Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Coding help for RNS-E power drain?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I bought an allroad that had RNS-E retrofitted in and previous owner reported no issues with it or battery drain.

When I got the car, the car kept dying and my mechanic isolated it to the RNS-E headunit b/c when it was unplugged, the car seemed to start fine each day. So I sent it off to http://www.bba-reman.com which does component level repairs and they said nothing wrong with it and coding is wrong and the unit is "listening for ignition off message which it doesn't get."

So does anyone know if there is a coding for this? Previous owner reported no issues at all and unit was reported to act just fine.

I am wondering if it is a coding issue b/c when the unit was sent off, my car died again and the culprit was:

1. undersized battery that was dying.
    2. ground strap wire to battery was not connected with a nut and causing car to die (I bet shipping company loosened this during shipping).
    3. after 1/2 were fixed, car died again b/c and error code said "low voltage" which mechanic determined to be engine ground w/high resistance so a new ground was made.

Does anyone know if there is a specific coding for this ignition signal? Previous owner was really detailed so I don't think it is a coding issue but rather one of the above issues. Thoughts? Thanks
    Audi S7

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4 Avant, 05 Silver S4 2.7t swap

Coding help for RNS-E power drain?

Post up your current coding. Is it a gen 2 unit?

I know the car, have you tried to troubleshoot with the prior owner? He was/is pretty savvy with electronics.

Sounds like itís unrelated to the radio though. Are you getting a draw from any of the fuses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings V1nny's Avatar
    AZ Member #

post your current coding. Power drain possible if coded for transverse engine, like TT or A3.

AZ Member #

ok well i will once i get car back. been in shop for 5 months b/c i got car and turbo blew immediately due to a weld fail and something flew into turbo. got it back from turbo rebuild (turbo concepts took forever to provide parts) and now car is in shop again for motor pull after 1 week back b/c evidently rebuild was not proper. what a hassle.
    Audi S7