Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2016
    AZ Member #
    374365
    Location
    Europe

    TMC gearbox flash

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Last week bought the TMC gearbox flash, and man how it makes a difference! Much faster gearshifts and more low end torque. Also the fuel economy has improved and the sifts are smoother.
    Im using the flash with the DTUK box.

  2. #2
    Established Member Two Rings Mr. Three's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 27 2012
    AZ Member #
    104855
    Location
    Aptos, California

    Details on this product? I haven't heard of it yet.
    2018 Audi S4 Premium Plus / Nav / Black Optic / S Sport / Fine Nappa / Carbon / EMD Springs / EMD Rear Bar / ECS 10 / 12.5 mm spacers / ECS Transmission Mount
    Cars of the past: 83 A1 GTI / 83 Callaway stage 2 A1 GTI / 86 951 turbo Porsche / 98 Dinan M3 / 95 3.2 OBD1 M3 / 02 E39 M5 / 88 E28 528i / 08 RS4 / 13 S5 / 14 S5 / 15 S5 / 16 APR tuned S6 / 01 996 911 Turbo

  3. #3
    Established Member Two Rings Yabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    416322
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5
    Location
    Cary, NC

    Doesnít look like itís available for the S4
    https://www.tmcmotorsport.com/autofl...gearbox-tuning

  4. #4
    Established Member Two Rings Nez136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 21 2011
    AZ Member #
    72691
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI

    Quote Originally Posted by Yabi View Post
    Doesnít look like itís available for the S4
    https://www.tmcmotorsport.com/autofl...gearbox-tuning
    It is, you have to select 2017, A4 and model spec will be 3.0t s4 saloon


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    '11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

  5. #5
    Established Member Two Rings Yabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    416322
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5
    Location
    Cary, NC

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Established Member Two Rings Nez136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 21 2011
    AZ Member #
    72691
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI

    Quote Originally Posted by Yabi View Post
    Thanks!
    No problem, euro websites are always setup different with how they categorize our cars.... Iím just curious who else is using this and why we havenít heard of it!

    A TCU flash is well worth 400 euros


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    '11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

  7. #7
    Established Member Two Rings Yabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    416322
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5
    Location
    Cary, NC

    Quote Originally Posted by Nez136 View Post
    No problem, euro websites are always setup different with how they categorize our cars.... Iím just curious who else is using this and why we havenít heard of it!

    A TCU flash is well worth 400 euros


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    DTUK just released one last week. Iíve been chatting with Aaron about picking one up. Iíll report back if I do.

  8. #8
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 26 2018
    AZ Member #
    425434
    Location
    Mesa, AZ

    Quote Originally Posted by Yabi View Post
    DTUK just released one last week. Iíve been chatting with Aaron about picking one up. Iíll report back if I do.
    Is the DTUK TCU tune a piggyback unit like their ECU unit?

  9. #9
    Established Member Two Rings Yabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    416322
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5
    Location
    Cary, NC

    Quote Originally Posted by jkeith72 View Post
    Is the DTUK TCU tune a piggyback unit like their ECU unit?
    Itís the same as those TMC Flash; it plugs into the ODB and uploads the tune. From what I hear the TCU tune allows you to push more boost while maintaining smooth shifts. Limited details out right now since itís so new.

  10. #10
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 01 2018
    AZ Member #
    413342
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA

    Hi guys. I do have these on the way over from the UK. I'll have them for sale in the next couple days as soon as my shipment arrives. Right now I am running the first shipment on my personal S4. I have been able to up the boost requst significantly and still maintain a stock like driving feel. This this could really be a game changer, but I want to make it all the way through the drive cycle before I start touting how good it is. It does take a bit to learn the new driving style, but so far, I have this thing on and my DTE tune MAXED and the shifts are smooth as butter. The price will be a direct correlation to the Brittish Pounds Stirling. The US cost will be $500 shipped.
    DT Power - Official US distributor for DTE Systems


  11. #11
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 27 2017
    AZ Member #
    401824
    My Garage
    Brutale 1090, BMW 535ix
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN

    I think I'm in...

  12. #12
    Established Member Two Rings Nez136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 21 2011
    AZ Member #
    72691
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI

    So can the dtuk TCU be flashed back to stock before dealer visits ? Counter and all?


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    '11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

  13. #13
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 01 2018
    AZ Member #
    413342
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Nez136 View Post
    So can the dtuk TCU be flashed back to stock before dealer visits ? Counter and all?


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    The counter is unaffected. As with most gearbox tunes, it is separate from the ECU tune counter. Once tuned though, the only way to return it to stock is to have it reflashed by the dealer. After any dealer visit, you'll need to reflash it.
    DT Power - Official US distributor for DTE Systems


  14. #14
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 01 2018
    AZ Member #
    413342
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA

    These are up on the website now. They will start shipping this Friday. Use the coupon code, DTPINTRO for free shipping. $500 shipped anywhere in the US.

    http://dt-power.com/product/tcu-transmission-tuner/
    DT Power - Official US distributor for DTE Systems


  15. #15
    Established Member Two Rings Nez136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 21 2011
    AZ Member #
    72691
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron@DTP View Post
    The counter is unaffected. As with most gearbox tunes, it is separate from the ECU tune counter. Once tuned though, the only way to return it to stock is to have it reflashed by the dealer. After any dealer visit, you'll need to reflash it.
    But theyíll see that and can void the drivetrain warranty right ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    '11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

  16. #16
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 01 2018
    AZ Member #
    413342
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA

    TMC gearbox flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Nez136 View Post
    But theyíll see that and can void the drivetrain warranty right ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Iím told it is undetectable and in my experience on other platforms, transmission tunes doe not register with the manufacturer. What I understand is that the parameters that are changed are within the factory range and therefore would not trigger a concern if read. However when the dealer reflashes, they set everything back to the default.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    DT Power - Official US distributor for DTE Systems


  17. #17
    Established Member Two Rings Nez136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 21 2011
    AZ Member #
    72691
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron@DTP View Post
    Iím told it is undetectable and in my experience on other platforms, transmission tunes doe not register with the manufacturer. What I understand is that the parameters that are changed are within the factory range and therefore would not trigger a concern if read. However when the dealer reflashes, they set everything back to the default.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Makes sense to me


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    '11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

  18. #18
    Veteran Member Four Rings CreoSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 22 2004
    AZ Member #
    772
    My Garage
    2016 Acura RDX
    Location
    West L.A.

    Is there a way to resell this after the car is sold/traded in, or is it locked to the initially flashed car?
    -Mike- : 2001 S4 → 2011 S4 → 2014 S6 → 2018 S4
    LendUS, LLC

  19. #19
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 01 2018
    AZ Member #
    413342
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by CreoSTi View Post
    Is there a way to resell this after the car is sold/traded in, or is it locked to the initially flashed car?
    It is locked to the car. Basically you give it to whomever you got the car from or you can send it back to us and we can remap it for a cost most of the time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    DT Power - Official US distributor for DTE Systems


  20. #20
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jul 21 2018
    AZ Member #
    422806
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    Did you have any issues in Manual mode with the TMC TCU flash? My DTUK TCU tune is causing my gearbox to downshift automatically when I aggressively accelerate in Manual. For example if I am in 3rd at 3,500 rpm and roll on the throttle aggressively it will downshift to 2nd and rev to ~5,000 rpm. It has done this several times now and my OEM TCU tune always stayed in the gear I selected in manual when accelerating hard. Don't know if this is a feature or a bug. Thanks.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I will add that D and S modes are smoother and more responsive but I really prefer M when driving spiritedly.
    Last edited by B9S4; 09-18-2018 at 09:02 PM.

  21. #21
    Active Member Two Rings Filipao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 25 2010
    AZ Member #
    68644
    Location
    Estoril, Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by B9S4 View Post
    Did you have any issues in Manual mode with the TMC TCU flash? My DTUK TCU tune is causing my gearbox to downshift automatically when I aggressively accelerate in Manual. For example if I am in 3rd at 3,500 rpm and roll on the throttle aggressively it will downshift to 2nd and rev to ~5,000 rpm. It has done this several times now and my OEM TCU tune always stayed in the gear I selected in manual when accelerating hard. Don't know if this is a feature or a bug. Thanks.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I will add that D and S modes are smoother and more responsive but I really prefer M when driving spiritedly.
    Any news on this from DTUK?

