Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Lost breaks while driving.....2001 A4 Avant 1.8t

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Was out driving today, had to slam on the breaks hard to a complete stop.
    Afterwards I started driving and I hardly have breaks, pedal goes to the floor.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, what broke?

AZ Member #

Never mind....F'ing front flexible break line blew how....wow....that's safe....FUCK AUDI!!!!

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You probably have an issue with your jet suction pump. It is the piece that comes basically right after your brake booster. Your brake booster needs vacuum from the engine to apply brake pressure. If your brake booster does not recieve adequate vacuum, your brake system suffers.

Not saying that is the issue, but strong possibility.

Edit: Nevermind
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like a bitch

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Seerlah View Post
    You probably have an issue with your jet suction pump. It is the piece that comes basically right after your brake booster. Your brake booster needs vacuum from the engine to apply brake pressure. If your brake booster does not recieve adequate vacuum, your brake system suffers.

Not saying that is the issue, but strong possibility.

Edit: Nevermind
    IMG_9017.JPG

Yep what he said, just had this happen to me about a week ago and my symptoms were the same as yours. Was a super easy fix, here’s a pic of the suction jet.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by WC432 View Post
    IMG_9017.JPG

Yep what he said, just had this happen to me about a week ago and my symptoms were the same as yours. Was a super easy fix, here’s a pic of the suction jet.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Thanks for the input...however in my case the front right flexible break line burst. It was an aftermarket break line, so I guess I can't blame Audi for that.....however...the break line was only 3 years old....and that's not supposed to happen when the line is that young. Was a bad day yesterday.

Now...the fix was kind of a pain. The hard break line flare nut that goes from the flexible hose to the caliper as seized on to the flexible hose. It wasn't rusty or anything, just really tight and tight on the hard line tube. I had to take the bracket that holds the hose assembly off the caliper and disconnect the hard line from the caliper, then break the hard line flare nut free on my vice. I didn't have a proper flare nut wrench because Audi uses 11 mm flare nuts, I only had a 10 and a 12mm flare nut wrench....lol. So all I had was a normal 11mm wrench, not good on seized flare nuts. So while I had that off the car I had break fluid running everywhere..lol. So I got it all back together, bleeding it was a snap. Now I have breaks again.

If you ever have to do this job, put really good penetrating oil on the flare nuts and let it soak for awhile. You will need break cleaner to wash all the break fluid off your breaks after your done (burst lines tend to spray hot break fluid everywhere). Also, buy an 11mm flare nut wrench, don't use your regular 11mm wrench, or you will likely end up having to take the hose bracket off the break caliper, or have to buy that specially bent little hard break line after you destroy the flare nut on it trying to take it off. The flare nuts are really soft metal, a flare nut wrench will apply even pressure on all sides of the nut.

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Also, "brakes".

Sorry, had to.

Glad you got it sorted out. Loosing brake pressure while driving is never a fun time.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Established Member Four Rings Joe Jr.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

i had a brake booster go out on a 2000 a4. that was fun. the brakes started being applied harder and harder got to the point to where the car wouldn't move. i had to remove that hose from the suction jet to release pressure. it was weird.
    2001 A4 1.8TQM
    2002 VW TDI 5spd