactly*. Iíll put a picture below.
    Are they lined up as they should be? Iím wondering if the cams could have jumped a tooth on the chain when it rotated. The engine is pinned at tdc, fwiw.
    Thanks in advance!!!
    IMG_1122.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Three Rings Bob Marley's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Birdflu View Post
    Hey all,
    While doing my timing belt/cam seals, etc, the passenger cams ďslippedĒ while not locked with the bar. I rotated them back into position using the wing-tab. In looking st the alignment marks though, they donít line up *exactly*. Iíll put a picture below.
    Are they lined up as they should be? Iím wondering if the cams could have jumped a tooth on the chain when it rotated. The engine is pinned at tdc, fwiw.
    Thanks in advance!!!
    IMG_1122.jpg

I counted youre chain links... ...that's all that really matters. You're fine... chain slack will be picked up when oil pressure returns, and those marks will fall back in line after a few Revolutions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bob Marley; 09-12-2018 at 08:55 AM.

AZ Member #

You should be fine if you rotated it back from the position it slipped.(rather than a full rotation). Thats probably what caused the slack from rotating back. Once the engine begins to turn the correct direction tension will return and you will be fine. Its also harder than you think to jump a tooth while those babys are installed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Audizine mobile app

Veteran Member Four Rings CELison's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Without touching the head, those cams aren't going to be out of time with each other. It's a pain in the ass even with the tensioner compressed.
    B5 S4- K24s, built bottom end, E85
    B8 S4- GIAC Stage 2
    150cc Chinese Scooter of Doom

AZ Member #

You guys are awesome! Thanks a million for the enlightenment. That all makes perfect sense. I did indeed rotate it just back into position, so Iíll proceed with the remainder of the job. I havenít had to do this on this car for about 8 years, but I definitely donít want to be right back in there, lol!
    Cheers!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CELison View Post
    Without touching the head, those cams aren't going to be out of time with each other. It's a pain in the ass even with the tensioner compressed.
    Ill second that lmao

Sent from my SM-G920V using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

i did the same thing on mine, over the week too look at cam timing cause ima stuck with this codes, yeah it looks good

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk