Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Established Member Two Rings Joshua_RS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi RS5, 2013 Jetta GLi

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Just got to Mexico lol

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Instagram: Joshua_RS5
    2013 Audi RS5 Panther Black Crystal Effect
    • Audi MMI Navigation Plus Package, Driver Assist Package, Titanium Package, Black Optics Kit
    • Armytrix Exhaust
    • Eventuri Intake
    • JHM Tuned
    • Hawk HPS 5.0 Brake Pads
    • ECS Aggressive Wheel Spacer Set (12.5mm Front, 15mm Rear)

Established Member Four Rings Ape Factory's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5/Infiniti QX70S stormtrooper/Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary

It's raining in Mexico too, LOL. But seriously, I've considered a Dragy but there's nowhere flat around here. It's crazy. I drove out to the middle of nowhere a few months back thinking it'd be dead flat. Nope, rolling hills. Grr. Plus I want the time slip. Ultimately, I probably need to switch back to the OEM intakes, run 5w-30 and JHM's exhaust to come close to matching their time.
    Instagram: redmist5 Youtube; https://tinyurl.com/redmistvideos
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red-Klassen ID M10/JHM Tune/AWE Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN/CR-15//ECS SS Brake Lines/Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts, front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts & Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head, tail lights/Maxton splitter/Red Trim Start Button/black emblems/VCDS.

Senior Member Three Rings BuyTheWarranty's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5

I am currently in Mexico .... but on vacation :p

The revised Stage 1 map seems much better overall (smoother power delivery) with a small performance bump over the previous software. Having said that, I only drove it 3 times before parking and Itís not being reflected in my 1/4 times however. I donít think anyone here is going to get anything close to JHMs time (my best being 12.46). Not sure how theyíve beat everyone by almost half a second with similar 60 foot times. Itís either their elevation or theyíre running a different map/TCU tune.

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Jake@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MK7-GTI-APR-STG2-Grand-Cherokee-R6-Raven-IRON-1250

We have our Lightweight Front + Rear rotors on the car as well. A reduction in rotating mass helps.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jake@JHM View Post
    We have our Lightweight Front + Rear rotors on the car as well. A reduction in rotating mass helps.
    Yes but I have ceramic fronts and lighter forged wheels all around:) Maybe it'll equal out the exhaust, LOL. Are you guys running 5w-30 or 5w-40? I can't seem to find Motul Specific in 5w-30 anywhere including JHM. It's listed on Motul's site but doesn't seem to be available, easily, stateside.
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red-Klassen ID M10/JHM Tune/AWE Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN/CR-15//ECS SS Brake Lines/Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts, front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts & Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head, tail lights/Maxton splitter/Red Trim Start Button/black emblems/VCDS.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ape Factory View Post
    Yes but I have ceramic fronts and lighter forged wheels all around:) Maybe it'll equal out the exhaust, LOL. Are you guys running 5w-30 or 5w-40? I can't seem to find Motul Specific in 5w-30 anywhere including JHM. It's listed on Motul's site but doesn't seem to be available, easily, stateside.

That's a good question, I think its 5w40 but I will check

Veteran Member Four Rings Beast's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C63s | GLE63s

Quote Originally Posted by BuyTheWarranty View Post
    I am currently in Mexico .... but on vacation :p

The revised Stage 1 map seems much better overall (smoother power delivery) with a small performance bump over the previous software. Having said that, I only drove it 3 times before parking and Itís not being reflected in my 1/4 times however. I donít think anyone here is going to get anything close to JHMs time (my best being 12.46). Not sure how theyíve beat everyone by almost half a second with similar 60 foot times. Itís either their elevation or theyíre running a different map/TCU tune.
    19' C63S Coupe //AMG | Magno Graphite | Carbon Optics | Aero

Past: 2015 Audi []RS5 | 2012 Audi A5

IG @C63sz

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5

I have light weight wheels which are 7.5lbs lighter per wheel than stock almost 30lbs of unsparing mass total) which is lighter than the brake system so I donít think thatís it!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

We also get the tires warm by doing a couple launches before the pass as well. Definitely helps the 60ft but that may depend on tire compound as well because everyone is probably running something different.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5

Thought I'd check in since my car is parked for the winter ;)

Anyone get any sub 4.0 second 0-60 times or sub 12 second 1/4 mile times yet with the cooler weather with JHM? I have a feeling the 11.96 time was running a TCU update, as their 0-60 time of 3.79 seconds is practically unheard of.

