Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Help with Unitronic VS APR graph

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Looking to get my tune now that my warranty is up. I have no idea which graph looks better and when the optimal rpm for torque is. Any help would be great. Mostly just daily driving so I'm looking for smooth top end power mostly. Thanks

https://goo.gl/images/NQ4uFJ

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_u..._gen3_mqb.html

Established Member Three Rings S3DUDE's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I had APR on my a3 and it was a beast, I think the gains were 120lb-tq on 91oct . The car was a beast on midrange
    Ran 11.93@118.94 mph at 3100ft elevation running E-29 content as per fuel-it sensor (mixture of 2.5 gallons of ethanol E-80 +6.5 gallons of 91oct). No mods. DA of 4,829ft based on 56% humidity, 72.3F (the time of the run), 29.93 barometric pressure, relative density of 86.62%. NHRA corrected at sea level=11.631 @ 121.934 MPH

Established Member Two Rings Grey3's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Is unitronic the "safer" of the two? I also like u can flash w the tool

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Established Member Three Rings S3DUDE's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^^ I heard many times that Unitronic tunes aggressively with the timing and apr tunes aggressively with the boost but I wouldn't listen to that too much. You have to calibrate both in order to make power and make it safe, I am sure both tunes are great.
    Ran 11.93@118.94 mph at 3100ft elevation running E-29 content as per fuel-it sensor (mixture of 2.5 gallons of ethanol E-80 +6.5 gallons of 91oct). No mods. DA of 4,829ft based on 56% humidity, 72.3F (the time of the run), 29.93 barometric pressure, relative density of 86.62%. NHRA corrected at sea level=11.631 @ 121.934 MPH

Established Member Three Rings ralphie_43's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have a stage 2 a3 with unitronic and I love it power is great and it pulls hard especially with e85 mixes. I also love how it's convenient to flash at home instead of taking it to an apr dealership everytime you want to flash your tune

Sent from my SM-G930V using Audizine mobile app

Veteran Member Three Rings Spinnetti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I've used both a number of times, and overall had better luck with Uni. That said, I'm having a problem right now on my Stage II S3, and support from Uni has been non-existent. Tempted to bail on them and try APR if I can get my money back, though I do prefer the home install that Uni allows.
    2015 S3: Uni Stage 2 ECU/TCU / Most of the 034 chassis and suspension catalog / APR Intake, Turbo inlet and Downpipe / ECS resonator delete / Neuspeed turbo muffler delete & discharge piping / 18x8.5 ET35 255/40
    2008 R8 V8 Manual: Uni 93 ECU tune / Avior Exhaust / 15mm Spacers / R8 Puddle lights / Custom mats
    1991 LS400: Literally every part replaced or modified in some way (24hrs of Lemons car)

Veteran Member Four Rings saxon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    I've used both a number of times, and overall had better luck with Uni. That said, I'm having a problem right now on my Stage II S3, and support from Uni has been non-existent. Tempted to bail on them and try APR if I can get my money back, though I do prefer the home install that Uni allows.
    shoot me an email

maybe i can help

b.saxon@getunitronic.com

do you have a trouble ticket #?
    Current Ride- 2018 Audi RS3 Glacier White
    Unitronic- 10.2 @133mph

Past cars 2010 s4-2012 Nissan GT-R -2014 S6-2016 s3-2015 M3--2011 b8 s4

Veteran Member Three Rings Spinnetti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    shoot me an email

maybe i can help

b.saxon@getunitronic.com

do you have a trouble ticket #?
    Thanks - Yep, 3475 (Stage II tune on 93 and TCU tune). Initially Patryk promptly reached out but then fell off the face of the earth. Eventually I posted something on FB, and John reached out and was very helpful. He sent me updated base code, then I reapplied the tune which fixed the check engine light and its running well. Occasionally I'll hit the rev limiter before the trans shifts and it falls on its face, but I haven't nailed down the exact conditions when that occurs yet (maybe trans not up to temp or something?). Only thing I'm hung up on now is getting left foot braking. Is there some magic incantation I can perform to get that? As an almost 30 year road racer its totally a buzz kill to try and really hustle around corners without it.

Although there have been a few hiccups along the way, I like UNI code. I've got it on my S3, R8, and if I remember correctly also Stage II 93 on my Bug Turbo and GLI too.

Thanks!
    2015 S3: Uni Stage 2 ECU/TCU / Most of the 034 chassis and suspension catalog / APR Intake, Turbo inlet and Downpipe / ECS resonator delete / Neuspeed turbo muffler delete & discharge piping / 18x8.5 ET35 255/40
    2008 R8 V8 Manual: Uni 93 ECU tune / Avior Exhaust / 15mm Spacers / R8 Puddle lights / Custom mats
    1991 LS400: Literally every part replaced or modified in some way (24hrs of Lemons car)

AZ Member #

I've used APR, Uni, and now 034. I've written a few reviews and comparisons about them in my build thread.

The TL;DR of it:

APR = high torque on the bottom end gives that "speed" effect, felt "boosty" in daily driving conditions as a result.
    Uni = More linear powerband and pulls nicely up top, but felt a little too stock when putting around town
    034 = Seems to be the happy medium between them. Has more lower end torque than Uni so it feels quicker, and has similar linear pull when you get up in the rev range. Perfect combo for daily driving

I've had no mechanical/tune related issues between the three of them, and I only have my butt dyno to go off. 034's customer support is on another level.

Established Member Two Rings wfujay's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'd choose UM or 034 over either APR or UNI.