Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

What is going on here?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Both turbo intakes have rust around the connections. What's happening/happened and should I be concerned?

20180811_164956.jpeg20180811_165013.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Audizine mobile app
    Last edited by S6_So_Pissed; 08-11-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Active Member Two Rings Joe'sS6's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S6_So_Pissed View Post
    Both turbo intakes have rust around the connections. What's happening/happened and should I be concerned?

20180811_164956.jpeg20180811_165013.jpeg

I wouldn't be concerned, just clean it up with RustOff or similar and check later on.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Audizine mobile app
    2016 S6, Tornado Grey / Black Alcantara, EPL ECU+TCM S1 Tunes, 50% Ceramic Tint.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You can see similar results in the pics in this thread. Seems pretty normal for these.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks for the replies, gents.

AZ Member #

I wonder if the high compression of the turbos condenses moisture out of the air

AZ Member #

Its actually not so complicated, it's typical of iron or cast iron.. Same thing happens to brake rotors.. It's just the reaction of water/moisture and iron together... Can't see it ever causing issues other than looking ugly..
    Current Line-Up:
    2015 Audi S6 - RS7 Turbos, "Mike's" Catted Downpipes, SRM Intake, APR ECU & TCU, AMS Cooling System, H&R Module, 20 x 9 et38 & 21lbs each, 15% Ceramic Tint Front & Back, Xpel Ultimate (Full Front end, rockers, mirrors, door cups, B-Pillars), Opti-Coat Pro
    2012 VW Golf R - APR in-house build Stage 4
    2002 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster - Big Turbo
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed - Just Bolt-Ons
    2008 Kawaski ZX-10R - Kawi Green

AZ Member #

If my theory is correct OP lives in a place with relatively high humidity and someone who doesn't have this issue lives somewhere with low humidity

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Houston, TX. So yeah, humidity. I know ALL about humidity. In fact, it's 93 degrees right now with a heat index of 108.

Just so I get this straight, you're telling me it is SO humid in Houston that my turbos are weeping rust? Poor guys.

AZ Member #

Houston, TX. So yeah, humidity. I know ALL about humidity. In fact, it's 93 degrees right now with a heat index of 108.

Just so I get this straight, you're telling me it is SO humid in Houston that my turbos are weeping rust? Poor guys.
    Just a speculation of mine. Based on the high compression and humidity level and location I think it is very likely.

I know all about that Texas heat - I used to live in Dallas

AZ Member #

You may be able to put some rust preventative on there

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by NickLim View Post
    I wonder if the high compression of the turbos condenses moisture out of the air
    Just a speculation of mine. Based on the high compression and humidity level and location I think it is very likely.
    It has nothing at all to do with compression. Put humidity and/or moisture together with cast iron, you will get rust. That simple..
    Current Line-Up:
    2015 Audi S6 - RS7 Turbos, "Mike's" Catted Downpipes, SRM Intake, APR ECU & TCU, AMS Cooling System, H&R Module, 20 x 9 et38 & 21lbs each, 15% Ceramic Tint Front & Back, Xpel Ultimate (Full Front end, rockers, mirrors, door cups, B-Pillars), Opti-Coat Pro

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

An interesting observation is that the rust is more or less limited to the connection points. If it was a matter of simple humidity + iron, then wouldn't it be be everywhere?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 15 Phantom S6 View Post
    It has nothing at all to do with compression. Put humidity and/or moisture together with cast iron, you will get rust. That simple..
    I think that's 100% false.

Under your theory every thing cast iron on the car should be equally rusted.

Also humidity means moisture is within the air.

Compression will squeeze water out of the air - do you know what a dehumidified or A/C even does?

- - - Updated - - -

An interesting observation is that the rust is more or less limited to the connection points. If it was a matter of simple humidity + iron, then wouldn't it be be everywhere?

Exactly

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

This might be the first time Iíve ever heard compression blamed for rust on cast iron. Lol

Carry on, please. Iíd like to see where this goes.

AZ Member #

I think that's 100% false.

Under your theory every thing cast iron on the car should be equally rusted.

Also humidity means moisture is within the air.

Compression will squeeze water out of the air - do you know what a dehumidified or A/C even does?
    No, I never said anything about everything cast iron on the car rusting equally, not sure where that came from. Cast iron will rust from humidity and moisture is what I stated, and that is 100% true. Not sure how that could be 100% false...

There isn't alot of cast iron on our cars, but if any of it is exposed to moisture, it will rust (unless treated specially with something).. If I put my cast iron frying pan outside in the humidity, it will rust maybe unevenly, so what. no different than if I put some water in the pan, it will rust quicker where the water/moisture made contact with the pan, not equally all over.. It will all rust eventually if fully exposed to the moisture/air.. Not sure how you can dispute that, its a fact.

I think you are confusing air conditioners condensing air and pulling out water, turbos don't do that, they "compress" air not "condense" it...

If your theory was correct, where is the water being displaced that the turbo "condenses"?

Also, your theory of high compression squeezing out water, that would mean that the RS7 turbos would rust more than the S6/S7 turbos, since RS7's run higher compression.. Does that make any sense??

If you look at the thread posted up above speaking to this issue, do you think the guy with a rusted center turbo section on a 2018 car with 900 miles on it with considerable rust on the center section "condensed" more air than guys with 50K+ miles that have center turbo sections with minimal rust?

An to answer your last question, yes I do know what a dehumidified or A/C even does, but what's that got to do with rust on turbo center sections??
    Last edited by 15 Phantom S6; Yesterday at 06:20 AM.
    Current Line-Up:

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I appreciate the dialogue. I really do. If I knew what the issue was, I wouldn't have come here, so I am just seeking to further understand.

That being said, if we assume that it is simply cast iron rusting from moisture, the question still reamins to me on how it accumulates in those specific areas (connection points). It sounds like Phantom is suggesting it is coming from the outside/amient air. While I agree with your example about moister collecting on your frying pan and that all make sense. I am not not connecting how the moisture gets on those connection points, but I might have a theory...

Nick, with all due respect, I don't think I follow your compressed air theory. I just might have missed something. At the rust points in the pic the air isn't compressed yet. It is basically right before it enters the turbo to be compressed.
    The only thing I might offer is that MAYBE the temp of the intake (metal) is cooler than the turbo and with the rediculous humidity in Houston, that creates a temp variation between the two points that hits the dew point and the moisture in the outside air condesates and collects at those points, thus creating the opportunity for rust? I am bro sciencing the hell out of this one, I know.

At any rate, at this point I feel better about it in that it doesn't appear to be a sign of something more problematic, which I was initially worried about.

AZ Member #

My main concern is I know for a fact that it has to do with the compression or vacuum of the turbos in some way because that rust distribution I can tell you right now is not random.

We can debate the cause but it is simply not due to just being humidity in the air.

It is solely at the connection points....

How about the reverse of my original theory. If air experiences vacuum (i.e: the other end of the compressor) it will drop temperature substantially. Is it possible this temperature drop on high conductivity metal will actually condensate some moisture out of the air that is super saturated from the hot engine bay temperature. (Hot air holds more water)

AZ Member #

I too enjoy the dialogue, I'll go deeper than my high level moisture/humidity + cast iron = Rust response...

In my opinion, the heat generated from the oil and coolant lines are contributing to a temperature difference around the coolant and turbo line area of the turbo center section, hence creating condensation by the lines that rusts..

Similar situation like when you have a cup of something cold in the heat, the cup will generate condensation. So in our cases, if the turbo center section is ambient temperature and the lines are super hot, the delta in temperature could cause condensation and then the next stage is rust. Since the coolant and oil lines reside only in a particular area of the turbo center section, it develops greater condensation in that area which in turn would generate more rust than other areas of the turbo center section. Kind of like my previous example of putting water on the frying pan..
    Current Line-Up:

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 15 Phantom S6 View Post
    ...In my opinion, the heat generated from the oil and coolant lines are contributing to a temperature difference around the coolant and turbo line area of the turbo center section, hence creating condensation by the lines that rusts..
    I get that part, I was speaking specifically about the rust on intake.

Weeping Rust.jpg

AZ Member #

That's normal and nothing to worry about.. Itís from the material used to fuse the tubes together. Picture makes it look different than in person, but it looks like copper, similar color to rust. Picture is of a brand new never used RS7 turbo inlet I pulled out of the box to see..
    Attached Images
    Current Line-Up:

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thank you, sir. That's what I was looking for.