Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Engine Noise

Established Member Two Rings hkdolphins's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Noggy Avant

Engine Noise

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    What cause this weird sound, thanks for the input.

https://youtu.be/XDNB9N0xGw0
    04 Noggy Avant

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Sounds like either a vac leak or something wrong with the injectors imo.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

Established Member Two Rings alexberlin's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by VinnysS4 View Post

Remember Vinny? Mine did/does the same noise... Hope this is going away after all the work, putting engine in and out, etc...

AZ Member #

Op did you notice that this noise is not always? For me it was there, and then sometime it went completely away but came back again, and so on...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Noggy Avant

Quote Originally Posted by alexberlin View Post
    Op did you notice that this noise is not always? For me it was there, and then sometime it went completely away but came back again, and so on...
    Yes, its not always but i only drove 700 miles this year and seem it happened half of the time.
    Im going to replace all control arms, front brake and shock, want to know what other parts may need to order to fix this.
    04 Noggy Avant

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Noggy Avant

Im not good at this, whats part should i start with? I dont know much about car and hope to get all parts for the shop to fix it at one time. thx
    04 Noggy Avant

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by hkdolphins View Post
    Yes, its not always but i only drove 700 miles this year and seem it happened half of the time.
    Im going to replace all control arms, front brake and shock, want to know what other parts may need to order to fix this.
    I hardly drove mine too... Unfortunately I'm not a big help. Though I remember, before my car went into service (and it's still there) the mechanic who analyzed my car did tighten some of those hose clamps, and 1 clamp was even missing, and I think I didn't hear the noise afterwards anymore. But only drove it like home and then shipped the car to my friend.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Noggy Avant

I hardly drove mine too... Unfortunately I'm not a big help. Though I remember, before my car went into service (and it's still there) the mechanic who analyzed my car did tighten some of those hose clamps, and 1 clamp was even missing, and I think I didn't hear the noise afterwards anymore. But only drove it like home and then shipped the car to my friend.
    do you mean the Vacuum System clamp? i googled a kit (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...it/06a198011b/) and not sure it help or not.
    04 Noggy Avant

AZ Member #

do you mean the Vacuum System clamp? i googled a kit (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...it/06a198011b/) and not sure it help or not.
    The ones he tightened looked like that https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...36796702892525 But stay patient, maybe some of the car enthusiast on here can still help you better to narrow down the cause.

AZ Member #

Hey, did you find out yet what this noise is?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Noggy Avant

Hey, did you find out yet what this noise is?
    Not yet, will update after ive time take it to the shop. thanks for the input
    04 Noggy Avant

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    GL450, CLA250, Honda Accord

could you pinpoint location of sound??
    Audi S4 Avant track project. JHM tune, manual swap, JHM LWFW, JHM stage 4 clutch, JHM linkage trio, JHM intake spacers, JHM tensioner, 034 end links (front and rear), 034 Rear sway, 034 transmission mount, Apikol rear diff mount, ECS tuning Engine mounts, Stasis Motorsport Ohlins suspension, Brembo 18z BBK, VW Phaeton brake ducts, Red optima battery, Recaro Speed seats, Militek Catless DPs, Fast Intentions exhaust

AZ Member #

Not yet, will update after ive time take it to the shop. thanks for the input
    Thanks, I'd appreciate that! Good luck man, hope it will be an affordable fix, I still might have to look into that for myself when I have my car back.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsb6s4 View Post
    could you pinpoint location of sound??
    Since it seems to be the same whistle noise like I have, it's on the left side of the engine, really close to the engine, when you're staying in front of it.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Is the noise only present on cold starts? If so my guess would be something related to the secondary air injection pump. No fault codes/CEL?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk86 View Post
    Is the noise only present on cold starts? If so my guess would be something related to the secondary air injection pump. No fault codes/CEL?
    No, it doesn't matter if cold or warm start. It is there randomly. If it is there and you turn off engine, it might go away after starting the engine up again, but then will show up again 5-10 min later or so, or not at all, but then the next day, meh weird thing. It also doesn't change the sound when you push the gas (going even higher or so), the whistling sound stays always the same (frequency).

