Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Active Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Right, it's alarming. It's coming out so fast it makes me worry that there was hydrolock-induced damage in the very short time it continued rolling after the injector failed open.

Established Member Four Rings Spawne32's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by blgilles View Post
    Right, it's alarming. It's coming out so fast it makes me worry that there was hydrolock-induced damage in the very short time it continued rolling after the injector failed open.
    You can always compression or leakdown test the motor.

AZ Member #

Ah, interesting. So would that be a catch-all for any damage that would have occurred? I havenít done one of those before.

AZ Member #

If you had a bent rod, even in the slightest, the compression test would be off alot.

AZ Member #

Ah, perfect - thanks. Looking into it...

AZ Member #

Got this guy, for leak down test:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I want to avoid messing with turning over the engine (so I'm going to do leak-down instead of compression), when fuel stuff is disconnected/not in nominal state, partially out of paranoia, and partially as a result of Justin B8's experience of an engine fire, resulting from the high-pressure fuel pump still having a bit of fuel left in it (despite the low pressure fuel pump fuse already having been pulled). (Thanks for sharing that, Justin... probably saving a ton of people from having to deal with the same.)

AZ Member #

Quick update:
    All four injectors replaced, carbon cleaning performed (Walnut blasting) and running fine.

The engine is significantly quieter than it was before. I had noticed a video on youtube showing what a B8 A4 sounds like with a failing injector (before complete failure), and it was loud, just like mine. I had assumed that that loudness was just what direct injection sounds like. It wasn't.

One note: there was a lot of white smoke on initial startup. This seems commensurate with everyone else's experience, where a lot of fuel ends up in the exhaust/etc. - and burns off. (My injector failed at night, so I couldn't see the white smoke that was very likely billowing out of the tailpipes.) After ~5 minutes of it tapering off there was no longer white smoke coming out of the tailpipes. It did, however, reappear on first on-turbo acceleration, and again tapered after subsequent on-turbo accelerations. (The only way we saw this is that my wife was following me closely on my first test drive. She did note that had she not been looking directly at the tailpipes, she would have not noticed it at all.)

So it seems the last bits of gas/gas-residue are burning off under more load/heat/turbo-speed. I suspect under even-heavier acceleration more will come out.

And as a rehash of the thread, for anyone who happens upon it:
    Codes:
    P008700 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low
    P030300 - Cyl. 3 Misfire Detected
    P130A00 - Hide Cylinder
    P030000 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

Symptoms:
    Loss of power
    White smoke out of back
    Clicking sound from engine
    Strong smell of fuel

Investigation:
    Remove coilpack/sparkplug from cylinder 3, it's indeed wet with fuel
    Open driver door (which on VAG cars, activates the low pressure fuel pump) and see fuel pouring into cylinder 3.

Resolution:
    Replace all 4 injectors.
    (Only 1 was dead, but it's like ~1% more work to replace 4 vs. replacing 1, and the injectors are $49 a pop, so not terrible)
    Went ahead and carbon-cleaned the valves while the intake was off.

And yay now it works again!

Thanks again for everyone's help.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Justin B8 View Post
    1. Yep, no special tools. I replaced seals on my injectors when I had them out to decoke the intake valves/ports. They popped out of the head, still stuck in the manifold end.

2. No pics, but have a look at where it sits and you'll understand. Having bionic fingers helps.

If this were mine, I'd order a couple cans of BG ISC and do a valve cleaning while the intake is off. I used brass brushes chucked in my drill.
    So Justin B8 - connector 1 was a huge pain. I actually aborted my first attempt to put the intake manifold back on, and instead took the harness completely off of it, installed it down with the injectors (making connector 1 trivially easy), and -then- install the intake manifold and installed the harness back to it from the underside (which was surprisingly easy; you just push up and it clips on).

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jfo View Post
    I just changed my injectors and don't recall anything special about #1. They all stayed in the IM. Without the removal tool, just gently pry them out of the manifold. If they are original MY 09, they may have a white plastic spacer ring. The newer injectors use an "intermediate ring" with 3 plastic legs. They don't come with the injector and I have only seem them as part of a kit that includes the new o rings and teflon seals.
    Thanks for the heads up on the 'intermediate ring'. I did indeed have to buy this kit (HERE), since my car did have the old white spacer, since it was MY09, and so required the new version.

I also couldn't find them outside of this kit.

As a heads up, ECS sent me one of those kits with the package open, and the gray ring missing! I think someone needed just that gray ring, so bought the kit, took only it, and then returned the kit. And then ECS sent it to me. Super-lame.

Fortunately I didn't need that gray ring (it came on the injector), but it's super-sketchy that they sent the kit out like that.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by blgilles View Post
    So Justin B8 - connector 1 was a huge pain. I actually aborted my first attempt to put the intake manifold back on, and instead took the harness completely off of it, installed it down with the injectors (making connector 1 trivially easy), and -then- install the intake manifold and installed the harness back to it from the underside (which was surprisingly easy; you just push up and it clips on).
    For clarity, I assume you installed the injectors into the head and then had trouble with the #1 injector connector when adding the IM? I installed the IM with the injectors in place and connected in the IM, so did not see this issue. The injectors have stayed in the IM each of three times I 've removed it. I could then take the IM to my bench, R&R the injectors, then put it back .
    2011 A4 Avant quattro tiptronic/ Eurocode Sway Bars, End Links, Alu Kreuz/ 034 Catch Can/ Various VagCom

AZ Member #

For clarity, I assume you installed the injectors into the head and then had trouble with the #1 injector connector when adding the IM? I installed the IM with the injectors in place and connected in the IM, so did not see this issue. The injectors have stayed in the IM each of three times I 've removed it. I could then take the IM to my bench, R&R the injectors, then put it back .
    Yes, good point/idea to clarify. Yes, I did indeed install the injectors directly into the head. I did that because at that point I was still concerned about the integrity of cylinder 3. And specifically, cylinder 3 injector was the only one that was stuck in the head and not in the fuel manifold/intake manifold (the other 3 stayed in the fuel rail) upon IM/FM removal. This gave me additional concern about what was going on in cylinder 3.

So I put them all directly in the head so that I could visually inspect that they seated OK, and to make sure there weren't any weird feelings/forces/etc. when inserting each one, and specifically, the injector going into cylinder 3. And it turned out there weren't - so more for my own peace-of-mind.

I also had watched this Bosch video, here, where it shows inserting them into the block rather than the manifold.

From what I understand on the matter though, either into the block or the fuel rail is probably fine.

Best,
    -B

AZ Member #

How did the leakdown test go?

AZ Member #

Havenít done it yet. Meant to mention that. Will probably do soon here; Iíve been spending way too much time on this car recently and need a break now that itís at least running.

AZ Member #

Yeh lemme know how it goes, probably something I am going to do on mine before the summer is out to see what kinda shape its in and decide how much longer I wanna keep it.

AZ Member #

Will do. And good call.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12