Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Four Rings HazeMyth's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Anyone running Unitronic Stage 3 93oct tune at high altitude?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So, I'm faced with a bit of a dilemma here... I really wanted to go with the Unitronic Stage 3 tune, but it's specific for 93 octane. There's no 93 octane gas stations anywhere near Colorado Springs, only 91. I'm curious if anyone else is running the Uni stage 3 93 octane map on 91 octane gas without issues at 5000+ altitude.

The big reason I want to go with Uni is because I can tune at home. I know APR has a 91 octane stage 2+ map, but I'm just not a fan of APR.
    2013 Audi S5
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    2003 Evolution VIII (Cammed, etc)
    2004 Subaru STI - Stg. 2 (Sold)
    IG: @MrHazeMyth

Senior Member Three Rings BeitzDUB's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Years ago Uni would "tweak" 93oct tunes for 91oct. The last couple years we would just flash 93 files and the ecu would adapt to the 91.
    There are quite a few b8/b8.5 3.0t stage 2+ using Unitronic stage 2 tunes in Colorado using 91oct with a 93oct file. They all run great.

AZ Member #

That's good to hear. I guess worst case scenario, I would be able to check knock sensors by logging with UniConnect. I haven't even seen the tuning software first hand though, so I'm unaware of whether or not you can adjust timing on your own.

I hope the ECU self adjusts faster than my Evo does. It took a good 5 hours of driving to get that tune to a point where we had no knock. 4G63 is a fickle little beast.
    2013 Audi S5

AZ Member #

On older ecus, ME7 and such, we would use a program similar to Lemmiwinks to adjust timing. I do not know if lemmiwinks works on the simos ecus. Unitronic would be able to tell you for sure.

Veteran Member Three Rings 4RCFED's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12' Audi S4, 18' Discovery HSE (V), Durango R/T (sold), ML350 (sold)

I ran the 93 tune when i lived there with no problems, According to EPL because of our altitude it didnít matter. I always threw 3-4 gallons of E85 in anyway. Maybe reach out and ask Uni about it?
    2012 S4 DSG, Ibis, Nappa, sports diff, EPL stg 1 ECU/TCU, Eurocode intake, 034 TM, X-pipe, C-Quartz, Akebonos, BFI shift knob.

AZ Member #

I asked Unitronic about 4 hours ago and they said they'd call me back in 30 to 45 minutes. The guy didn't sound too confident about putting that tune on the car.

I'm also looking at going GIAC with AWE pulleys since they have 91 maps and have that handy little flashloader. It's slightly less power, but I'm not worried about being the fastest car around.

The cylinder pressure will be similar at altitude as it is at sea level, it just takes longer to build the pressure at altitude. The whole lower octane at higher altitude thing is actually sort of in the past. With older cars that completely made sense, but with newer cars you'll actually see knock if you run lower than the recommended octane even above 5000 ft. So that's why I've got some hesitation with the 93 tune on 91 gas. If others haven't had issues that at least puts my mind a bit more at ease though.
    2013 Audi S5

AZ Member #

Have you considered EPL?
    I would suggest APR but

AZ Member #

I have, but I can't find enough information about EPL to really excited about it. I have heard good things about it, but I like to read into the ins and outs of a product before I spend that kind of money. I'm weary at the fact that they seem to only have a Facebook site for their main web page, and their future website has been under construction for an extended period. Either way, EPL is still in consideration based on the positive things I've seen here about them.
    2013 Audi S5

AZ Member #

Chris@EPL actually just reached out to me via PM. Them being active on these forums really does put my hesitation from the site not yet being up to rest. I'ma see what Chris says regarding their offerings.

Thanks for everyone for all of your input. I really do appreciate it!
    2013 Audi S5

AZ Member #

Alright, order placed. Chris called me immediately and answered all of my questions. The conversation left me feeling really confident and excited, so now I just have to wait for my goodies to arrive!

Thanks to Chris@EPL for reaching out!
    2013 Audi S5

Veteran Member Three Rings 4RCFED's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12' Audi S4, 18' Discovery HSE (V), Durango R/T (sold), ML350 (sold)

Congrats, they are always really quick to call or email with answers to questions. No complaints
    2012 S4 DSG, Ibis, Nappa, sports diff, EPL stg 1 ECU/TCU, Eurocode intake, 034 TM, X-pipe, C-Quartz, Akebonos, BFI shift knob.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Chris@EPL's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Good talking to you and everything is on the way shipping out today. Enjoy.
    European Performance Labs
    http://www.facebook.com/EPLabs
    https://www.instagram.com/eplabs/
    (203-345-6499)
    Chris@eplabs.net

Please feel free to contact us with any questions!!

AZ Member #

Nice
    I know Tim loves their tune on his S4 up here. He's moving though :(

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@EPL View Post
    Good talking to you and everything is on the way shipping out today. Enjoy.
    You as well. Can't wait to get that extra power!
    2013 Audi S5

AZ Member #

Very happy EPL dual pulley owner. I run the 93 file - mostly with with 91 and a couple gallons of E85 but regularity only sees 91

Sent from my
    2018 SQ5 - Daytona, Prestige

*Sold*2011 S4 - EPL Dual Pulley + TCU - 20" BBS LM - Bilstein B12 - APR RSC Exhaust
    Deval CF Diffuser - Maxton Splitter - USP Intake - MercRacing HE - CR15 -AutoTech HPFP

AZ Member #

I've got my Stage 1 tune and TCU tune now. Wow, what a difference! I'll be working with Hardey's in Parker, CO. to have the pulley installed, hopefully very soon.

Chris @ EPL has been so incredibly easy to work with. Great customer experience, quick shipping time, great response time to emails, and very happy with the outcome of even just the stage 1 and TCU.
    2013 Audi S5

Established Member Two Rings Clockwerks's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 6mt allroad, 16 Ducati Hyper, Wife's Honda Pilot, impending feeling of doom with 2 C5 audis

I guess I can chime in here. My A6 has a uni tune on it from sea level. It dynoíd at 420 whp and 410 whtq at down there. I havenít dynoíed it up here but has run great for the last five years.
    Also Hardey has worked on both my Audiís and I canít say enough great things about his shop. They know their stuff and are very fair. He stands behind everything done there as well.
    Good luck
    05 allroad 6 speed, blue, color matched and bone stock so far...
    04 2.7 A6 6 speed with GT28RS Turbos, water/meth injection, 3" performance exhaust w/ RS6 tips, Koni FSDs, Eibachs, & H&R sway bars, 8 piston Brembos, RS6 18" whls, Drive train stab, RS6 body & alcantera interior, European RS6 pedals, R8 steering whl running a Kenwood 9980, Boost gauge, Blah, blah blah...

AZ Member #

Thanks for the input, Clockwerks. I've got my appointment scheduled with Hardey 2 Fridays from now. I haven't had extensive interactions with him yet, but I can honestly say that the ones we have had left me feeling really happy about going through his shop, so I'm really glad he came as a suggestion from multiple people.

Loving the Stage 1 ECU and stage 2 TCU tune I have right now, but super stoked to see how it feels with the pulley and stage 2.
    2013 Audi S5