Was chatting with a buddy with the VelocityAP tune (who previously claimed a 29AWHP gain ... which seems they were right) and he was able to consistently get 12-12.1 times and sub 4.0 second 0-60 times with a Milltek exhaust:

Established Member Two Rings Mr.Jones18's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Haven't had any issues with the higher redline yet. Once we've finished with the TCU software we can start developing the Stage 2 to see how much more we can get out of the car NA.
    Not sure if I missed it but has the thought of playing around with blending e85 come up with the development for Stage 2? Cooler IATs and advanced timing should be worth something I would think. New the the NA motors so not sure if the benefits still apply but simply adding four gallons of e85 and filling the rest with 91 made my b8 s4 a completely different animal even when just on APRs 93 file.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

From what I understand, there are no plans for E85 maps. I wish there were as there are gains to be had.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Thought I'd check in since my car is parked for the winter ;)

Anyone get any sub 4.0 second 0-60 times or sub 12 second 1/4 mile times yet with the cooler weather with JHM? I have a feeling the 11.96 time was running a TCU update, as their 0-60 time of 3.79 seconds is practically unheard of.

Was chatting with a buddy with the VelocityAP tune (who previously claimed a 29AWHP gain ... which seems they were right) and he was able to consistently get 12-12.1 times and sub 4.0 second 0-60 times with a Milltek exhaust:

So what say you those with the JHM? Anyone try both?
    2013 RS5, 2014 Q7

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5

So far I have the best time out of anyone with the JHM tune (12.46) that Iím aware of. This was with Dragy, not at the track in 10 degree weather and Iím at about 1200 feet above sea level and have their exhaust system with lighter wheels. It appears the Velocity setup offers a bit more consistency, not sure whether itís ďsaferĒ as Michaels logs showed, the car was pulling timing under heat soak, losing about 10AWHP with JHM.

Again, only person Iíve seen with times close to JHMs were APRs original and the one I linked above.

AZ Member #

So far I have the best time out of anyone with the JHM tune (12.46) that Iím aware of. This was with Dragy, not at the track in 10 degree weather and Iím at about 1200 feet above sea level and have their exhaust system with lighter wheels. It appears the Velocity setup offers a bit more consistency, not sure whether itís ďsaferĒ as Michaels logs showed, the car was pulling timing under heat soak, losing about 10AWHP with JHM.

Again, only person Iíve seen with times close to JHMs were APRs original and the one I linked above.
    And when you refer to Velocity tune, youre saying the VelocityAP tune? I dont see much in the way of people posting about it? So with the JHM tune pulling timing would one say the APR one is safer to have? Anyone tried APR and one of the others? Curious if one would find it to be worth it? Wish APR had a tcu tune as well.
    2013 RS5, 2014 Q7

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnp614 View Post
    And when you refer to Velocity tune, youre saying the VelocityAP tune? I dont see much in the way of people posting about it? So with the JHM tune pulling timing would one say the APR one is safer to have? Anyone tried APR and one of the others? Curious if one would find it to be worth it? Wish APR had a tcu tune as well.
    There is nothing unsafe about our software.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

The APR tune is a complete waste of time. Also pulling timing is part of the active safety feature that JHM does not disable. So if anything, it shows their tune is safe. That was my car and those logs were done in a very hot summer climate.

Established Member Two Rings tma5091's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I had the APR tune and it was only really usable with race gas and even then it wasnít significant. Since I changed to the JHM tune, I feel it is definitely faster and on 91 octane. The price I payed for the tune will be made up in gas savings after a couple of weekend track events.
    Eagerly awaiting stage 2 and TCU tune .... Jake

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tma5091 View Post
    I had the APR tune and it was only really usable with race gas and even then it wasnít significant. Since I changed to the JHM tune, I feel it is definitely faster and on 91 octane. The price I payed for the tune will be made up in gas savings after a couple of weekend track events.
    Eagerly awaiting stage 2 and TCU tune .... Jake

Good to know guys! Appreciate the feedback (and Iím sure JHM does too).
    2013 RS5, 2014 Q7

Established Member Two Rings midam96's Avatar
    AZ Member #

JHM¬ís tune Is available now but back in 2013 I installed an SKN stage 2 Tuning ( German firm) had a package out with Milltek and loved it. That was a 93 octane ¬ďhappy slot¬Ē 91 octane and the engine didn¬ít perform as well.
    The rs5 is shipped to USA essentially a hobbled thoroughbred the Mild tunes SKN and probably JHM make it more of a 3 legged Thoroughbred which still allows for outstanding use as a daily driver. I lost the ECU due to internal issues unrelated to tune.
    I’m reading this thread and really wanting JHM to be the USA rep for SKN. Seems like a potential opportunity for performance part auto entrepreneurs. SKN has no USA outlet and yet sees most engines, models at same or earlier than we do along with having their mods Government registered. JHM , near term at least strong dollar.
    Sending an ECU to SKN from Texas has its challenges mainly with customs and VAT tax it gets rectified but adds 4-5 days in transit.
    Be much easier to send it to JHM have them program and return. I absolutely think all rs5¬ís Need software programming changed cause i¬íd Bet 100% of the people who bought their rs5 were not purchasing on account of getting under either gas guzzlers tax or helping achieve a cafe rating. We knew their diesel ingenuity would get them there 😉.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I know SKN was (is) advertising a 50hp gain and I think you'll have the same with JHM's stage 2. There's really no incentive for JHM to carry SKN since they're doing their own in-house tune that's most likely just as good or better and you can flash at home. Much easier than removing the ECU and sending it somewhere.

I run 93 octane all the time even though it's a 91 octane map because, well you know, Texas. 93 octane is pretty much ubiquitous here. And cheap! I paid $2.09/gallon the last time I filled up.

But I do agree every RS5 needs a tune. Really makes a difference you can feel day in and day out.

AZ Member #

I certainly am not anti JHM my only reasoning would be SKNís head start from 2010 release of rs5 n Europe. I was reading thru the thread and I havenít gotten thru entire number of posts what I have read indicates the learning curve JHM has/is experiencing. That work has already been done. I donít really expect JHM to represent SKN but if they did itíd be a coup here in the USA as SKN does much more than Audi.
    I completely agree that itís a pita to send an ECU anywhere. Itís temporary but 93 octane is cheap Texas and Illinois have readily available as I travel thru Oklahoma and Missouri (ZX gas is 93) my car runs differently until I feed it spinach (93 oct).

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5

SKN claimed 50hp and I agree with Michael that weíll probably see a +- 50AWHP gain with stage 2 (maybe even more), since weíre already at a 26-30 all wheel horsepower gain depending on octane with their Stage 1 map and no DSG updates. SKNs tune also doesnít remap the transmission from what I understand as part of the default Stage 2 tune (though they have something available).

EDIT - From reading this, it looks like they either deleted the cats, or added high flow cats alongside the Milltek exhaust: https://www.topspeed.com/cars/audi/2...g-ar95604.html to achieve the 50+ hp number.

JHMs map is designed for 91 and up, Michael is using 93 and Iím using 94, however both contain up to 10% ethanol. I would be curious what sort of gains people get with true 93 octane with no additives.
    Last edited by BuyTheWarranty; 01-19-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Bought my RS5 from carmax with a 5 year 100K mile warranty. I'm interested in the the tune but want to make sure there is a way to revert back to stock form easily if taking the car to the Audi Dealership for service/issues?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5

Quote Originally Posted by WannaRS5 View Post
    Bought my RS5 from carmax with a 5 year 100K mile warranty. I'm interested in the the tune but want to make sure there is a way to revert back to stock form easily if taking the car to the Audi Dealership for service/issues?
    100% can revert back to a stock ďJHM fileĒ that has all the OEM parameters. You do need to reflash the car to do this. I had service done to my car last year and didnít bother flashing back and everything was fine, but if it was something major I would flash back to stock parameters.

My only question would be if they looked into it, they could see how many times the ECU had been flashed and might ask questions, maybe others can speak to that ...

AZ Member #

did any of ya’ll have an issue with using ur adaptive cruise control stalk to handle the JHM task ? I’m very intrigued by JHM’ s upcoming transmission software advancement. JHM’s willingness to interact with a forum is very attractive and I thank them.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5

I don't have adaptive cruise control, but I did load the '2 maps' on my remap, so I currently have the JHM Stage 1 map, and the 'stock' parameters. I can switch between them using the cruise control 'map switching'. I only tried it once, and it worked. As I mentioned earlier somewhere, the car didn't run very good when I switched over to the 'stock parameter' map, but I only drove it for about 3 minutes as I wanted to see the power difference (which was noticeable between Stage 1 and 'stock). I figure I hadn't given it enough time to adapt, but I don't know as I seem to be the only one who's tried it so far.

Agreed that it's great that JHM is active with their clients and on the forum, though, it can be a double edged sword at times ...

AZ Member #

You¬íre spot on. SKN stage affects shift points thru ECU so JHM is attempting to reshape parameters of what Audi programs in as ¬ď not to exceed ¬ď within the software of dct. That is fascinating and seems imminently possible having succeeded where does JHM hope to get?
    Seems like best possible scenario is JHM Stage 2 software, dct software , JHM should have input as to both intake and exhaust to match and maximize their work. Think you could squeeze up to maybe 510 hp and 365 tq. It all helps with still imo most important the daily driveablity being more fun in an already fun car. I know a Prius can still run me down to 45 mph :) but I still going on 6 years love driving a tuned rs5.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5

JHM from what I can see have never done any intake work on their B8 platforms, but they had mentioned possibly working on an intake upgrade? From what I read, most people use drop in high flow air filters (K&N) but it doesnít seem to do much for power. Then again, all the information on those are from years ago.

If they're able to get +-50 horsepower from the Stage 2 Tune and DSG upgrade alone that would be impressive, as it would rival SKN's car from 10 years ago, and that had the cats removed/replaced + exhaust (with factory DSG software). I'm not sure how they were able to get so much power without adjusting the TCU, as that's the 'secret' for 'real power' according to JHM.

I already have their 2.75Ē exhaust, Stage 1 Tune, lighter wheels and low mileage (47,000kms) and while I 100% feel the added power, in daily driving, itís not really showing up on my 1/4 times, but I feel that has to do mostly with my 60 foot times. I need to get a bit more wheel spin on the launch... but canít seem to master it.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by WannaRS5 View Post
    My guess is that they wont report anything to carmax as they want the money for the work and know youíre happier if someone else is paying for it.
    2013 RS5, 2014 Q7

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C63s | GLE63s

JHM from what I can see have never done any intake work on their B8 platforms, but they had mentioned possibly working on an intake upgrade? From what I read, most people use drop in high flow air filters (K&N) but it doesnít seem to do much for power. Then again, all the information on those are from years ago.

If they're able to get +-50 horsepower from the Stage 2 Tune and DSG upgrade alone that would be impressive, as it would rival SKN's car from 10 years ago, and that had the cats removed/replaced + exhaust (with factory DSG software). I'm not sure how they were able to get so much power without adjusting the TCU, as that's the 'secret' for 'real power' according to JHM.

I already have their 2.75Ē exhaust, Stage 1 Tune, lighter wheels and low mileage (47,000kms) and while I 100% feel the added power, in daily driving, itís not really showing up on my 1/4 times, but I feel that has to do mostly with my 60 foot times. I need to get a bit more wheel spin on the launch... but canít seem to master it.
    you will not get +50HP with a TCU tune or stage 2 on a NA V8 Engine...... What changes will they make for a "Stage 2" tune? Unless you decat and then create a Stage 2 tune to compensate for the lack of cats and increased air flow, then 50 HP is MAY be possible.

A TCU tune alone, is meant to allow the transmission to hold higher torque levels, and quicken the shifts. How will you gain HP? The DCT transmission is already delicate as is. Many RS5 owners have had failures on STOCK TCU tunes, why increase the risk with a TCU tune?
    Last edited by Beast; 01-19-2019 at 01:13 PM.

IG @C63sz

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

When is stage 2 along with the TCU tune coming out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5

SKN was able to do it. Having said that, they did modify the cats.

JHM was able to shave off .8 seconds on the B8 S5 with their exhaust, tune and piggy pipes (their time is about as good as I and many others can muster the RS5) so itís likely to see 50hp IMO:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vD0M3yE2W0o

I guess we will see.

AZ Member #

If Audi de tuned the 4.2 liter to get under gas tax and be a part of cafe totals and still advertise 450 hp it doesnít seem unreasonable to attain an 11% increase thru Tuning, intake/exhaust. JMO

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    you will not get +50HP with a TCU tune or stage 2 on a NA V8 Engine...... What changes will they even make for a "Stage 2" tune? Unless you decat and then create a Stage 2 tune to compensate for the lack of cats and increased air flow, then 50 HP is MAY be possible.

A TCU tune alone, is meant to allow the transmission to hold higher torque levels, and quicken the shifts. How will you gain HP? The DCT transmission is already delicate as is. Many RS5 owners have had failures on STOCK TCU tunes, why increase the risk with a TCU tune?
    Stage 1 is already worth 25-30hp. I need to go back to the local dyno and make another run now that I'm carbon cleaned and it's not 106 degrees outside. I suspect I'll see higher gains. I also suspect the transmission tune has more to do with optimizing the power delivery (via the clutches) and safeguarding the transmission from too much clutch slip as well as thermal management. What you'll end up doing is increasing the time the transmission transfers all the engine power to the wheels. With the OEM TCU tune, I suspect we're loosing a bit of acceleration due to the less than optimal clutch and shift management at the new power level.