    I have just received my DTUK flash and would like to know whether this is a bug or an inbuilt feature.

    Thank you!

  22. #22
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jul 21 2018
    AZ Member #
    422806
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    So I figured out the reason it was doing this is the Pedalbox. Basically the oem setup will also kick down if you push the accelerator to the floor but I always roll onto the throttle and don't get to the floor until I am at ~5,000 rpm (no margin to downshift). With the Pedalbox the ECU thinks the pedal is to the floor when it is only say ~50% to the floor (depends on the setting you are on) so basically when I was rolling onto the accelerator it would reach the "kickdown" position much earlier in the pedal travel. So I have removed the Pedalbox and it is working as expected now. I have the DT Power piggyback and DT Power (DTUK) TCU tune still installed.

  23. #23
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Aug 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    405335
    Location
    Durham

    Quote Originally Posted by B9S4 View Post
    So I figured out the reason it was doing this is the Pedalbox. Basically the oem setup will also kick down if you push the accelerator to the floor but I always roll onto the throttle and don't get to the floor until I am at ~5,000 rpm (no margin to downshift). With the Pedalbox the ECU thinks the pedal is to the floor when it is only say ~50% to the floor (depends on the setting you are on) so basically when I was rolling onto the accelerator it would reach the "kickdown" position much earlier in the pedal travel. So I have removed the Pedalbox and it is working as expected now. I have the DT Power piggyback and DT Power (DTUK) TCU tune still installed.
    great to hear you've managed to sort the anomaly :) , its not something anyone else had mentioned to pleased to hear it was a simple "fix"

  24. #24
    Active Member Two Rings Filipao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 25 2010
    AZ Member #
    68644
    Location
    Estoril, Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
    great to hear you've managed to sort the anomaly :) , its not something anyone else had mentioned to pleased to hear it was a simple "fix"
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback, @B9S4

  25. #25
    Active Member Two Rings SMI77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 23 2018
    AZ Member #
    412892
    Location
    Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by B9S4 View Post
    So I figured out the reason it was doing this is the Pedalbox. Basically the oem setup will also kick down if you push the accelerator to the floor but I always roll onto the throttle and don't get to the floor until I am at ~5,000 rpm (no margin to downshift). With the Pedalbox the ECU thinks the pedal is to the floor when it is only say ~50% to the floor (depends on the setting you are on) so basically when I was rolling onto the accelerator it would reach the "kickdown" position much earlier in the pedal travel. So I have removed the Pedalbox and it is working as expected now. I have the DT Power piggyback and DT Power (DTUK) TCU tune still installed.
    What was your Pedalbox setting?
    Did you try a different setting & the result?
    Easy short-term fix, but curious about your long-term fix?
    '17 B9 S4 Avant ~ Daytona Grey ~ 'quattro' Sport Diff ~ Pano Roof ~ Black Package ~ Carbon Fibre Inlays
    PLUS OZ Racing black 19 x 9 wheels ~ Audi C/Fibre mirror caps ~ DTUK Tune/Pedal boxes & TCU Tune ~ De-badged ~ Eibach Springs ~ 034 M/sports rear bar ~
    RS style s/s black tips ~ Relak s/wheel paddles ~ Goodridge s/s braided lines ~ PowerStop ceramic pads~ RS style black grille & carbon effect 'OOOO' ~ Puddle LEDs 'OOOO'/'Audi' & 'quattro'

  26. #26
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jul 21 2018
    AZ Member #
    422806
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    My last setting was green +3 but I decided to take it out. I can see the benefit for some driving styles but for me it didn't work with my driving style (always in M when spirited driving and prefer maximizing the pedal's position fidelity). The car's Linear Voltage Differential Transducer (LVDT) sensor has a fixed resolution across the pedal travel range. The Pedalbox adds a gain to that signal depending on which setting. So let's say the LVDT pedal sensor has 1024 bit range but by adding the Pedalbox you inherently lose fidelity in the signal by adding a gain. So it is more difficult to modulate power to the exact amount. This isn't any type of design flaw or anything it is the purpose of the box and some vehicles like M cars have a "Pedalbox" like feature built-in with different driving modes. I gave it a shot but just wasn't for me.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.