Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Car stopped while driving.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello Everyone,

I was driving on the freeway 100km/h and my car suddently started losing power and eventually died.

I pulled on the emergency line and got it towed,

Here is a video when I start the car.

Its not an alternator nor starter what could it be? Timing belt?

https://youtu.be/WVDmrKLw7hE

Established Member Two Rings [deleted]'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AudiSlineFan View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I was driving on the freeway 100km/h and my car suddently started losing power and eventually died.

I pulled on the emergency line and got it towed,

Here is a video when I start the car.

Its not an alternator nor starter what could it be? Timing belt?

https://youtu.be/WVDmrKLw7hE
    Have you checked behind the timing cover on the front of your cylinder head?
    Last edited by [deleted]; 09-10-2018 at 03:49 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '97 A4 2.8, NA8 Miata

Sounds like there is no compression. Start with checking the timing belt.
    1998.5 A4 Quattro 1.8TQM AEB
    Stage 1 GIAC, 710N DV, ECS Snub Mount, ECS SS Brake Lines, A8 Rotors, Bilstein Sports/H&R Springs

1997 A4 Quattro 12v 2.8
    Stock... slow... 255k miles and counting

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Do I have to pull the whole front out bumper, radiator, etc to see if its the timing belt? is there any other way to see it?

If its timing belt engine is damaged?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Itís not that hard. Front bumper 4 bolts and then put the front carrier into service position. I found it easier to just take the front carrier off and swing it out the way keeping the trans and ac lines connected.

However I would get a compression tester before starting. Useful tool and if you really have a broken timing belt it will help identify which cylinder is the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '97 A4 2.8, NA8 Miata

Do I have to pull the whole front out bumper, radiator, etc to see if its the timing belt? is there any other way to see it?

What engine? On the 1.8T you can easily pull off the upper timing cover without removing any other components.
    1998.5 A4 Quattro 1.8TQM AEB
    Stage 1 GIAC, 710N DV, ECS Snub Mount, ECS SS Brake Lines, A8 Rotors, Bilstein Sports/H&R Springs

1997 A4 Quattro 12v 2.8
    Stock... slow... 255k miles and counting

Veteran Member Four Rings Nollywood's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Avant 420-R, Toyota Runx 1.4 16V

From the video, the engine has zero compression.

Timing belt snapped.
    Timing belt stripped teeth, and jumped timing.
    Valve dropped.
    Crankshaft pulley keyway sheared, pulley spun.
    Camshaft pulley keyway sheared, pulley spun.

All of these are bad news.

If you pull back the timing cover, and the belt is still tight on the sprocket, then I would say #1 scenario is ruled out, and youíre looking at scenario #2 - #5.

You donít state which engine youíve got, though.
    His:
    B7 420-R Avant - RS6 4.2 BiTurbo, (BCY). B7/8.5 Hybrid "RS4" OEM Widebody Coming Soon.

Waiting To Purchase 2012 B7 Seat Exeo ST Sport Tech.

Hers:
    2002 Toyota Runx, 1.4L DOHC 16V Auto.

Veteran Member Four Rings Nollywood's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Avant 420-R, Toyota Runx 1.4 16V

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    Have you checked behind the timing cover on the front of your cylinder head?
    Why revel / find pleasure in the misfortune of others? I fail to see whatís so funny here.
    His:
    B7 420-R Avant - RS6 4.2 BiTurbo, (BCY). B7/8.5 Hybrid "RS4" OEM Widebody Coming Soon.

Waiting To Purchase 2012 B7 Seat Exeo ST Sport Tech.

Hers:
    2002 Toyota Runx, 1.4L DOHC 16V Auto.

AZ Member #

I've had the ground lug on the firewall come loose on my 2001 A4, it shut the engine off and made the dash go nuts while driving. Not cool Audi. The ground lug is behind and below the coolant expansion tank, so that will have to be unscrewed and lifted out to check the ground. Put some lock tight on the ground lug and wrench it back down. Thanks again Audi.

I agree though, before trying to start the car again (which you likely already did) I would take the timing belt cover off to see if the belt is still on the top cam pully.
    If you try starting the engine after a timing belt has snapped you run the risk of bending valves and basically making the car worthless. Thanks for the interference fit heads Audi, great idea on a commuter car.
    A dead alternator can cause a car to shut off and not start again, because it stops charging the battery. That's another easy thing to check.
    Running out of fuel will shut a car off, but it should still be able to crank.
    A fuel pump failing will shut the fuel off to the engine, but it should still be able to crank. (sometimes you can go to where the fuel pump cover is on the inside of your car and bump it with your foot to get the pump freed and running enough to get the car home, if you are lucky)
    Other issues, such as failed sensors will likely not stop the engine from running, but could make it run like crap.
    Melted ignition control wires could shut an engine off, or make it run like crap.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by LA4 View Post
    What engine? On the 1.8T you can easily pull off the upper timing cover without removing any other components.
    You don't even really need to take the cover completely out of the car to see if the belt is intact, just undo the two snaps hold it on and bend over a bit to see the belt, should not be frayed and should be sitting tight on the cam pully.

AZ Member #

If your timing belt fails it's very possible valves will hit pistons.
    If you are on the side of the road after your engine quits (it's an Audi....expect your car to fail frequently while you are between point A and B) do not try to start it.
    If you do have a failed timing belt, the rotation of the engine while it's in gear can be enough to damage valves if the cams stay in a position that has valves that are pushed out.
    However, you can get lucky if the cams are in the right position. But, if you try starting the engine again while on the side of the road, all bets are off.

So after a quick side-of-the-road timing belt inspection, if it looks ok, don't sweat it....if there is obviously something wrong with the belt, call a tow truck.

To know if you have a bent valve? This is where it can get expensive.

1. Do a timing belt job and I would replace the tensioner as well (in case it contributed to the belt failure)
    2. Do a compression/pressure test on all your cylinders to see if you have any leak down.
    3. If you have bad compression or pressure doesn't hold, you will need to take the head off the engine and to a machine shop for a valve job. Have the head inspected for cracks while you are at it.

So the point here is that you have to spend money to even know if your engine survived the failed timing belt. This is why timing belts are stupid....thanks Audi...you are so smart.

NOTE: about the 1.8t. Because Audi makes shitty engines that cannot be taken apart without having to machine everything first before putting them back together, if you take the head off and you do not line bore and clean the deck your engine will likely start consuming/burning much more oil then it ever had before taking the head off. However, if you don't care about burning oil, then go ahead and put that freshly straightened and rebuilt head on a wobbly engine block and expect it to burn oil.

If you are lucky and the valves are fine after a timing belt mishap.....get rid of your Audi....
    If you put a timing belt off to find valves are bent.....get rid of your Audi....it's not worth the money to fix.....unless you really enjoy self mutilation.

Then for your next car, avoid buying one with a timing belt.....or buy one that has a timing belt that doesn't require special tools to replace.

Senior Member Two Rings PsorianoPre99A4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

fuel pump?
    My Daily

1999.0 A4 1.8TQM AEB Casa Blanca White
    Stage 3 United Motorsports - Vogtland GT3 - Frankenturbo F21L - TR18T FMIC - 630cc - 3" MAF - 3" 034 HFC - 2.5-3" Neuspeed Catback - ECS RA4 Clutch/12lbsteel - OEM Roof Rack - K&N/F21 TIP - DAWES MBC - VDO Gauge - TurboXS DV - 034 PCV - 034 Rear Sway/Subframe - 034 ICM Delete 2.0 coils - Stock Internals

Established Member Four Rings Joe Jr.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

listening to the video i'm in with Nollywood....that starter is just spinning ....no compression sound at all...

i've had fuel pumps go out and it doesn't sound like that..
    2001 A4 1.8TQM
    2002 VW TDI 5spd