Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Jake@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MK7-GTI-APR-STG2-Grand-Cherokee-R6-Raven-IRON-1250

Thumbs up Now Available: JHM Audi B8-RS5 4.2L 2.75" Downpipe and X-Pipe Combo

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    JHM 2.75" Performance Downpipe & X-Pipe Combo for the B8 RS5 NOW AVAILABLE!

We are pleased to offer our JHM 2.75" Downpipe & X-Pipe Combo separately from our full exhaust system. For those who are not interested in a full exhaust system and want more performance and exotic sound or plan on completeting the exhaust system down the road, this is for you!

100% BOLT IN - NO CUTTING OR MODIFICATIONS TO YOUR STOCK CATBACK REQUIRED!

COMPATABLE WITH JHM 2.75" VALVED PERFORMANCE CATBACK!

Why 2.75 Inch piping diameter? After much research, calculations, testing and development we found that based on the 4.2L 32v V8 engine's demands, 2.75 Inch piping diameter is the optimal size. With a 2.5 inch exhaust you end up choking off the RS5's free spinning and high-revving V8. We have also found with a 2.75 inch cat back that torque is not sacrificed for power gains in the top end of the RPM band.

Why an X-pipe? Naturally Aspirated V8s always make more power with an X-pipe. The location and size of the X-Pipe in the JHM B8-RS5 Cat-Back Exhaust System has been meticulously researched and developed to produce the best scavenging of the exhaust pulses coming from either side of the motor. The location of our X-Pipe also gives the 32-valve V8 motor a cleaner, more refined tone.

Gasket Matched Flanges: The stock headers on the B8-RS5 are a LARGER diameter than the stock downpipes. This creates a flow restriction and hinders performance. This is because the exhaust gas is forced into smaller diameter piping. Additionally, this transition from larger to smaller diameter piping is not a smooth transition. The smaller diameter of the stock downpipes introduces a wall that the exhaust gasses must first run into before being able to transition creating turbulence. With our JHM Gasket Matched Flanges and the larger diameter of our 2.75" exhaust piping, there is no longer hindrance in exhaust flow allowing optimal exhaust flow for optimal performance gains.

CLICK HERE TO FOR MORE INFORMATION!

If you have any questions or would like help placing your order don't hesitate to contact us!

Sales@JHMotorsports.com
    209-968-0077

Jake

Veteran Member Four Rings JamesRS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Good timing Jake, I was looking to get a resonated downpipe made in 2.75Ē. How much sound volume does it add when you remove the downpipe resonators and add an x-pipe? I was trying to keep my Capristo system very civilised with valves closed.
    I accept a Stage II tuned S5 is quicker than an RS5
    Doug convinced me
    He's also the reason I don't come here much

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JamesRS5 View Post
    Good timing Jake, I was looking to get a resonated downpipe made in 2.75Ē. How much sound volume does it add when you remove the downpipe resonators and add an x-pipe? I was trying to keep my Capristo system very civilised with valves closed.
    We've only ran it with the OEM Cat back, and to be honest it sounded pretty good. Probably the best stock muffler car I've ever heard. I haven't heard a Capristo in person so I honestly can't give you any input on that.

AZ Member #

I'm in the same boat as James here - just recently upgraded to the Capristo system but would like to get wider diameter but resonated downpipes.

After experiencing an RS5 with the capristo catback and AWE non Res downpipes, I can positively state that that is just too brash and gaudy.
    2013 Audi [R]S5 Panther Black - Mods: who cares, it's slow. Edit: and now VERY loud.

Instagram: RS5_onthe_Run
    Instagram: Audisportboston

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by HMS View Post
    I'm in the same boat as James here - just recently upgraded to the Capristo system but would like to get wider diameter but resonated downpipes.

After experiencing an RS5 with the capristo catback and AWE non Res downpipes, I can positively state that that is just too brash and gaudy.
    Thatís my concern too but I wasnít sure if the mixed flow of the x-pipe would have some attenuation.

Donít suppose you are willing to make a resonated version Jake? Iíd say you have 2 sales from the get-go.
    Doug convinced me

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 S3

In the exact same boat as James and HMS, would like the diameter without sounding like a giant asshole. I am also running capristo.
    RS5
    Phantom Black/Black Interior
    Current: Eventuri intake, Capristo exhaust, Interior LEDs, Red Ring Start.
    Pending: Bilstein Ride control, Ecodes, Eventuri Engine Cover, Slam Panel

S3:
    Sepang Blue
    Black/Magma Interior, Technology Package, Black Optics, B&O, Red Brake calipers

AZ Member #
    My Garage

The X-Pipe will help with the tone quite a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Thatís my concern too but I wasnít sure if the mixed flow of the x-pipe would have some attenuation.

Donít suppose you are willing to make a resonated version Jake? Iíd say you have 2 sales from the get-go.
    I will bring it up!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

One thing to keep in mind is that you will still have the OEM Cats installed, so it will never be as vicious as a catless V8 system.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jake@JHM View Post

I will bring it up!

I would appreciate if itís possible and Iím happy to pay up front if you needed a guarantee.

The Capristo system is perfect in its stock form, it is designed to pass the EU regulations with the valves closed so is no louder than the sports exhaust, ideally I would like to keep that level but have the improved flow of the downpipe. I considered the AWE resonated , then a custom 2.75Ē build made locally, but if you can adapt your down pipe then Iíd go for that option.

Looking at your downpipe design, it looks like space may be a restriction as the pipes run close for the X, but Iím wondering if an x-pipe can be integrated into a single central muffler?
    Doug convinced me

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I would appreciate if itís possible and Iím happy to pay up front if you needed a guarantee.

The Capristo system is perfect in its stock form, it is designed to pass the EU regulations with the valves closed so is no louder than the sports exhaust, ideally I would like to keep that level but have the improved flow of the downpipe. I considered the AWE resonated , then a custom 2.75Ē build made locally, but if you can adapt your down pipe then Iíd go for that option.

Looking at your downpipe design, it looks like space may be a restriction as the pipes run close for the X, but Iím wondering if an x-pipe can be integrated into a single central muffler?
    I can say that our system (which includes this downpipe/xpipe) its pretty tame when the flaps are closed . It doesn't get aggressive until you open the flaps. Being that your system has flaps this may end up being a non-issue for you. It shouldn't get much louder than the stock pipes, its just going to flow a lot more.

Yea fitting the resonators there may be an isssue

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5

To tone down my exhaust system which just consisted of no resonators just rear valved mufflers and x piped down pipes, I took out the x pipe and put a resonated X pipe from solo performance.
    It toned down the seismic cold starts, added bass and a deeper overall sound, got rid of the harsher sounds. Love it. I am sure something like this could be fabbed in by JHM instead of their own x or by your an muffler shop if the JHM reg X proves to be too much.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Doesn't look like there is any room on the x-pipe section to add resonators. Does your Capristo system have a center resonator?

Established Member Two Rings BuyTheWarranty's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5

Honestly, I don't feel you guys would need a resonator on the x-pipe or the downpipes, especially if you have the valved setup already with another system. The JHM non resonted down-pipes are roughly 50% quieter than the AWE pipes I had for my B8 S5 in my opinion.

Established Member Two Rings tma5091's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Anybody using high flow cats?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tma5091 View Post
    Anybody using high flow cats?

The stock cats are a part of the stock headers. Only way to remove them is to gut the cans or aftermarket headers (or modified OEM Headers)

Established Member Two Rings tma5091's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Will your downpipes work with an Armytrix cat back exhaust?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tma5091 View Post
    Will your downpipes work with an Armytrix cat back exhaust?

Does your Armytrix bolt to the stock downpipes?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5

The stock cats are a part of the stock headers. Only way to remove them is to gut the cans or aftermarket headers (or modified OEM Headers)
    ... and we canít wait 😊

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5

Poor quality video but you get the idea, this is valves open in dynamic. This definitely isnít a ďloudĒ system outside the car, but I believe itís perfectly balanced and sounds amazing in the drivers seat.

https://youtu.be/HJ1bewmMPco

AZ Member #

Doesn't look like there is any room on the x-pipe section to add resonators. Does your Capristo system have a center resonator?
    Yes it does Jake, the center resonator is a fairly substantial sized unit:

I guess the only way would be to test it out and see how it sounds, any guys local with this system?
    Doug convinced me

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 S3

Yes it does Jake, the center resonator is a fairly substantial sized unit:

I guess the only way would be to test it out and see how it sounds, any guys local with this system?
    I have the center resonated unit and I had my tune installed at JHM but idk if i wanna be the sound guinea pig lol

AZ Member #

Would JHM be willing to try it out to see how it sounds on yours, itís easy enough to swap between the two.
    Doug convinced me

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5

James do you still have your stock DP resonators in?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

We don't have a Capristo system here

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by spa View Post
    James do you still have your stock DP resonators in?

Yes I do.

We don't have a Capristo system here
    But Xyrian does and heís not so far away, curious if youíd be happy to test it on a car with the Capristo if he was willing to be guinea pig.

I was set on resonated downpipes but if yours donít increase the sound then Iíll go for yours.
    Doug convinced me

AZ Member #

I'd imagine the larger diameter pipes do some favors in reducing the harshness (and increasing low end tones) that smaller diameter pipes (like the AWE non res DPs) produce by giving the gas a larger chamber to flow/resonate through. If that's the case, maybe there really isn't a need for a resonator...

I wonder if this was the thinking at JHM..
    2013 Audi [R]S5 Panther Black - Mods: who cares, it's slow. Edit: and now VERY loud.

Instagram: RS5_onthe_Run
    Instagram: Audisportboston

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yes I do.

But Xyrian does and heís not so far away, curious if youíd be happy to test it on a car with the Capristo if he was willing to be guinea pig.

I was set on resonated downpipes but if yours donít increase the sound then Iíll go for yours.
    Possibly, but I would to see if we would have time to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd imagine the larger diameter pipes do some favors in reducing the harshness (and increasing low end tones) that smaller diameter pipes (like the AWE non res DPs) produce by giving the gas a larger chamber to flow/resonate through. If that's the case, maybe there really isn't a need for a resonator...

I wonder if this was the thinking at JHM..
    Pipe sizing does help some. What helps the most is the X-pipe.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5

Yes I do.
    Stock dp resonators don't add any nice sound quality to the exhaust in my experimentation, you should prefer the X pipe sound over them, volume will be increased some but since you have a rear resonator I really can't see it being over the top. I would go for the JHM stuff.

The question to JHM is what's the difference in sound of the 2.75 downpipe & X pipe with their 2.75 exhaust setup vs the car with stock dps and resonators and their 2.75 exhaust setup?
    Last edited by spa; 09-12-2018 at 08:56 AM.

AZ Member #

A volume increase is what Iím trying to avoid, Iím 47 so past wanting things loud.

Ah well, back to plan A and getting one manufactured locally.
    Doug convinced me

AZ Member #
    My Garage

A volume increase is what Iím trying to avoid, Iím 47 so past wanting things loud.

Ah well, back to plan A and getting one manufactured locally.
    Hold on turbo, we are seeing what we can do