Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

2008 A6 will not start with just message of Needs Service and Ignition On

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So my 2008 A6 4.2L has power to everything in the car, is fully charged and the engine does not turn over. No solenoid, or starter noise, nothing but the key turning.
    The message on the LCD is Needs Service and Ignition On. Other than those two messages nothing is happening but the key turning.

The vehicle has not been turned over since compression testing a couple months ago which worked fine. Turned over NBD during testing but has been sitting with the battery disconnected after some work during the last two months.

Can anyone tell me if there is a safe mode/limp mode or some type of reset I can do? I'm reaching on that, just trying to figure out what would be a complete lockout to the engine attempting to power, when the key is "Ignition On".

Your input and expedited response is appreciated.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You say the car was sitting with the battery disconnected during the 2 months it was parked. Did you load test the battery to make sure it's actually fully charged? or just checked the voltage at the terminals? It can be that it's showing 12.5v at the terminals but the plates inside are actually in the 11v range. I've seen that plenty. The moment you put a load on it (like the starter), nothing happens.

Also, car's messages are pretty useless to diagnose, as I'm sure you can tell. Do you have access to an OBD2 scanner? That will tell you what the computer thinks is wrong and point you in the right direction.

It's certainly behaving as a discharged battery. I'd load test that, along with the codes from an OBD2 scan.
    07 A6 3.2- Out & In- Morimoto 5500k & Nokya 2500k, DeAutoLED Reverse, LP, & Footwells, Ziza Full Interior, 10" lo-pro Pioneer, Audi Aluminum Pedals
    Drivetrain & Suspension- Stoptech X-Drilled & Sport Pads, ST X-Coilovers, Hacked Airbox with aFe, Resonator Delete

"What is best in life? -Kill your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women" Conan the Barbarian

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

the battery is ok. Jumping it, start on a charger. Nothing happens. Its not power. It doesn't even attempt to start. no click, just key.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I am also having a problem with my Ď06 after replacing the battery. It was fine for about two weeks and now I can get it to start for 2 seconds then it shuts down. TPMS warning and park distance warning on the dash. No communication with the transmission computer or the ECU on the VCDS. Something isnít allowing power to terminal 15 for all of those computers.

Do you have the key icon continuously on the instrument cluster? I donít but it would indicate an immobilizer issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

No your situation is different than mine for sure.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Sorry for the delay. I ran all my codes and checked out what I could. Still nothing definitive. Unfortunately I took my car to the bad four letter work, the "Shop". I took it to them and authorized a couple hours only. Good news is they got it to fire up. Wont tell me how of course. Whats more interesting is that its intermittent. I went down and fired it up once myself and the second time...same old story...just a key turn and no crank.

They are bent on the fact that this HAS to BE my starter which has failed. Of course they only want to sell me the part for $600 VS I can pick one up online for $235 -$248. But they wont let me supply the part or be flexible at all. Its quoted three hours of labor as well. Not a cheap repair for a starter. I'm not 100% convinced that this is the problem but if this is the fail, it would be nice to have it solved and just do the fix.

I would rather do it myself and I am hoping that a kind person on here would be willing to tell me the correct and EASIEST method for removing the starter. I cant justify paying $1100 to a shop for this and I would like to work towards a solution ASAP.

So that's the latest after professional diagnostic which seems weird because I never had this type of starting issue before and the car hasn't been driven in months but it did work when I did my compression testing last month and my plugs in July with no issues. Cranked fine.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Well once you get the car out of the shop, you can remove the starter yourself and have it bench-tested at any Advance Auto parts. This will verify their findings before you spend the money. Also, you can try the old mechanic method of tapping the starter solenoid and seeing if it will start then lol.
    07 A6 3.2- Out & In- Morimoto 5500k & Nokya 2500k, DeAutoLED Reverse, LP, & Footwells, Ziza Full Interior, 10" lo-pro Pioneer, Audi Aluminum Pedals
    Drivetrain & Suspension- Stoptech X-Drilled & Sport Pads, ST X-Coilovers, Hacked Airbox with aFe, Resonator Delete

"What is best in life? -Kill your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women" Conan the Barbarian