Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Four Rings jygesq's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1986 Honda CH 150 D scooter bought new

Angry trouble on the B9 board , new design engine failing!!!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    there have been three postings about b9 engine catastrophic failure with 10,000 miles or less on the engine! One picture showed metal bits found in oil pan. First year on any car production is worry some ! Our engines have TSB for chain rattle. The noise returned in two cars some 6 months later after TSB was performed! It is a difficult fix even for skilled techs, and if issue comes up again why do it. It seems AUDI is like other car makers!
    2015 S4, P+, Florett Silver,black /silver nappa leather, S-tronic ,sport diff,B&O ,tech package ,supercharged badges. All season tires ,cargo net, factory dip stick

Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    997S; Camaro SS; e30 BMW, Toyota FJ

Yeah I was thinking about posting that here just to kind of remind us how damn lucky we are with the 3.0T. Supposedly they stopped production on the new engines and they're not meeting european emission regulations???

I've had two B8 A4 cars that each had 2 engine replacements. There was just so many shit parts on those engines from bad turbos, bad pistons/rings, bad timing chains, tensioners, cam bridges, guides, etc, etc. Complete crap. The B6 S4 I had I luckily got rid of before I had to do engine out timing chains.

The 3.0T is damn near bullet proof in comparison... and even the first year 2010 models. So what you have to replace a thermostat or PCV or maybe a DSG circuit board? Gladly.

Mike

2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK
    11.482 at 118.70mph - 97 octane - +465DA
    --------------------------
    2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

Established Member Three Rings 303 Spartan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi S4 & 2016 Mazda CX5

Yikes!

I was planning on trading in on a B9 S4/S5 within the next 8-12 months. Looks like that will be on hold and I may hang on to this car longer and waiting to see what changes the 2nd model year bring, if any.
    '14 Estoril Blue S4 / EPL Stage 2 ECU & TCU
    DSG | ADS | Sport Diff | B&O | Tech Pkg | H&R OE Springs | VMR V710 19x8.5 et35 | 5mm ECS Spacers | PSS 255/35/19

Established Member Two Rings Jimcoily's Avatar
    AZ Member #

That is very unfortunate to hear about the B9's, 3 to many engine failures. Hopefully this doesn't turn into the B6/7 timing chain. Fingers crossed that this problem gets fixed because Ill have a open parking spot with in the next year.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4, Orange B5 Avant

it failed when it came auto only.

also who wants a s4 thats reliable. b5,6,7 and now 9 are correct our b8s are the weird ones.
    2011 S4 6mt Black/ Magma/ Carbon
    HRE ff01 | Rotiform ind-t | AWE Touring | P3 | Roc Euro | PLM | Eurocode Sways | Apr Stage 2 | H&R Sport | Q5 ECS Wave F/R | CR15 | AK | Eurocode Inserts | 034 subframe Inserts | Ecs Carbon Diffuser | JHM CP | ECS Short Shifter |

Veteran Member Four Rings Dr GP's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lexus RX 350

Is the B9 engine significantly different from the 3.0 in the B8 other than having turbos instead of a supercharger? I figured that they would be basically the same engine with just a different type of forced induction.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lexus RX 350

Quote Originally Posted by Jimcoily View Post
    That is very unfortunate to hear about the B9's, 3 to many engine failures. Hopefully this doesn't turn into the B6/7 timing chain. Fingers crossed that this problem gets fixed because Ill have a open parking spot with in the next year.
    Timing chains(tensioners) on B6/B7 didn't generally fail until it had well over 50K miles on it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dr GP View Post
    Is the B9 engine significantly different from the 3.0 in the B8 other than having turbos instead of a supercharger? I figured that they would be basically the same engine with just a different type of forced induction.
    from what i understand it is very different.

http://youwheel.com/home/2016/06/08/...3-0l-turbo-v6/

Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK

Established Member Three Rings Melen2120's Avatar
    AZ Member #

From my understanding the new engine is a ďhot vĒ just like the 4.0tt guys , the turbos sit in the center of the v and the intakes are where most of us are used to seeing the exhaust manifolds

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4, Orange B5 Avant

Not the same at all.
    HRE ff01 | Rotiform ind-t | AWE Touring | P3 | Roc Euro | PLM | Eurocode Sways | Apr Stage 2 | H&R Sport | Q5 ECS Wave F/R | CR15 | AK | Eurocode Inserts | 034 subframe Inserts | Ecs Carbon Diffuser | JHM CP | ECS Short Shifter |

