Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings thomastollar's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    single speed

not sure what to call it except....problem.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have a problem that I am having a hard time pinpointing.

A few days ago I was sitting in my driveway getting ready to leave, car in 1st gear, clutch in, not paying much attention, organizing a few things and putting on music, when I accidentally popped the clutch without thinking. I then restart the car and as I am pulling out I notice there is more vibration and exhaust sound than usual. I am not sure if this was something coming on, or if the stall caused it, but had driven the day before without any of this.

The car has:

- noticeably more vibration while revving and at idle (checked for visible exhaust leak and found nothing).

- reduced power (I have not pushed it much at all, but it is not difficult to feel)

- boost gauge is reading -20 at idle where it normally idles at -18 (did a boost leak test and found no leaks)

- Ran VagCom (no codes)

Any Ideas? Thanks
    just enough to want more

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA
    Items for Sale

Check your motor mounts and your snub mount bushing. You may have damaged one of the mounts when you dumped the clutch.

Start your car and let it idle. Use some rags to restrict the exhaust as much as you can while someone else listens for exhaust leaks under the hood. An alternative is to lay on your back behind the car and use your feet (preferable with shoes on ;-) to temporarily plug the exhaust as your compadre listens for leaks.

Good luck!
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    single speed

Thanks OG,

will try the exhaust suggestion first thing tomorrow.

Would a broken mount cause the engine to feel like its lagging?
    just enough to want more

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by thomastollar View Post
    Thanks OG,

will try the exhaust suggestion first thing tomorrow.

Would a broken mount cause the engine to feel like its lagging?
    I wouldn't think so. A loose/split boost hose would but you should have seen that when you performed a boost pressure test.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

You can also use seafoam suctioned into the intake manifold to check for exhaust leaks. Smoke will come out wherever there is a leak. Also -20in/hg is healthier than -18in/hg.

I would also inspect all bolts/belts and pulleys to engine accessories. If you can produce vibrations at idle with revs, possibly you knocked something loose. Have someone rev the car while you inspect the engine bay. Maybe you can get lucky and hear where the vibration is coming from, or at least close vicinity to it.
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like a bitch

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I think it's the dual mass flywheel.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings jj94tt's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by caluma4x4 View Post
    I think it's the dual mass flywheel.
    I second this opinion... unless you have converted to single mass or you know that the flywheel has been replaced. Mileage?

The flywheel going bad should not rob power itself, but it will make the power not as smooth. Exhaust... who knows.
    2005 A4 B6 3.0L USP Ocean Blue

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    single speed

Thanks all.

I am going to start looking into these suggestions...much appreciated.

Hoping it is not the flywheel, but have never done any tranny work so would be a good learning experience.

The car has 115000. PO did have paperwork on a new OEM tranny at 90. I am going to start with the exhaust and engine mount and will update as soon as I find something.
    just enough to want more