Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Hard brake pedal when engine off.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello,
    I am not sure if Iím posting in the correct section, but I was hoping that someone can help out with the issue I am having.
    I have a 2015 Audi S5, and recently started noticing that if I donít start my car for a day or two, the brake pedal gets hard (as if someone was pumping it). When the engine starts, the pedal loosens up and resumes itís normal operation and functions as it should.
    My guess is while the engine is off, the system is slowly losing vacuum somewhere. I brought it to the dealer, and theyíre telling me itís normal. It is driving me insane that they think this is normal! They claim the vacuum pump, brake booster and all lines seem fine and that there are no leaks anywhere. If that is the case, then why does the pedal get rock hard after a couple of days with the car just sitting there? I do not have this issue on my other vehicle, and never experienced anything like this on any other cars Iíve owned.
    Has anyone experienced anything like this? If so, can you please share some info?

Thank you!

Deactivated Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '68 Nova, Subaru Forester

It is absolultey normal. When the engine isn't running and not creating vacuum for the power booster, the brake pedal is going to feel hard after pumping it a couple times.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Casey,
    I understand that it is normal if the brake pedal is pumped. My problem is that the brake pedal is rock hard without me pumping it at all. As soon as I get in the car, if it has been sitting there with the engine off for a day or two, the pedal is hard. This was not happening in the past. I just started noticing it a couple of weeks ago.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Anyone? Any ideas?

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

You might have figured it out by now, but when you apply pressure before starting the engine it is hard, does it go in at all before you start the engine it should not sink in that means you have a leak, it should only go in after you start the car.
    If there is a pressure leak it should also throw a error code.
    My 2 cents is that you are fine.