Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Question Audi 2015 A3 sedan swap 2.7t?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and was wondering if it's possible. I know that reliability I should just stick with the stock engine and build it, but I've been having some crazy ideas and trying to see for something different and unique, on a light body, new and more aggressive look and unexpected. Would it be possible to swap a 2.7t from b5s4 into a new 2015+ Audi A3 sedan. I'm aware I'll need, diff, axles, brakes, disks, trans, drive shaft and etc. The question is, is the engine bay big enough to fit everything? I'm pretty sure I can find an S4 for cheap and just do an inspection and repair if needed on the engine, trans and etc.

Hate comments and everything of that sort to be kept to yourself, I'm just really interested into doing such a swap.

P.S. 1 thing positive that will come out from this swap would be the fact that the car will be manual and not automatic and would be able to enjoy the drive and shifting in it.

Established Member Three Rings ralphie_43's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm rooting to see this happen but i'm not sure the 2.7t will fit in the A3. The more practical thing to do IMO is putting a 5cyl in there

Sent from my SM-G930V using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

This comment has nothing to do with fitment, but more of an emissions/ inspection thing, & not even sure if I’m correct..(maybe somebody can clarify)

but I recall reading about swapping a newer motor into an older chassis being ok, but trying to swap an older motor into a newer chassis could bring up all kinds of problems during emissions/ inspection.
    Basically the info that the 15 A3 4 cylinder motor should be delivering during the tests will be replaced by the more primitive 2.7t 6 cylinder info & confuse the test..

Again, I could be wrong.. but I recall searching this back in the VR6 Obd1 / Obd2 days.. & swapping a Obd1 motor/Ecu into an Obd2 chassis will gaurentee you fail emissions because the test performed for the Obd2 chassis, simply can’t get the proper info from the Obd1 motor.

Someone please chime in if I’m incorrect!!

Established Member Three Rings S3DUDE's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Why do the 2.7 when the 2.0 is so capable? for less than $2000 you can put a IS38 and a tune and the 2.7l can't touch that.
    2018 RS3 Glacier White European delivery. Driven at 140mph /4000 rpm the within the first 25 miles after picking it up from the factory.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Was just looking to find if having the v6 power with a twin setup would be capable of doing.... Hell I'll even do it with the S4 2018 engine lol and find a manual tranny and do a custom twin setup (since turbo is on top of engine). Better mpg even with the new engine lol. I'm a 4 cylinder guy, but want to do something different, so here is why I came and asked if it would be possible to fit in, if not I'll just drop the idea lol.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

The 2.7 and the 3.0 sc engines are both 90 degree vs iirc. I dont think its physically possible unless you put it in the hatch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Established Member Three Rings ralphie_43's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What about a VR6?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ralphie_43 View Post
    What about a VR6?

I would doubt the vr6 would fit, only cuz its not a V shape, so it would take a lot of the space, while the V6 from the new S4 and the B5S4 would make sense, cuz it's a V shape and would make it easier, but need a confirmation that it's actually possbile though.

Senior Member Three Rings INYAUDI's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have an A3, my friends have a 3.6 VR6 passat and his bro has a B5S4. Im the mechanically inclined one of the group and can tell you for a fact the 2.7 wouldnt be worth it. The VR6 is almost the same size as ours (2.0t). But besides the exhaust note, not worth it either. My car is the fastest and least likely to cause understeer.
    ZERO FCHS DRIVEN

Veteran Member Three Rings Spinnetti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You do realize that the a3 is a FWD transverse engine, and all the stuff you mention are Longitudinal engine layouts? Anything is possible, but if you don't already know how to do this you are in way over your head, and even if you do know what you are doing, it would still be a mess. Though possible, this isn't practical 100 different ways. Minimally you need an A4 with the correct engine orientation - that will take those engines, and a twin turbo VR6 in a A4 would be cool. For the A3, just boost up the 2.0. Its a great engine with lots of potential.
    2015 S3: Uni Stage 2 ECU/TCU / Most of the 034 chassis and suspension catalog / APR Intake, Turbo inlet and Downpipe / ECS resonator delete / Neuspeed turbo muffler delete & discharge piping / 18x8.5 ET35 255/40
    2008 R8 V8 Manual: Uni 93 ECU tune / Avior Exhaust / 15mm Spacers / R8 Puddle lights / Custom mats
    1991 LS400: Literally every part replaced or modified in some way (24hrs of Lemons car)

Senior Member Three Rings davyboi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Dont Do it. For the amount of money this will cost you... You can get your A3 very..very fast

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by WaffleCup View Post
    Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and was wondering if it's possible. I know that reliability I should just stick with the stock engine and build it, but I've been having some crazy ideas and trying to see for something different and unique, on a light body, new and more aggressive look and unexpected. Would it be possible to swap a 2.7t from b5s4 into a new 2015+ Audi A3 sedan. I'm aware I'll need, diff, axles, brakes, disks, trans, drive shaft and etc. The question is, is the engine bay big enough to fit everything? I'm pretty sure I can find an S4 for cheap and just do an inspection and repair if needed on the engine, trans and etc.

Hate comments and everything of that sort to be kept to yourself, I'm just really interested into doing such a swap.

P.S. 1 thing positive that will come out from this swap would be the fact that the car will be manual and not automatic and would be able to enjoy the drive and shifting in it.
    Anything can be done with enough effort and money. I think the dimensions of the 2.7t engine are a bit much for the engine bay of the A3. However, I've seen a few VR6 conversions in MK7 VW Golfs. Same sized engine bay so it should easily fit in the A3.