Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Difficulty pulling away smoothly from a stop; clutch hose already replaced

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm new to my S4. It's a '15 Prestige 6-speed with 33K on it, running an ECS clutch hose and an EPL stage 2 tune (with pulley).

The issue I'm having is pulling away from a stop smoothly. With the car in Dynamic, when I try to accelerate briskly from a stop, the following happens:
    --feather in throttle to 12-1400RPM while engaging clutch
    --engine RPM begins to dip more than expected as clutch mostly engages, engine almost feels like it's going to bog
    --feather in a bit more throttle
    --RPMs jump as clutch slips more
    --feather out clutch the rest of the way
    --clutch fully engages jerkily and car lurches

It pretty much feels like my '08 M5 6-speed felt before I did the clutch delay valve delete mod. (That car's clutch felt spot-on after the CDV delete.)

With the car in Comfort (or Auto, which seems to default to Comfort), pulling away from a stop is less glitchy. However, when I blip the throttle to rev-match downshifts, I have a harder time getting the RPM correct as the throttle seems to respond much-more softly during the initial tip-in. So, my choices are basically:
    --look like a noob at stoplights when in Dynamic
    --look like a noob when downshifting when in Comfort

To be clear, I've been driving manual transmission cars for 25+ years and can usually shift excellently.

I don't recall this being as much of an issue with the factory clutch line. However, I had to slow-upshift when driving aggressively to prevent the clutch from slipping on the 1-2 upshift or sometimes even the 2-3 upshift. So going back to the stock clutch line is not an option.

I kind of feel like this is a clutch issue. While the stock clutch is holding the EPL stage 2 with pulley power, I know that if I do anything else (like a lower pulley), I'm gonna fry the clutch. I'm not sure if the stock clutch is just kind of worn and therefore acting grabby (previous owner did the tune and undoubtedly drove the car hard on occasion, so maybe the clutch is in less-than-optimal shape), or if the stock clutch is just too light or too heavy to perform the way I'd like it to. Given how expensive clutches are for S4s (compared to my '04 Mustang Cobra, for example), this isn't something that I want to experiment with.

What do you guys think? (Don't even think about suggesting DSG.)

AZ Member #

Figured I'd have had at least a couple replies by now, if not "learn how to drive stick, you turkey". Anyone else experience this?

Established Member Two Rings BigKeshy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by thefleshrocket View Post
    Figured I'd have had at least a couple replies by now, if not "learn how to drive stick, you turkey". Anyone else experience this?
    Silly question (no offense intended): While in Dynamic mode, are you able to smoothly engage the clutch without any input to the throttle?

After I installed the ECS clutch line, my engagement window was drastically reduced to the point where I had to take some time to specifically re-train my muscle memory on where the clutch would grab. If your clutch-line replacement was recent, you may just want to spend some time time focusing on relearning the pedal feel alone.

If that doesn't help, the 6MT super thread has some good info on diagnosing issues as well as upgrade recommendations if the problem persists.
    2013 B8.5 S4 MT

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BigKeshy View Post
    Silly question (no offense intended): While in Dynamic mode, are you able to smoothly engage the clutch without any input to the throttle?
    Do you mean:
    --Depress clutch pedal
    --Put trans in first
    --Slowly engage clutch without any throttle and without killing engine

Established Member Two Rings BigKeshy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by thefleshrocket View Post
    Do you mean:
    --Depress clutch pedal
    --Put trans in first
    --Slowly engage clutch without any throttle and without killing engine
    Yes
    2013 B8.5 S4 MT

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Empty...for now...

For what it's worth, I could drive the car more smoothly with the stock clutch line w/ delay valve, versus now with the stainless valve delete line. Yet another mod I regret haha
    2015 Daytona Gray S4
    6MT / Sport Diff / B&O / Tech Pkg / Carbon Atlas / Black Alcantara
    Mods: S5 Rotors, Xpel Ultimate, 3M Color Stable Tint 35%, H&R Street Performance Coilovers, Euro Code Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sway Bars, Moog Endlinks, CR-15, Eurocode Meisterwerk ASTS, AWE Resonated Touring Exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik Intake, 034 Transmission Mount, HCX LED 3000k Fog Lights, Apikol Rear Diff Mount

Senior Member Three Rings ModItNow's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I did the clutch line at the same time I upgraded to a jhm clutch. I have to rev the car a bit more then before off the line, in my case I think it's from the lightened flywheel. In your case you probably need a new clutch, then you can decide after if you need the delay valve or not. Either way you will need to upgrade if your going to keep the car for a while with it tuned.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Audizine mobile app

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Learn how to drive stick, you turkey.

Senior Member Four Rings Brother Owl's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Jur Mahm

Quote Originally Posted by hilmar2k View Post
    Learn how to drive stick, you turkey.
    came for this, was not dissapointed
    2013 S4 Estoril Blue Crystal 6MT / Prestige / Silver & Black / B&O / Sport Diff / 20% Tint / ECS SSK / E-codes / RS Grille / Ziza Yellow Fogs / ECS Slotted & Drilled Rotors / Akebono Pads / Roc Euro Intake

Denver to Vegas in 9:26 (2/27/15)

Previous: 2004 B6 S4 6MT, 2001 IS300

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BigKeshy View Post
    I tried this today in Auto and Dynamic mode. Clutch pedal pressed, trans in first, slowly release clutch pedal. The engine RPM automatically raised to around 1200RPM while I was releasing the clutch pedal, and the car pulled away smoothly from a dead stop. I was NOT expecting that.

So could my problem be that the car is trying to modulate the throttle when I'm pulling away from the stop, and that's conflicting with me trying to modulate it myself? How do I turn that off?

AZ Member #

So apparently the ďfeatureĒ thatís making it hard to pull away smoothly from a stop is called anti-stall. It activates in first and reverseóif you let out the clutch without dialing in any throttle, it does it for you. Itís kind of handy in stop-and-go traffic, but when brisk acceleration from a stop is commanded, itís a pain. As far as my research has found, it canít be disabled via VSDC. Has anyone come up with a workaround?

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I'm not sure there is a workaround. I can tell you from experience after i installed the stainless line it is harder to use the anti-stall feature without it being somewhat jerky. I have to apply a little bit of throttle now and it is perfect. You also mentioned that in dynamic the throttle responds differently during downshifting? I thought the modes only affected throttle input during regular acceleration, not during downshifts and whatnot?
    2011 Phantom Black Effect S4 6MT, Sport Differential, Advanced Key, Audi Side Assist, Navigation, B&O, Red/black Silk Nappa Leather, Carbon Fiber Atlas Trim, Flat-Bottom Steering wheel with red stitching, RS4 Aluminum pedals, 034 Transmission mount, Roc-Euro Intake, Roc-Euro Short Shifter, 90mm AWE Touring Exhaust with stock downpipes, Unitronic Stage 2+, JHM 179mm Overdrive Crank Pulley, MercRacing heat exchanger, Stasis rear sway bar, Gloss Black RS4 Grille

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have the same symptoms you list and I also have the ECS stainless clutch line. For me, it gets noticeably worse after 10-15 min of driving. Tells me a worn clutch is the likely culprit. I`m figuring a Sachs Xtend is in my near future anyway.
    Last edited by JonS4; Today at 05:58 PM.
    2011 S4 (Cdn Spec) premium, 6MT, Quartz, Eurocode SS, APR Dual Pulley Stage 2 & CPS, Carbonio intake & exhaust, face-lift flat bottom wheel, O-Carbon vent & MMI trim
    2013 Q5 3.0T S-line, EPL Stage 1 (the missus' car) 2007 RS4 (sold)