Most of the failures on the transmission were mechatronic related where the circuit board would overheat due to poor design. The replacement and updated version of the mechatronic is beefier with a larger heat sink and better thermal management. Most 2013+ cars have the updated mechatronic. Other than that, the gearbox itself is actually designed for 800Nm of torque and 10,000rpm. That's the edge torque-wise for the OEM clutch discs. That isn't to say other little things haven't failed or the mechatronic itself hasn't gone out on some cars. It happens as it's a complex mechanical part. But we only hear when things break and there are a LOT of DL501's out there as it comes in numerous cars, S4, S5, S6, Macan, Q5, etc...I think the early failures on 2012 and earlier cars was the same, hence why the circuit board is now available as a separate part.

A TCU tune would actually help improve a few things including reliability. When I was conversing with TVS about their TCU tune, one of the things they mentioned was better thermal management as part of the tune. With this, they did not feel an external cooler was necessary and the OEM heat exchanger was good enough. In addition to improved thermal management, the internal hydraulic pressure is raised a bit which increases clamping pressure on the disks and I'm guessing, speeds up shifting a bit. Modifying the programming and altering the transition between gears as well as clutch take up also has benefits.

And again, if you look at what the R8 to the R8 Plus gains, per cylinder, just from a tune, 50hp from a tune is entirely plausible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sftuner View Post
    When is stage 2 along with the TCU tune coming out?

They haven't said when but most likely this summer.

AZ Member #

IMG_8339.jpg
    My best to date. Still not launching great. No wheel spin or even close. I think with a proper start, I could be really close to JHM time

Established Member Two Rings Spyman777's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What app are you using?

AWE Track Exhaust|AWE Downpipes|20x10 Avante Garde M310|StopTech|Eurocharge Tune...a sprinkle of JHM.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Spyman777 View Post
    What app are you using?

Dragy.Image1547939680.121830.jpg

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C63s | GLE63s

Quote Originally Posted by Ape Factory View Post
    Stage 1 is already worth 25-30hp. I need to go back to the local dyno and make another run now that I'm carbon cleaned and it's not 106 degrees outside. I suspect I'll see higher gains. I also suspect the transmission tune has more to do with optimizing the power delivery (via the clutches) and safeguarding the transmission from too much clutch slip as well as thermal management. What you'll end up doing is increasing the time the transmission transfers all the engine power to the wheels. With the OEM TCU tune, I suspect we're loosing a bit of acceleration due to the less than optimal clutch and shift management at the new power level.

Most of the failures on the transmission were mechatronic related where the circuit board would overheat due to poor design. The replacement and updated version of the mechatronic is beefier with a larger heat sink and better thermal management. Most 2013+ cars have the updated mechatronic. Other than that, the gearbox itself is actually designed for 800Nm of torque and 10,000rpm. That's the edge torque-wise for the OEM clutch discs. That isn't to say other little things haven't failed or the mechatronic itself hasn't gone out on some cars. It happens as it's a complex mechanical part. But we only hear when things break and there are a LOT of DL501's out there as it comes in numerous cars, S4, S5, S6, Macan, Q5, etc...I think the early failures on 2012 and earlier cars was the same, hence why the circuit board is now available as a separate part.

A TCU tune would actually help improve a few things including reliability. When I was conversing with TVS about their TCU tune, one of the things they mentioned was better thermal management as part of the tune. With this, they did not feel an external cooler was necessary and the OEM heat exchanger was good enough. In addition to improved thermal management, the internal hydraulic pressure is raised a bit which increases clamping pressure on the disks and I'm guessing, speeds up shifting a bit. Modifying the programming and altering the transition between gears as well as clutch take up also has benefits.

And again, if you look at what the R8 to the R8 Plus gains, per cylinder, just from a tune, 50hp from a tune is entirely plausible.

- - - Updated - - -

They haven't said when but most likely this summer.
    #RS5GOD APE

Makes sense definitely, I am looking forward to seeing your further testing and #s in the future.
    Last edited by Beast; 01-20-2019 at 04:26 PM.

IG @C63sz

Established Member Two Rings Spyman777's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tma5091 View Post
    Dragy.Image1547939680.121830.jpg

Thanks.!!

AWE Track Exhaust|AWE Downpipes|20x10 Avante Garde M310|StopTech|Eurocharge Tune...a sprinkle of JHM.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast