Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

AT trans will not engage in any gear

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Dear Audizine,

2005 A6, 4.2l will not engage in any gear. A slight growl was heard upon start up today. At the moment, the only code is p1624, and while the engine idles very well, holding steady at 720rpm, there is a slight vibration in the car. While idling, there is some occasional chatter coming from under the car, the transmission area. I also noted some idle roughness upon decelerating in park, going from about 1500rpm to 720rpm.

I recently completed the chain job and the car drove for two runs before this occurred.

Thank you to the two that offered suggestions in my previous tcm post.

Anyone with knowledge of this?

Thank you.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Did you do just the upper tensioners or the full chain? Wondering if the transmission was removed or not basically... If it was removed, do you recall properly torquing down the flexplate-to-torque converter bolts?

I've seen people that completely forgot to put them on and somehow the car engaged in low rpms, but in higher loads the flexplate spun free of the TC and it was dead in the water (often time causing damage to the flexplate and TC). Engine would still idle but you'd hear the flexplate smacking/ and rubbing against the face of the TC.

The only other thing i can think of is if the TC wasn't properly seated into the inputshaft (or if it popped off slightly while bringing it up into place to bolt it to the engine... which can happen).
    07 A6 3.2- Out & In- Morimoto 5500k & Nokya 2500k, DeAutoLED Reverse, LP, & Footwells, Ziza Full Interior, 10" lo-pro Pioneer, Audi Aluminum Pedals
    Drivetrain & Suspension- Stoptech X-Drilled & Sport Pads, ST X-Coilovers, Hacked Airbox with aFe, Resonator Delete

"What is best in life? -Kill your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women" Conan the Barbarian

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post

The only other thing i can think of is if the TC wasn't properly seated into the inputshaft (or if it popped off slightly while bringing it up into place to bolt it to the engine... which can happen).
    And can be expensive, as you will crush the seal and or pump.

Seems to me, if you were able to drive it for any distance, and it was acting fairly normal, the TC would have to be connected properly. Assuming you had to pull the trans.
    It's My Realtor Car

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I replaced all 4 chains and all tensioners, guides... The engine and trans was removed and then separated. I recall attaching the tc to the plate upon reassembly, but don't remember what I torqued it to. It's hard to imagine that I didn't torque it, but it's possible.

Your suggestions make sense, in particular, the tc did not seat on the shaft properly. Is this circumstance consistent with the fact that there is no specific codes? Kinda makes sense...

Looks like the trans needs to come out. Are there specific things, aside from the plate, that I should be looking for?

I very much appreciate your advice and any other information. Thank you.

AZ Member #

If I recall, there is very little room for the bolts to back out, if you did not get them tight so I would be more worried about the crushing of the pump and or seals. I don't know if there would be codes, but probably. Not having the TC seated correctly (in any transmission) could be a big deal. Dropping the trans is a interesting task. I would probably start, just checking if the TC and plate are connected. If your 05 is anything like my 06, To do that, you will have to remove the passenger side motor mount to get the starter out. There is no way around this, trust me I tried. It is not hard, just daunting. You may need to pick up a few extensions to reach up to the bolts.
    It's My Realtor Car

AZ Member #

jv_atc, is you motor code a BNK by any chance?
    It's My Realtor Car

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Yes, it is a BNK

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jv_atc View Post
    Yes, it is a BNK
    Did you pull the motor? Did you do the chain swap? Any chance you did a write up?
    It's My Realtor Car

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I don't think so brother. This really sounds like a purely mechanical deal.

One thing I'd do if you have the means to is get all 4 wheels up in the air, get under it, and with a mechanic stethospcope (or a screw driver to your ear), have someone turn the engine on and put it on D and just probe around the bellhousing to confirm that the noise you're hearing is in fact coming from the bellhousing area. If confirmed, then your problem is in there
    07 A6 3.2- Out & In- Morimoto 5500k & Nokya 2500k, DeAutoLED Reverse, LP, & Footwells, Ziza Full Interior, 10" lo-pro Pioneer, Audi Aluminum Pedals
    Drivetrain & Suspension- Stoptech X-Drilled & Sport Pads, ST X-Coilovers, Hacked Airbox with aFe, Resonator Delete

"What is best in life? -Kill your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women" Conan the Barbarian

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Update... I replaced the trans filter and no difference... The car will not engage in any gear. The plate appears function and intact. We then scanned the car using vcds, resulting in:

tcm code 004- no signal/communication
    p1624- mil request signal active
    p1602- voltage too low
    p1626- missing message from tcu
    p1653- please check dtc memory of abs controller.

I'm not sure if the abs code is related in the same manner as the other codes are related. It appears as if the rattle is coming from above the pan. Maybe a result of the existing codes. I have read suggestions about a faults shift sensor or tcm.

Does any of this make sense to anyone?
    Last edited by jv_atc; 09-13-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

sswari, yes we did pull the motor, and changed all 4 chains, guides, tensioners..., no write up, trust me, I'm a rookie, just trying to learn and get my car going

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Plea add... The vibration/roughness at engine idle appeared to be absent after at filter swap and scan

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

sswari, did you have to support the engine from the top when you pulled the starter?

AZ Member #

sswari, did you have to support the engine from the top when you pulled the starter?
    jhv_atc, I supported it from the bottom. It would most likely be better to do it from the top. Dropping the Trans from the bottom was rather intimidating at first. Once I realized that it really is pretty much like any other car (Just a lot tighter) it really wasn't that bad.

I am also trying to remember if the exhaust has to come loose, and I am thinking it does.
    It's My Realtor Car

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Have you double-checked the electric harness going to the transmission to make sure all are tightly in place? Just based on the codes you are getting it seems that the car's computer is having trouble communicating with the TCU

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
    Have you double-checked the electric harness going to the transmission to make sure all are tightly in place? Just based on the codes you are getting it seems that the car's computer is having trouble communicating with the TCU
    I was thinking the same thing, check both ends of the harness.
    It's My Realtor Car

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I have plans to get the car on a lift this weekend. I will check the resistance from/near the TCM. I'm still trying to locate the opposite end, somewhere near the end of the harness. Should I also be checking voltage? Anyone have any resources for images or diagrams on the TCU? Engine code BNK.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Based on those codes above, I think there is an electrical connection issue to the trans. The vehicle is unable to communicate withe the TCU, and it should very definitely be able to do that.

I assume you have a 6HP19A in there. Audi and ZF did a change to the solenoids on the 6HP19A at some point, which went from 3 blue, 3 yellow, 1 black, to being 1 blue, 5 yellow, 1 black. The result was that you would have no drive if the TCU wasn't powered and functioning (it changed the logic of the shift solenoids). It was done as a anti-theft measure, so that if one started the engine with a hacked ECU, the TCU wouldn't engage any drive and you couldn't drive it away.
    Thus since you have no comms with your TCU, you have no drive.

Hopefully it is a connection issue and not an issue with the TCU itself. I assume you reconnected all the earth straps to the engine when you reinstalled it?

Mark

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

On my car, there was a big harness plug (maybe 3" wide so a crap-ton of pins) that sits just over the bellhousing at around the same level as the base of the oil filter housing. I actually had to disconnect this plug in order to remove the OFH as it's support bracket uses one of the bolts that mount the OFH to the back of the engine. Check that one and a few other small ones that are there and go down towards the bellhousing/ sides of the transmission tunnel.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Update 9.18

Pulled the starter to check the plate... All appeared well... function, torqued... Checked the trans plug at the trans for power, good there. Also checked for resistance between the female pins on the plug based upon parameters found on alldata. The resistance was high and inconsistent among pairs and I will verify this again and post findings.

The tcm is not under the passenger carpet as described by many others. On this vehicle, 05 A6 4.2, 6hp19/bnk, it is behind the passenger air bag. I'm planning to access that after I record the trans harness resistance.

Any direction regarding troubleshooting the tcm is welcome. More to follow.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Update 9.18

Pulled the starter to check the plate... All appeared well... function, torqued... Checked the trans plug at the trans for power, good there. Also checked for resistance between the female pins on the plug based upon parameters found on alldata. The resistance was high and inconsistent among pairs and I will verify this again and post findings.

The tcm is not under the passenger carpet as described by many others. On this vehicle, 05 A6 4.2, 6hp19/bnk, it is behind the passenger air bag. I'm planning to access that after I record the trans harness resistance.

Any direction regarding troubleshooting the tcm is welcome. More to follow.
    On a 6HP19 the TCM is inside the transmission, attached to the mechatronic unit. It's not a separate unit like in a C5 A6, which uses a 5HP.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mkv View Post
    On a 6HP19 the TCM is inside the transmission, attached to the mechatronic unit. It's not a separate unit like in a C5 A6, which uses a 5HP.
    Yep, what mkv said.
    It's My Realtor Car

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thank you mkv and sswari!

I'm just now reading your post, after pulling the glove box to get a look behind the dash. I can't imagine how or where the tcm would fit, yet, alldata shows the tcm at the end of the front passenger pilar, in the upper right corner of the dash. I just couldn't see it with the complexity of components, it would require pulling the dash to get a clear view, which I don't plan on doing at this time. I will trust you guys.

Please allow me to introduce the fact that I am a diy'er and not an auto mechanic by trade, just doing my best to learn along the way and all of your guidance is much appreciated.

Update 9.19
    I found 2 sources for ohm readings at the external trans (external regulator solenoid) plug. The basic assumption here is that the information I found is valid. One source is Alldata and the other is from the online Audi workshop manuals - not my exact model available so I selected the closest I could find.

Here are my findings...
    Ohms (from alldata)
    Pins 12 to 2 = nothing, should be 55-65
    Pins 16 to 3 = 122.8, should be 55-65
    Pins 16 to 7 = nothing, should be 55-65
    Pins 12 to 11 = nothing, should be 4.5-6.5
    Pins 16 to 15 = nothing, should be 55-65

Online manual, again not my exact car model
    Pins 2 to 6 = 54.6, should be 60-72

From what I have been able to determine, it may not be the tcm, rather something is completely fried, which I don't believe as I should still get some ohm values, more likely, something is unplugged or blown. I am basing this on the absence of resistance among the pins leading to the trans.

Will you please offer your interpretation of the above circumstances/ohm readings? Please kindly be reminded that the car ran well until the second test drive. Thank you!
    Last edited by jv_atc; Yesterday at 07:39 PM.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I think you are right in thinking that if the circuit is closed, some resistance should be read, yet there isn't. So that would point to the circuit being open somewhere upstream.

Besides the connector you are touching now, is there anything other connector that you may have messed with during removal? Maybe a ground cable for the harness that isn't attached. Another option would be a blown fuse related to the TCM. I've never had to look for it, but if the PCM has a power relay and fuse, I assume so does the TCM. So that's something you can look into as well (funny thing is though, if you DO find a fuse that's popped... the next step would be, why did it pop?).

This damn thing is a puzzle dude lolol

AZ Member #

So any of those values change if you have the car in R, N, D S or tip?

I would be looking for either loose or broken wires. Would a burnt fuse or fried relay cause issues at the Trans connector? And yes, the TCM is inside the Tans, I have one on my dresser waiting for a rebuild. I have a complete trans waiting for a rebuild or a buyer wanting to rebuild it. :)
    It's My Realtor Car

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I wouldn't be taking resistance readings on the plug of the 6HP19. There are warnings on every single guide (ZF, Audi or aftermarket) regarding how ESD can kill these TCM's, specifically when handling the mechatronic and TCM. When you take resistance readings it's injecting a voltage into that circuit.

Based upon your earlier fault codes, it looks like you're scanning with some sort of generic tool. One that only speaks to engine modules.
    Do you have access to VCDS, or any other tool that can specifically talk to the Transmission, not just the engine like the generic tools do. Or if your scan tool can speak to other modules besides the engine, have you tried directly communicating with the TCM? It would be handy to have a VCDS autoscan readout here.

Search for Audi SSP385, which specifically covers the 09L transmission. If you look on page 18, you'll see that there's nothing you can really measure from outside the box. If it has power (check fuses) and it's not communicating with VCDS or another tool which can specifically read the TCM, it's probably dead or at least needs to be removed.