Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Clanking when oil cap removed

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi guys... I removed my oil cap today from my recently purchased 2011 Audi S5 3.0T and this is the noise I have. The vacuum pump is currently leaking a tiny bit. The oil level has been fine and it doesn't really use oil (I've checked since owning it and bought a dip stick). On my other 3.0T cars there's always some suction when I pull the oil cap... however I've got next to none on this motor and I would assume that's related. With the cap on the car sounds fine and seems to run fine. Is this some faulty PCV effect or something more disastrous? Maintenance on the car was always done properly at Audi according to records.

Sound link:
    https://youtu.be/Iv7r-OaPohk

Thanks
    2013 Ibis White S4 Prestige DSG - APR Stage 2
    2013 Glacier White Q5 3.0T Prestige - Eurodyne Stage 1
    2011 Sprint Blue S5 Prestige - DSG - Sports Diff - Project

Senior Member Four Rings s4matty's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 stage 3 all road.

Its 100% normal that sound
    Your hearing the valvetrain and the crank case pressure blowing out the cap hole.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Audizine mobile app

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Could it be something with timing chains tensioner or guides?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Itís exceptionally loud for normal. Like I said, my two b8.5s donít do this.

AZ Member #

why are you removing your oil cap with the car on??

Veteran Member Four Rings LYKUNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It does sound like something in the valve train may be worn, loose or out of adjustment (maybe). Since your other two 3.0s are not making the same noise, you may be on to something. How many miles are on the car? Might be worth stopping by a dealer or knowledgeable indy shop and asking them to have a listen to assess if the sound is normal, or not. Do you have the service records for the car from the previous owner? Is the maintenance schedule booklet in the glove box and stamped by the dealer? If so, you'll be able to know which dealer serviced the car and perhaps can find out whether there's been any engine work performed in the past, and what it consisted of. Alternatively, a Carfax report may be available to discern what work has been done on your S4 before you purchased it. Let us know what, if anything, you find out about it.
    2011 S4 | Prestige | Jet Blue | Black/Silver Silk Nappa | S-Tronic | Sport Diff | Drive Select | Side Assist | Titanium | Carbon Fiber Inlays | HRE R40s (summer) BBS RGRs (winter)

AZ Member #

I was checking PCV since I have had a couple small oil leaks and found this. The service records are all dealer services at the right times. I found a video on youtube from someone that had the exact same thing going on. I'm going to replace the PCV, but seems like no one knows what this might be or if it's normal for the B8 vs B8.5 (maybe some revision changed this between my 3.0s). The car has 92k miles and was never tuned so I hate to imagine big issues with it.

AZ Member #

So no one has this noise or ideas?