Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Have a line on D3A8L, looking for advise.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi guys/gals, my brother in law has a 2007 A8L with 144k on the clock (4.2). The driver rear strut has failed, thereís oil leaks galore and the seat bottoms need reupholstered. He doesnít have the patience for it, but Iíve been an Audi owner for a while now and Iím excited at the chance to own the V8. I havenít done a lick of research on this car yet, Iím headed to a 10 day school and plan on spending all of my down time reading about the D3 platform.

My quick questions are:
    -Does the car have potential for longevity?
    -Is there a go to place for air strut replacements?
    -Will the 4.2 always leak oil (his nonstop complaint since purchasing the car)?

-Will
    2005.5 A4 Avant; TSI cam follower conversion. Build Thread

99.5 1.8TQM; Maestro, GTX2867R, and a ton more mods. RIP
    Build Thread

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

From B5's to D3's. I just got mine with 210k on the clock so I think longevity will be fine (I've seen a ton on clist in the mid 200's). The only leaks on my engine were the VCG, everything else is bone dry. Just don't install a faulty CCT like me

Senior Member Three Rings supremedk's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Just like any car, longevity will depend on how the car was cared for. It has a lot of features so that means more things to possibly break at some point and at nearly 12 years old with 144k on the clock no doubt this will happen. Air struts( as you are seeing) , auto trunk motors, radio screen gears,window regs, control arms are all on the list.

The engine is the same as any other 4.2 and when in good condition or repaired properly shouldnít leak a drop.

Do a google search for rebuilt A8 struts and you will find them easily enough, a few hundred a piece.

I have an 08 L and I love it!! It has been pretty trouble free for me, but I have only put 10k miles on it in the 4 years I have owned it. I also went with an aftermarket air ride system to get rid of the problematic Audi system.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks!
    2005.5 A4 Avant; TSI cam follower conversion. Build Thread

99.5 1.8TQM; Maestro, GTX2867R, and a ton more mods. RIP
    Build Thread