Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Petition to save Audi manuals transmission vehicles in North America? Thoughts?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    We know Audi is killing the manual transmission in the A4/A5 2.0T in every market (which sadly kills current Audi manual transmission offerings in the US/Canada as well, since that's the only engine option offered here). They wanted a 10-12% take rate world wide but it was lower than that. Personally, I think they could have hit their mark of 10-12%, at least in North America, if they would have given it more media attention. None of the commercials and online ads for the A4 mentioned the manual transmission. I understand that it costs money to have ads specifically for the manual transmission, but they could have at least made a remark or a footnote or something. Personally, I did not know the new A4 even had a manual option before seeing it at the dealership. I only went there to look at used B8.5 cars and got lucky that the showroom had one in stock. Even the dealer had no clue it existed and was surprised to see one.

I really love my B9 Audi A4 manual transmission and Audi did a really great job with it. They were even able to integrate auto emergency braking (font/rear), lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, auto start stop, etc with it. The shift quality of the Audi A4 is great. It's my daily driver and I would do anything to keep her forever. I am also hoping to buy more manual transmission Audis in the future. Seeing that the BMW M2 has a 50% take rate for manual transmission here in the US (and even recently announced that it would keep making the manual transmissions thanks to the North American market). Other notable examples include the Golf R, WRX, and Miata, which have super high manual take rates as well. I feel maybe if Audi released a S3 or TT manual transmission here, it would have a high take rate too because that is more of an enthusiast car than the A4 or A5. Even the S4 or S5 with manual transmission would be great too. Audi makes great manual transmissions too, one of the best in the market I feel.

I know a lot of us here own the Audi B9 A4 and A5 manual transmission and love it and would like to do something to help. I found a couple of petitions posted on other forums. Thought I'd share them here. It may be too late for the A4 and A5, but maybe if enough of us sign it could help show Audi that the manual fans would like some manual transmission offering in the US/Canada Audi line up still.

On a sidenote, yes the new DCTs are great and stuff, but a lot of us don't feel the same level of engagement as physically shifting the gear and using our left leg to operate the clutch. Paddles are great, but not as engaging to me.

Here are a few petitions I have come across so far:

https://www.change.org/p/audi-usa-sa...audi-a4-and-a5

https://www.change.org/p/audi-bring-...-manual-to-usa

Veteran Member Four Rings mattlqx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '08 TT 3.2Q Roadster, '17 A3, '13 F-150, '01 Jetta 1.8 Race Car, '04 S4 Supercharged Widebody

Preaching to the choir here. That's why I jumped on an Ultrasport.

This will all be water under the bridge soon* as electric cars will make the discussion of a transmission at all effectively moot.

* 10-20 years probably, but in the grand scheme, that's not far off.
    Tons of Audis, Tons of Mustangs. That's just how I am.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mattlqx View Post
    Preaching to the choir here. That's why I jumped on an Ultrasport.

This will all be water under the bridge soon* as electric cars will make the discussion of a transmission at all effectively moot.

* 10-20 years probably, but in the grand scheme, that's not far off.
    Nice. I'd get an Ultrasport too, but I got this A4 only last year and don't have a lot in hand right now. Would be a great investment though. Maybe buy two and put one on Turo. It'll rent out like crazy for sure!
    Speaking with your wallet is the best way, but I guess sign the petitions too if possible. Let's see how many signatures it can get.

ICE cars...I'll always go for manual. Electric cars...well at least they have their own advantages and no more transmission debates. As long as it's not one of those self driving Bolts without steering wheels and pedals, I'm happy.

But in theory, electric cars could have manual transmissions. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/g...-transmission/
    Like that Gennovation GXE electric corvette.

Active Member Two Rings arnie_r's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by Jim643 View Post
    We know Audi is killing the manual transmission in the A4/A5 2.0T in every market (which sadly kills current Audi manual transmission offerings in the US/Canada as well, since that's the only engine option offered here). They wanted a 10-12% take rate world wide but it was lower than that. Personally, I think they could have hit their mark of 10-12%, at least in North America, if they would have given it more media attention. None of the commercials and online ads for the A4 mentioned the manual transmission. I understand that it costs money to have ads specifically for the manual transmission, but they could have at least made a remark or a footnote or something. Personally, I did not know the new A4 even had a manual option before seeing it at the dealership. I only went there to look at used B8.5 cars and got lucky that the showroom had one in stock. Even the dealer had no clue it existed and was surprised to see one.

I really love my B9 Audi A4 manual transmission and Audi did a really great job with it. They were even able to integrate auto emergency braking (font/rear), lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, auto start stop, etc with it. The shift quality of the Audi A4 is great. It's my daily driver and I would do anything to keep her forever. I am also hoping to buy more manual transmission Audis in the future. Seeing that the BMW M2 has a 50% take rate for manual transmission here in the US (and even recently announced that it would keep making the manual transmissions thanks to the North American market). Other notable examples include the Golf R, WRX, and Miata, which have super high manual take rates as well. I feel maybe if Audi released a S3 or TT manual transmission here, it would have a high take rate too because that is more of an enthusiast car than the A4 or A5. Even the S4 or S5 with manual transmission would be great too. Audi makes great manual transmissions too, one of the best in the market I feel.

I know a lot of us here own the Audi B9 A4 and A5 manual transmission and love it and would like to do something to help. I found a couple of petitions posted on other forums. Thought I'd share them here. It may be too late for the A4 and A5, but maybe if enough of us sign it could help show Audi that the manual fans would like some manual transmission offering in the US/Canada Audi line up still.

On a sidenote, yes the new DCTs are great and stuff, but a lot of us don't feel the same level of engagement as physically shifting the gear and using our left leg to operate the clutch. Paddles are great, but not as engaging to me.

Here are a few petitions I have come across so far:

https://www.change.org/p/audi-usa-sa...audi-a4-and-a5

https://www.change.org/p/audi-bring-...-manual-to-usa
    Thanks for the links to the petitions, signed both of them. Although I do feel most enthusiasts would probably be more interested in buying an S or an RS model in a manual, that just the regular/base A4s. Once you're in an S/RS platform with a manual, it's hard to justify the downgrade to a smaller engine to just to still be able to drive a newer (model year wise) manual with the latest/greatest tech. Just my $0.02, as I have had this dilemma for over a year now. :-)
    2013 B8.5 S4 - 6MT - Sports Differential - Stock