Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 S4 6sp Avant

Engine Pull...repair or replace?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    MY soon-to-be daily driver (05.5 Avant 6-speed) has a broken AC compressor shaft and multiple leaks/seeps that are beginning to have me considering a swap vs. fix (and while it's out, do the timing service).
    The current mileage is 160k, so it's due/over-due and I'm thinking if I could find a lower mileage 4.2, it might be easier than tackling all the gaskets on the original. The plan is to keep it for another 50k-75k.
    Thoughts? Advice? I absolutely love the car (what other options are there for a wagon, all wheel drive, manual, V8?)

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You could:
    1. Buy a donor engine and do all the work to that motor ahead of time. Then find a weekend to pull the engine and swap with your newly refreshed 4.2.

2. Buy a 2.7L V6 out of a b5 and do that swap

3. Buy a RS4 BNS 4.2 and do that swap

Or 4. Just pull your engine and do the work to it.

Or there is always 5. Swap in either a LS engine or 2jz ;)

Quote Originally Posted by golferjohnm View Post
    MY soon-to-be daily driver (05.5 Avant 6-speed) has a broken AC compressor shaft and multiple leaks/seeps that are beginning to have me considering a swap vs. fix (and while it's out, do the timing service).
    The current mileage is 160k, so it's due/over-due and I'm thinking if I could find a lower mileage 4.2, it might be easier than tackling all the gaskets on the original. The plan is to keep it for another 50k-75k.
    Thoughts? Advice? I absolutely love the car (what other options are there for a wagon, all wheel drive, manual, V8?)
    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

Senior Member Three Rings roboto_1337's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 S4 6MT

I would opt for 3 if money is no object. Ultimately it would depend on the amount of work the engine needs... valve/stem seals, condition of the cylinders etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Piggy Pipes, Milltek non-res cat-back exhaust, JHM 93 Tune, JHM Short Throw Shifter, Updated RS4 upper and lower timing guides, Brembo 18Z w/RS4 SS lines, Hotchkiss RS4 Front Anti-sway bars, BC racing BR coilovers, EB-Works adjustable rear end links, 034 Motorsports spherical end links. 034 Motorsport Engine mounts, 034 Motorsports Silicon MAF hose, Hartmann 19" RS4 Reps +5mm 42DD front +10mm ECS rear.

Veteran Member Three Rings jakeoboy67's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    mk2 Jetta Tdi

Is your current 4.2 burning oil ?
    get a compression test/borescope inspection done before taking a decision.

the "lower mileage " 4.2 you're looking for might look good, but have scored cylinders, which is alot harder to repair than the timing/gaskets/seals job you'll have to do on your current engine.

replacing/re-sealing everything is easy, once the engine is out.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 S4 6sp Avant

thank you all for the excellent responses/ideas...I'm hoping to make this more of a 'plug/play' scenario, but a simple LS sure sounds attractive :)

is there any way to determine if the cylinder walls have any scoring without tearing-down the entire top-end? If I found a solid replacement candidate, I'd certainly have the chain and all related gaskets replaced, but I'd hate to run into having a complete rebuild.

Vinny, how 'bout I ship a lower-mileage 4.2 your way and have you do the chains and whatever else is needed??? :) Then I'll limp it down from Bellingham and we plug it in! (at your convenience, of course)

Senior Member Three Rings roboto_1337's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 S4 6MT

Engine Pull...repair or replace?

thank you all for the excellent responses/ideas...I'm hoping to make this more of a 'plug/play' scenario, but a simple LS sure sounds attractive :)

is there any way to determine if the cylinder walls have any scoring without tearing-down the entire top-end? If I found a solid replacement candidate, I'd certainly have the chain and all related gaskets replaced, but I'd hate to run into having a complete rebuild.

Vinny, how 'bout I ship a lower-mileage 4.2 your way and have you do the chains and whatever else is needed??? :) Then I'll limp it down from Bellingham and we plug it in! (at your convenience, of course)
    Boroscope through the spark plug holes.

Do a compression check first tho. Probably cheaper and will point you to potential cylinders that may have issue.

Piggy Pipes, Milltek non-res cat-back exhaust, JHM 93 Tune, JHM Short Throw Shifter, Updated RS4 upper and lower timing guides, Brembo 18Z w/RS4 SS lines, Hotchkiss RS4 Front Anti-sway bars, BC racing BR coilovers, EB-Works adjustable rear end links, 034 Motorsports spherical end links. 034 Motorsport Engine mounts, 034 Motorsports Silicon MAF hose, Hartmann 19" RS4 Reps +5mm 42DD front +10mm ECS rear.

AZ Member #

:)

1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I love how vinny suggests doing a BNS swap. Do you realize that youll spend close to 20 grand having that swap done right?
    2008 DTM RS4

Instagram--@tjbradney

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tjbradney View Post
    I love how vinny suggests doing a BNS swap. Do you realize that youll spend close to 20 grand having that swap done right?
    And I have over 10k invested and am not satisfied. And that's without paying a dollar for labor. Bns swap makes more sense to me

My build log

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by VinnysS4 View Post
    And I have over 10k invested and am not satisfied. And that's without paying a dollar for labor. Bns swap makes more sense to me

10 grand invested into what? a BHF doing maintenance work?

that and a BNS swap isnt just plug and play theres more work then what it seems a 4.2 FSI and the 4.2 s4 motor are different all around.
    2008 DTM RS4

Instagram--@tjbradney

AZ Member #

Not just maintenance.
    Yes the swap isn't for the faint of heart. There are all sorts of little things like relocating the battery (already wired up for it with 2 runs of 2/0 gauge from front to rear) , double ecu s, etc.... I'm just saying it is a viable option for some. One guy in the build sections has a 2jz swapped RS4 with retained AWD. That's by far harder than the bns swap and it was done. I think there are plenty of viable candidates/options and none of them are cheap.

My build log

AZ Member #

as long as you know everything for the bns swap get it done.
    2008 DTM RS4

Instagram--@tjbradney

AZ Member #

Lol. Never said I knew it all. Un bunch those panties. I'm going to be getting Into another platform before long. Going to start FI and go from there
    as long as you know everything for the bns swap get it done.

My build log

AZ Member #

I like how me stating a BNS swap really isnt idealistic. Just because me and what three or four others have done it doesnt mean its something that should just be thrown out. But ill take my panties in a bunch and laugh at this since its relocating a battery and two ECU's gravy swap.
    2008 DTM RS4

Instagram--@tjbradney

Senior Member Three Rings DarrenOman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Are we helping golferjohnm or picking holes in someone else's post

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenOman View Post
    Are we helping golferjohnm or picking holes in someone else's post

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    yeah option three isnt practical. So best option is finding another BHF do timing while its out and put it back in.
    2008 DTM RS4

Instagram--@tjbradney

AZ Member #

There is a ton of work to do a bns swap. Never refuted it. There is also a 2.7 swap. Also a ton of work bit doable by someone who has done different swaps in the past. I've even seen a turbo LS swapped S4. Besides. Didn't you have a shop do the work for you?

My build log

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by VinnysS4 View Post
    There is a ton of work to do a bns swap. Never refuted it. There is also a 2.7 swap. Also a ton of work bit doable by someone who has done different swaps in the past. I've even seen a turbo LS swapped S4. Besides. Didn't you have a shop do the work for you?

classic oh you had a shop do the work, Yes i have no space to be down for months at a time and they did it in a week. soooo you do the math
    2008 DTM RS4

Instagram--@tjbradney

AZ Member #

Not sure what your issue is. You have a nicely built car. Props to the shop that did it . They obviously know what they are doing. I never said I was going to do the swap. However, I'm sure I could do the swap. Not in a week thats for sure as I work 50 to 60 hours a week as it is.
    I work for a metal fabrication company and have access to breaks and presses and a variety of materials for fabbing up
    Brackets and mounts. But as it stands right now, I'm swamped in projects so nothing like that is going to happen any time soon.
    John: sorry to litter your thread. I would suggest finding someone who can build it how you want it done.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Audizine mobile app

My build log

Veteran Member Three Rings jhoward's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I looked into it- it's really hard to find them ( or it was for the 3 months I tried) You have to wait to find an rs4 that's been rear ended and scoop it quick. At least then you have all the parts for the swap and then some

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    I looked into it- it's really hard to find them ( or it was for the 3 months I tried) You have to wait to find an rs4 that's been rear ended and scoop it quick. At least then you have all the parts for the swap and then some

I can find you a motor right now with 94k on it but then you need to source all other parts.
    2008 DTM RS4

Instagram--@tjbradney

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 S4 6sp Avant

since this will be my future DD, I'll opt for plans 1 or 4...whichever makes the most sense

AZ Member #

since this will be my future DD, I'll opt for plans 1 or 4...whichever makes the most sense
    Iíd pull it take it apart see how it looks inside. If itís ďthat badĒ find a donor block no need to a whole motor unless you would rather but that can lead to the same results after long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 DTM RS4

Instagram--@tjbradney