Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Specific turbo question

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    All,

1) anyone running a t3/t04e 50trim have heat issues/Chra failures?

2) HTA2871R- can you buy a turbo already setup with the new wheel?

Alternative options welcome

350whp+
    Stock displacement
    8k max (7500 possibly)
    T3 turbo with good torque in the 4-4500 range, simple and under $1000 (is possible)
    Ewg an Non-water cooled if possible

Itís all about funds funds funds, I cannot justify stroker/efr type money for this round.

Cheers,

Veteran Member Three Rings Rodgman15's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Just get a Holset. It's cheap off the bat, it's cheap to rebuild, and they take tons of abuse. HE351/HY35 oughta get you there.

Hit up Tim's Turbos. He'll hook you up.

AZ Member #

I was leaning toward an HY, Iíve read the holsets have great transient response. Iíve had really bad luck in my searching, from what Iíve read itís the 01-02 Cummins AUTO so itís almost 20 years later and a subset of a model run for 2 years.

Iíll keep my fingers crossed. Has anyone had success with the HE351 regarding drivability?

Senior Member Four Rings thedanplasse's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 1.8tqm Avant, B6 1.8tqm Avant.

I just sold an HX35 only because my power goals outgrew what that Holset could flow. I ended up buying a PTE6266.
    Santorin Avant Project
    Atlas Avant Daily

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Iím looking to do the same thing but with a holset hx 30 tho I think itís gonnabe less laggy plus 350 hp? If your on stock internals like me Iíd be nervous about bending rods but yea thatís my plan for this winter Iíll tune to 310 tops just to have some piece of Mind with it

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The T04E 50 trim was a very popular turbo back in the days. Cheap and got the job done rather simple for those looking for 350whp. And I'm not sure of anybody on this forum board ever having heat issues from any of their turbo apps, unless they were blown (or on their way out). B5 S4 guys need to keep their EGTs in check, but A4 guys don't seem to have any issues related to heat. With that being said, I also don't know any A4 guys who monitored their EGTs. No real reason to. If things start getting hot, you have your oil temp gauge that will raise (usually should be 215-225*F). Below is a link to a video of an old forum member (Oceanside) that pegged the speedo on his 50 trim.

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...MTE0Mg==/?ref= (can't get the video to work on my desktop for some oddball reason, but this is the link to the vid)

With turbo tech these days, you should be able to get billet wheeled compressor wheel turbos for fairly cheap if journal bearing. Just research credible companies. I run a Competition Turbo 5152 (ball bearing), and they sell journal bearing turbochargers in your price range (I would not suggest this company though). Or you can even try something like pick up a 50 trim and have a company that does upgraded compressor wheels work their magic. You have more options than a 50 trim, like the Precision Turbo line up for example.

The tq you are looking for I would think would be found more in the tune than anything. And as far as rev limit, I have my rev limiter set to 7.7k RPM. This is stock block, minus forged rods (AWM block, AEB pistons, Brute rods). I don't rev that high, but have my safety cushion there and usually shift around the 7k RPM area when pushing it. Person (forum board member) who tuned my car used to be the in-house tuner for a company I am not a fan of and he tuned a fair amount of vehicles to know the limits. So the 7.7k may seem high for the stock head, but I pushed it past 7k many times (had my car over 150mph before).
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like a bitch

AZ Member #

Thats exactly what im looking for, so what would you recommend? I just havent kept up with the new generation of turbo. it looks like the 6758 is the best choice, but believe it or not I want to run the turbosmart 2 stage MBC and keep it simple, Im not sure that makes sense as I read the EFR comes with an N75. I do like the idea of the built in diverter, but question my faith (my thoughts with EWG is most serviceable in place, which is what im trying to maximize here)

I can get a brand new genuine garret T3/T4 for $756 from full race....it says its a stage 3 wheel, I believe thats the billet wheel (76 trim), the one I want correct?

Also, Isnt it the stock plenum causing compressor surge with the 57/60? Id almost prefer the 57 trim at a .48/.63 A/R. In regards to A/R, is the .63 the first one to breathe? I was reading a .48 guy was complaining of losing breathe at 6500 RPM
    Last edited by Fasterd; 08-15-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings GrapeBandit's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I think your biggest problem will be finding ALL of these parts locally since you only deal in rolled coins
    CASABLANCA B5 1.8t
    BRILLIANT YELLOW B5 30V

PCV? Just dump it on the ground!
    click-> Buy My Wheels!<-click

Senior Member Four Rings thedanplasse's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 1.8tqm Avant, B6 1.8tqm Avant.

I'd stroll through some of the OG guys build threads. See what other people are doing. But building a BT or BAT 1.8t isnt the cheapest thing to do. My budget is wayyyyy over than what I thought it would be.
    Santorin Avant Project
    Atlas Avant Daily

AZ Member #

This isnt my first, or first 058. I just havent followed offerings, my hayday was the 3076, after the T3/T4 craze

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If I could do it all over again, I would do a Pag Parts EFR kit and never look back. His manifold is one of, if not the best on the market for a while now. Some things are worth the initial cost, to save on later cost. For example, I am currently on my third setup. Hence, the do the Pag Parts EFR and never look back.

You really need to set a budget, and then options can become more clear. There are many routes to take, but you can't really beat the EFR turbo. People were skeptical at first when they came out, but they have proven efficient. Having a turbo that can grant you 20+psi boost on 1.8L of displacement before 3500rpm is pretty amazing when it comes to our platform. Even more if you increase displacement. But all this comes at a price, and not sure on your budget considering supporting mods is what really gets your pockets slim.

Rule of thumb on our car (not counting EFR) is .63 A/R for the street, .82 A/R for track., and .48 A/R is simply a no go. Turbocharger choice is really yours, and you basically just want to run something with a credible track record. I am the type to try something different that usually ends up costing me in the long run, but when it works it is a self satisfaction in the end result that money can't buy (well, you know what I mean).
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like a bitch

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeBandit View Post
    I think your biggest problem will be finding ALL of these parts locally since you only deal in rolled coins
    True, but Iím creative and Iím 20 minutes from AWE and Ross tech, as well as an hour from Europa parts who does pickup.

I do cc as well, so new parts arenít a problem, stop busting my grapes

AZ Member #

I say that to show my area is Audi heavy, plenty of people selling shit.

I realize what the first two do, and am aware what Vcds is as well as the fact awe no longer supports us because were too poor for them (no need to bust my grapes more)

^^^ damn thatís not funny anymore

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Fasterd where you from? Iím half hour from AWE. Bristol borough

AZ Member #

I went to St. Anns, im up in the Yardley area now.