Senior Member Four Rings Terry.Reese's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Audi Allroad 2.7 Biturbo V6

No, it doesn't matter if cold or warm start. It is there randomly. If it is there and you turn off engine, it might go away after starting the engine up again, but then will show up again 5-10 min later or so, or not at all, but then the next day, meh weird thing. It also doesn't change the sound when you push the gas (going even higher or so), the whistling sound stays always the same (frequency).
    Open your oil cap when it is making this noise, see if it changes.
    Clarice

JHM intake spacers, DIY intake flapper mod, ported TB, heat wrap IM, 034 motor mounts, 12mm wheel spacers, CustomCAI, ZimbuTune, A8 D2 exhaust manifolds, Magnaflow resonated x-pipe. Instagram https://www.instagram.com/raudi.audi73/

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Terry.Reese View Post
    Open your oil cap when it is making this noise, see if it changes.
    Thanks for your input, I will try this, when I have my car back, it's still in the hospital. But in the meantime, maybe OP @hkdolphins can give this a shot?

Senior Member Four Rings Terry.Reese's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Audi Allroad 2.7 Biturbo V6

Also, if you are able, check the whole line for cracks or splits.
    Clarice

JHM intake spacers, DIY intake flapper mod, ported TB, heat wrap IM, 034 motor mounts, 12mm wheel spacers, CustomCAI, ZimbuTune, A8 D2 exhaust manifolds, Magnaflow resonated x-pipe. Instagram https://www.instagram.com/raudi.audi73/

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Noggy Avant

My mechanic checked and seem sound came out from the Intake Intake Manifold, any suggest what need to replace?
    Check engine light came up first time, Cylinder 8 misfire this morning, will it related?
    04 Noggy Avant

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Noggy Avant

Just replaced all front control arms, suspension and brake(i don't think it related). Got the car back and CEL on right away. Shop got Cyclinder 8 misfire, reset it and parked for 5 days. Started the car again, CEL on at 3rd(exactly same as first time), P0021, P300, P0304 this time. Stated as above, shop found the weird sound came from the intake manifold, will these code related? Really need input, thanks
    04 Noggy Avant

Veteran Member Four Rings mad70sx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Silver '04 S4

Just replaced all front control arms, suspension and brake(i don't think it related). Got the car back and CEL on right away. Shop got Cyclinder 8 misfire, reset it and parked for 5 days. Started the car again, CEL on at 3rd(exactly same as first time), P0021, P300, P0304 this time. Stated as above, shop found the weird sound came from the intake manifold, will these code related? Really need input, thanks
    Hello. The noise you are hearing would not be coming from anything suspension related, (control arms, etc) but I think you realize that by now

I have not had a chance to look at or listen to your video but the noise could possibly be a vacuum leak around the intake manifold. It's not unusual for the intake manifold bolts to loosen up and need to be re torqued down. There is an Audi TSB floating around that discuss' this. A vac around the intake manifold *could* be the source of the P0300 & P0304 faults. The P0300 & P0304 faults are random misfire faults on cylinders 8 & 4, respectively. (I believe) A vac leak around the manifold could (and I stress could) cause random misfires. I would recommend checking the torque on the intake manifold bolts then see if the P0300 & P0304 faults go away.

The P0021 fault is problematic, unfortunately.(I know from experience) This fault is typically a camshaft position timing problem. With the BHF engines in our cars, this is commonly caused by a failure of the mechanical cam adjusters. The mechanical adjusters are buried at the back of the engine against the fire wall and are difficult to access and replace. Some have been able to replace them while the engine is still in the car while other have had to pull the engine to replace them. (I pulled my engine to replace them since I did a full timing chain/guide repair) Bad mechanical adjusters can also lead to the P0300 & P0304 are random misfire faults.

I would check your manifold to be it is torqued down properly, make sure there are no other vacuum leaks, clear these faults and see what faults return. If the P0021 comes back, then you probably have an issue with one or both of your mechanical cam adjusters.
    JHM Tune ~ JHM Version 2 Headers ~ FI/JHM 2.5" Exhaust ~ Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers ~ BBS CH

Always dirty, always broken

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

P0021 is for the bank 2 camshaft timing being over advanced. Hate to say it..
    But that code is most commonly associated with either a bad mechanical adjuster that had a pin hole that's wallowed out and will no longer allow the pin to lock into it, or a bad electronic adjuster(control housing). This is what controls the mechanical adjuster to lock and unlock. Recently Zimbu posted how to send 12 volts directly to the solenoid and work it free from sticking. I would try this.

Also, what are your short and long term fuel trims sitting at? Make sure you are in closed loop before checking.

A vacuum leak is very likely, however, it will be blatantly obvious when you look at the fuel trims wether the cause could be a vac leak

1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Noggy Avant

P0021 is for the bank 2 camshaft timing being over advanced. Hate to say it..
    But that code is most commonly associated with either a bad mechanical adjuster that had a pin hole that's wallowed out and will no longer allow the pin to lock into it, or a bad electronic adjuster(control housing). This is what controls the mechanical adjuster to lock and unlock. Recently Zimbu posted how to send 12 volts directly to the solenoid and work it free from sticking. I would try this.

Also, what are your short and long term fuel trims sitting at? Make sure you are in closed loop before checking.

A vacuum leak is very likely, however, it will be blatantly obvious when you look at the fuel trims wether the cause could be a vac leak

VinnysS4, thanks. I read your other post about P0021 last night. I just ordered the oil check valve kit and will let the shop to install it next week. I also thinking there is vaccum leak (even im not mecchanic at all) and will tell the shop to check all again while service the oil valve. The code was P0021 and P0308 last week, shop reset it and i let it sat for a 5 days, CEL came back on after drove 6 miles. I didnt feel anything wrong with my Noggy before, just crazy CEL on right after replaced all stuff.

About the bad mechanical adjuster, so it doesn't mean my guide has been broken, right? that why i didnt hear much rattle sound when i start the engine? that 2 Mechanical adjusters are quite pricey too.
    Last edited by hkdolphins; 10-16-2018 at 02:50 PM.
    04 Noggy Avant

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Noggy Avant

Quote Originally Posted by mad70sx View Post
    Hello. The noise you are hearing would not be coming from anything suspension related, (control arms, etc) but I think you realize that by now

I have not had a chance to look at or listen to your video but the noise could possibly be a vacuum leak around the intake manifold. It's not unusual for the intake manifold bolts to loosen up and need to be re torqued down. There is an Audi TSB floating around that discuss' this. A vac around the intake manifold *could* be the source of the P0300 & P0304 faults. The P0300 & P0304 faults are random misfire faults on cylinders 8 & 4, respectively. (I believe) A vac leak around the manifold could (and I stress could) cause random misfires. I would recommend checking the torque on the intake manifold bolts then see if the P0300 & P0304 faults go away.

The P0021 fault is problematic, unfortunately.(I know from experience) This fault is typically a camshaft position timing problem. With the BHF engines in our cars, this is commonly caused by a failure of the mechanical cam adjusters. The mechanical adjusters are buried at the back of the engine against the fire wall and are difficult to access and replace. Some have been able to replace them while the engine is still in the car while other have had to pull the engine to replace them. (I pulled my engine to replace them since I did a full timing chain/guide repair) Bad mechanical adjusters can also lead to the P0300 & P0304 are random misfire faults.

I would check your manifold to be it is torqued down properly, make sure there are no other vacuum leaks, clear these faults and see what faults return. If the P0021 comes back, then you probably have an issue with one or both of your mechanical cam adjusters.
    mad70sx , thanks, i read a lot from here due i love my noggy and i know nothing about mechanic, can't even do anything like you guys can. Will do the check oil value next week to see what the next step. All crazy noise gone since i replaced all arms, brake and suspension, I enjoy it more but a new problem came out quick
    Last edited by hkdolphins; 10-16-2018 at 03:10 PM.
    04 Noggy Avant