Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Should I get it and try to fix it?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I came across this unit for sale. 2007 a3 Quattro, timing belt broke, owner is selling as is plus an engine they got to replace it. I have only seen a video they sent me. Not sure if it's worth the hassle. 105k miles. I was thinking of offering them $1,500.00.

https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u...p4&sz=33154106
    Last edited by Ray1031; 09-02-2018 at 05:30 AM.

Active Member Two Rings absolutt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 Audi A3 2.0T DSG 85k mi

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1031 View Post
    I came across this unit for sale. 2007 a3 Quattro, timing belt broke, owner is selling as is plus an engine they got to replace it. I have only seen a video they sent me. Not sure if it's worth the hassle. 105k miles. I was thinking of offering them $1,500.00.

https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u...p4&sz=33154106
    That's a very weird situation. She bought an entire engine for the timing belt? Btw, she said "timing chain," but she's wrong -- that original engine has a timing belt, unless the replacement engine is from a newer model with a timing chain.

First off, when a timing belt breaks, the valves and pistons (possibly camshaft) can wind up damaged. If the engine checked out A-OK and there's no other problems, then it's a bit silly that they just didn't get the timing belt done. That's about a $1500 job. From the way she talks, it sounds like she got an estimate for the timing belt job (maybe $1500) and when she discovered she could get a used engine in excellent shape for less (maybe $1000?), she decided to buy it to get the timing belt from it... completely oblivious to the fact that 70% of the cost of doing a timing belt is the labor.

Second, there's the matter of the replacement engine. If she got a much better deal on the purchase of a spare engine with intact timing belt, I'm going to presume that it's not reconditioned and might even be a high mileage engine from a junkyard salvage. You DO NOT salvage a timing belt from an old engine... because it's a USED TIMING BELT. You want a brand new timing belt installed, because they have about an 80k lifespan.

So find out about the spare engine. On the very odd chance it's documented and maybe even recently reconditioned, it could be worth swapping that engine in place. But that's sheer speculation at this point. Lastly, forget about a $1500 offer. If the car is in otherwise very sound mechanical shape (in addition to excellent cosmetic exterior/interior), then it's probably worth about $7,500 after the timing belt replacement. She forked out at least $1000 for that extra engine on top of all this. So... if you make an offer for the car without the engine, that's going to be a tough one to pull off.
    Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue