Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring nymexwti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Question - 2018 RS5 Offset Wheels

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi Folks

I'm new to Audi and this forum so looking forward to learning about the brand and getting some advice. I owned M3 Convertibles for 20 years and just bought a 2014 RS5 Convertible as I'm done with BMW and wanted to see what the RS5 would be like. I love the Audi.

I am now looking at the new RS5 in anticipation of the new convertible. The new RS5 looks like it would look better if it had slightly wider wheels on the back of the car much like the M4. 285's??

Has anyone done this or does anyone have any advice? Sorry in advance to any coupe owners I have offended but I just love a fast car with the roof down.
    Last edited by nymexwti; 09-02-2018 at 06:02 AM.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I personally haven't heard any news of there being a new RS5 convertible. Just the Coupe which is already out and the Sportback which should be out by the end of the year / start of 2019 in the US.

AZ Member #

I figure they will make one or they won't have a performance convertible in the range except the R8. In other words they won't have a competitor to the M4 and C63 convertibles. If they don't make one then I have a problem as I love this RS5 Convertible.

Any idea if anyone has put 285's on the back of the new RS5? The stock wheels just look a little skinny with plenty of room for something a little bigger.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The guys at TAG Motorsports have put 285/30R20's all the way around on at least a couple new RS5 coupes so far.
    I've also seen a few others with them on 20x10.5's as well. I plan on doing the 285/30's on 20x10 ET 30 wheels because I don't
    like the stretched look and prefer a perpendicular sidewall. It will also help protect my wheel edge better.

See here.....
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...AG-Motorsports

https://tagmotorsports.com/gallery/a...ssen-mx-1.html

AZ Member #

Thanks for the info. 2 great looking cars.

I don't think I will bother with lowering the car but having looked at the new RS5 I believe it needs wider wheels and am still wondering why it isn't standard from the factory. My only concern with the wider tires on the front is how it might affect the steering. I'm used to an offset wheel setup on my M3's but perhaps with the all wheel drive the 285's might be a benefit. As I said in my post I'm new to Audi and looking for advice from other owners like yourself.

Once you have your car done and feel like posting a few photos, I would love to see it. Good luck and thanks again for the links.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Mops@Nemesis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

I've been around the 5 coupes for 8-9 years now, and 95% of those that upgrade to an aftermarket wheel setup run 20x10 or 20x10.5 on 275/30 or 285/30 square.

That said, you can certainly run say a 20x9 on 255/35 up front and 20x10.5 on 285/30 rear. With Quattro, you must keep the front to rear total diameter variance within 2.5%. The 255/285 set I mentioned comes in a 1.1%. And BBS offers the CH-R in 20x9/10.5 for your car.

Hope that helps!
    034Motorsport | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Sparco | Stoptech | TSW | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

AZ Member #

Hi Mops

That's a great help. I appreciate you getting back to me. I think I'll probably go with an offset setup. As I'm waiting for the convertible RS5 I have some time to research what's out there and best.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Senior Member Two Rings zoomzoom!'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Q5 3.0T (Wife), 2000 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by heymoe View Post
    I personally haven't heard any news of there being a new RS5 convertible. Just the Coupe which is already out and the Sportback which should be out by the end of the year / start of 2019 in the US.
    There will not be an RS5 convertible, as confirmed by the Audi of America rep over on another forum. This sad news is why I am currently in a "regular" S5 cabriolet. </grumble>

What I REALLY wanted was a TT-RS Roadster....but alas, we get screwed over in the states again, as usual. Can't get that one, either.
    SOLD: 2013 A6 3.0T