Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

High Mileage D3 Help?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Coming over from the B5 A4 forum, recently got into a high mileage D3 and I have a couple questions about the maintenance.

First, there's a high pitched wining from the engine bay which sounds like a valve. Replaced the PCV and the sound is still there. When I take the oil cap off while running the sound changes pitch but is still there. Just looking for a quick fix if anyone has run into it.

Also, I went to replaced the Passenger CCT the other day an one of the VC bolts is stripped on top (probably why PO only did the driver's side). Tried an EZ out which broke and even tried dremeling a slot for a flat head which was a shot in the dark so I'm not surprised it didn't work so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

This one might sound really dumb but what tool do I need to manually turn over the engine to TDC with the front end in tact.. I did this job on my 1.8 a year ago but I'm not sure how to approach this.

It's not ticking very much but it's starting to give me issues on start-up so I'm looking to get this CCT replaced asap.

TLDR: Wining engine bay sound (Not PCV), Remove VC bolt with stripped head, set TDC without removing front end.
    Last edited by Johns; 08-30-2018 at 06:53 AM.

AZ Member #

No one has any insight? This is the sound btw

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fn1AL1gjogML4Qx76

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Seems like definitely related to the PCV system. Can you run some smoke through the system to check for leaks? How about bypassing portions of the system to isolate what part itís coming from?

AZ Member #

Changed the tensioner out and I think the new one may have been faulty. The top shoe didn't raise when I released the tool so there was slack in the top of the chain, still had 16 links though and I thought 'maybe it just needs oil pressure'.

Started it up and it ran terribly for about 30 seconds, died and now it won't even crank. Threw a series of misfire and bank 2 timing errors. I'm thinking the intake came jumped a tooth or more.. I can't work on the car right now since I'm back at school but will I be ok with replacing the tensioner again and reseting the intake cam at TDC? Or should I be worried about larger damage like bent valves..