Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Spring choices...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I will be buying springs in the next couple weeks...gotta lose the 4x4 look ;)
    I had ED springs on my S3, and see that some users have them on their B9 as well. I would like a smallish drop, and like to keep the stock ride qualities. My car has the mag shocks, so would want something that would work well with that too.
    Initially I was thinking of maybe an HAS setup? I will likely not change heights, so not sure if its worth the extra $$...or maybe it is?

Lastly, is the install anything like VW? My GTI and S3 were pretty simple, hoping this S4 will be the same!

I would love to hear what everyone thinks.

Thanks in advance!

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I did the ED springs and I too have the mag shocks. I wanted a reasonable drop (not slammed) and stock ride quality. I raced BMWs for years with BMW CR ad SCCA and was a HPDE instructor and wasn't looking for a track car ride - this is a pure street car (no track days). I think the ED springs with the ED rear sway bar is a great compromise. Looks 100 times better and rides like stock. The way I've described it is: this set up is what a factory sport suspension option might have been if available from Audi - both in terms of drop and ride.

There are other great options with progressive springs (034 springs) as well as adjustable options, but for a street car, this was a great compromise.

Install was straight forward and the negative camber is not overdone.

Vince

Established Member Two Rings Mr. Three's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Agree with m332is...I did the same package. Well priced and works great!
    2018 Audi S4 Premium Plus / Nav / Black Optic / S Sport / Fine Nappa / Carbon / EMD Springs / EMD Rear Bar / ECS 10 / 12.5 mm spacers / ECS Transmission Mount
    Cars of the past: 83 A1 GTI / 83 Callaway stage 2 A1 GTI / 86 951 turbo Porsche / 98 Dinan M3 / 95 3.2 OBD1 M3 / 02 E39 M5 / 88 E28 528i / 08 RS4 / 13 S5 / 14 S5 / 15 S5 / 16 APR tuned S6 / 01 996 911 Turbo

AZ Member #

Thanks guys! That's kind of what I thought I may hear. Based on the pictures I have seen, the drop is just right for my tastes The HAS springs are intriguing, but probably not worth the money for my use....street only. I love that I can have my car in Comfort and it rides like a sports sedan should. Even in Dynamic, it is pretty docile.
    These will remain at the top of my list still! May wait for a sale, though I don't know if I can wait that long ;)

AZ Member #

I almost forgot....Do you think there is any need to recalibrate the mag ride to the new ride height? I ask because it was recommended to do so on my S3. Measured from the center of the hub to the fender...

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Who makes ED springs? Emmanuele Design? I'm happy with the ride height but I wouldn't mind something a bit firmer.

AZ Member #

I didn't recalibrate anything re the shocks and they've been fine with the aftermarket ED springs.

AZ Member #

It use to be a unwritten rule that if you had an audi you did H&R sport springs if you didn't spring for the coilovers (no pun intended). Times have changed I guess.

I have owned 5 S4's in my life..... my past 4 all had H&R sport springs.

I was planning on ordering a set for my 2 month old B9 S4..... is there any reason why you guys don't consider or like the H&R's?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by carguy19 View Post
    It use to be a unwritten rule that if you had an audi you did H&R sport springs if you didn't spring for the coilovers (no pun intended). Times have changed I guess.

I was planning on ordering a set for my 2 month old B9 S4..... is there any reason why you guys don't consider or like the H&R's?
    Are the H&R springs progressive or linear? I think it comes down to how you want the ride to be, and a drop that loses the 4x4 look without being slammed. I don't drive too aggressively, and like stock ride qualities. Linear springs generally work best for me. My last set of progressive were just too aggressive for my taste...

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jkeith72 View Post
    Are the H&R springs progressive or linear? I think it comes down to how you want the ride to be, and a drop that loses the 4x4 look without being slammed. I don't drive too aggressively, and like stock ride qualities. Linear springs generally work best for me. My last set of progressive were just too aggressive for my taste...
    That was exactly my thoughts as well. I've been very happy with the drop on the real world Western NY roads as well as the ride. I also think its a bit stiffer but not uncomfortable at all. Very happy with the ED springs.

Veteran Member Four Rings jran76's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 and 2002 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by carguy19 View Post

I think they lower the rear too much relative to the front: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...Sale-AWE-B9-S4

I also prefer a linear spring, but Iím trying to decide between the EMD springs or the MSS kit that is adjustable.
    2012 S4 : Ibis White : Black Nappa : S-tronic : Sports Diff : MMI Nav : B&O : APR Stage II+ : AWE Exhaust : Alpha Coolant System : ECS Intake : AP Racing RadiCal BBK : H&R OE Springs : Bilstein B8 Sport Shocks : Hotchkis Sway Bars : EuroCode Endlinks/AluKreuz : 034 Trans/Diff Mounts : CR-15 Strut Brace : BC Forged HB04 Wheels : Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires : EuroGear CF Diffuser : Osir CF Fog Light Grilles : RS5 Pedals : Black Optics Grille