Active Member Two Rings Morritse's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Why did they feel like they needed to make the engine switch...
    Dual pulley e85 w/ TCU tune (EPL)
    Full custom exhaust (Catless)
    Brembo BBK
    APR CPS cooling system
    034 front and rear sway bars Transmission inserts, cr 15 bar strut brace, density control arms
    Koni sport shocks with Eibach lowering springs
    VMR v804 Wrapped in PSS (255/19/35)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Melen2120 View Post
    From my understanding the new engine is a ďhot vĒ just like the 4.0tt guys , the turbos sit in the center of the v and the intakes are where most of us are used to seeing the exhaust manifolds

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

I think he was talking about the actual 3.0l part of it not the power adders. They did happen to place the turbo in the V where our SC is but my understanding is that the 3.0l has different drive cycles, different cylinder walls/liners (and likely then different pistons), different location of direct injectors, different block cooling. Id imagine if those parts are listed as different than there are a TON more that are different. Probably most everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Morritse View Post
    Why did they feel like they needed to make the engine switch...

See post 5 above by tar. They saw how reliable the B8/B8.5 engine was and this is completely foreign to Audi. They needed to get back to their homeostasis of making fast, technologically innovative, and completely unreliable engines.

Mike

Gone:

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 VW GTi

Quote Originally Posted by bhvrdr View Post

See post 5 above by tar. They saw how reliable the B8/B8.5 engine was and this is completely foreign to Audi. They needed to get back to their homeostasis of making fast, technologically innovative, and completely unreliable engines.

Mike
    This got me. It is so damn true.

Senior Member Four Rings jygesq's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1986 Honda CH 150 D scooter bought new

different design, BTW timing chains on front of engine, not rear.
    2015 S4, P+, Florett Silver,black /silver nappa leather, S-tronic ,sport diff,B&O ,tech package ,supercharged badges. All season tires ,cargo net, factory dip stick

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jygesq View Post
    different design, BTW timing chains on front of engine, not rear.
    Well, they got something right, then....

AZ Member #

Timing chains(tensioners) on B6/B7 didn't generally fail until it had well over 50K miles on it.
    That's even worse, just out of warranty

Wasn't aware that the engines were so vastly different

Active Member Two Rings Morritse's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by EIAlfonso View Post
    That's even worse, just out of warranty

Wasn't aware that the engines were so vastly different
    If it's bad enough maybe they'll be a lawsuit like I'm a 2.0t
    Dual pulley e85 w/ TCU tune (EPL)
    Full custom exhaust (Catless)
    Brembo BBK
    APR CPS cooling system
    034 front and rear sway bars Transmission inserts, cr 15 bar strut brace, density control arms
    Koni sport shocks with Eibach lowering springs
    VMR v804 Wrapped in PSS (255/19/35)

Established Member Two Rings Jimcoily's Avatar
    AZ Member #

DR GP
    I was saying that pretty much every B6/7 S4 was going to have timing chain rattle at some point, and that hopefully this failure of 3 B9 S4 engines doesn't become a problem that every B9 S4 is going to have down the road. As a former B6 S4 owner I'm very happy all I have to worry about is push to start (6mt), crank pulley failure, cats going out and supercharger intercoolers going out.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4, Orange B5 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by Jimcoily View Post
    DR GP
    I was saying that pretty much every B6/7 S4 was going to have timing chain rattle at some point, and that hopefully this failure of 3 B9 S4 engines doesn't become a problem that every B9 S4 is going to have down the road. As a former B6 S4 owner I'm very happy all I have to worry about is push to start (6mt), crank pulley failure, cats going out and supercharger intercoolers going out.
    Reread the thread it sounds like alot more than 3 people already.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tar View Post
    Reread the thread it sounds like alot more than 3 people already.
    Yup. Sounds like a pretty big problem.

Senior Member Three Rings wangshuo1989's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thatís why I never buy first year European car, always wait til the second or third year

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

...And it is ugly with a stupid screen sticking up out of the dash.

Senior Member Three Rings Bikel's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^what he said^
    2010 S4 | Prestige | Ibis White | DSG w SD | ADAC Grille Badge

Established Member Three Rings 303 Spartan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi S4 & 2016 Mazda CX5

Quote Originally Posted by chilort View Post
    ...And it is ugly with a stupid screen sticking up out of the dash.
    Yeah, that is a weird new trend with car brands that I really hope is short lived.
    '14 Estoril Blue S4 / EPL Stage 2 ECU & TCU
    DSG | ADS | Sport Diff | B&O | Tech Pkg | H&R OE Springs | VMR V710 19x8.5 et35 | 5mm ECS Spacers | PSS 255/35/19

Veteran Member Four Rings TMurt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by 303 Spartan View Post
    Yeah, that is a weird new trend with car brands that I really hope is short lived.
    I believe that is here to stay. There are a lot of new requirements around placement of those screens. I canít remeber the exact document, but itís some report showing that these screens should be high enough so that the drivers eye sight is only a certain number of degrees downward. There are also rules around how quickly the back up camera needs to come on which makes the pop up in the A3 invalid also. With that said, Iíd be shocked if our B8 screens were not compliant. It seems high enough up and the integrated design is awesome

Current: 2010 Imola S4 Prestige 6MT
    Past: 2007 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro / Fly's LEDs/ Tint 30% /De-badged / Eibach Springs / Koni Sports / Clear Corner / Black Side Markers / RS4 Rep Grill-Gloss Shadowline / Hoen H11 Xenon Match Fogs / Shadowlined Chrome Trim / RS4 Rear Sway Bar/ S-line trunk lid / 18" OZ Superturismo LM / 235/40/18 Continental Extreme Contact DWS

Senior Member Three Rings Corradobrit's Avatar
    AZ Member #

+1 million. Deal breaker for me as I would see it and hate it every drive
    2014 S4 Premium Plus, Glacier White Metallic, Black Optics, DSG, sport diff, Nappa, B&O, AWE Touring/Res DP, GIAC ECU/TCU Stage 1, ECS CF rear diffuser, CR15

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TMurt View Post
    I believe that is here to stay. There are a lot of new requirements around placement of those screens. I canít remeber the exact document, but itís some report showing that these screens should be high enough so that the drivers eye sight is only a certain number of degrees downward. There are also rules around how quickly the back up camera needs to come on which makes the pop up in the A3 invalid also. With that said, Iíd be shocked if our B8 screens were not compliant. It seems high enough up and the integrated design is awesome
    There's no reason why they couldn't be motorized and slide out or pop up. Except for cost cutting.
    2014 S4 Premium Plus, Glacier White Metallic, Black Optics, DSG, sport diff, Nappa, B&O, AWE Touring/Res DP, GIAC ECU/TCU Stage 1, ECS CF rear diffuser, CR15

Senior Member Three Rings Senseless's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yikes!

I was planning on trading in on a B9 S4/S5 within the next 8-12 months. Looks like that will be on hold and I may hang on to this car longer and waiting to see what changes the 2nd model year bring, if any.
    I was looking now, but luckily never found what I wanted. I'm definitely putting this search on hold until we know better what's going on. I mistakenly thought the motor only had minor changes from the previous bulletproof version.
    2012 S4- 6MT, Sport Diff, MMI Nav, B&O, Phantom Black, Red Silk Nappa, Adv Key. USP SS clutch line, sport shifter.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lexus RX 350

I now have to believe that the B8 S4 was an anomaly. So Audi got rid of a really great engine that with a slight ECU upgrade could give the exact same performance as the B9 3.0 turbo engine. And then they also get rid of the 6MT and S-tronic trans, Heads need to roll!. Everyone still holding onto their b8 s4s has got to feel good about the decision.But what do you get if and when you want to upgrade or just want something new?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lexus RX 350

Audi will probably blame the problem on improper break in technique!

Senior Member Three Rings 4RCFED's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12' Audi S4, 18' Discovery HSE (V), Durango R/T (sold), ML350 (sold)

I now have to believe that the B8 S4 was an anomaly. So Audi got rid of a really great engine that with a slight ECU upgrade could give the exact same performance as the B9 3.0 turbo engine. And then they also get rid of the 6MT and S-tronic trans, Heads need to roll!. Everyone still holding onto their b8 s4s has got to feel good about the decision.But what do you get if and when you want to upgrade or just want something new?
    Iím definitely happy, I was very close to grabbing an S5 SB. Hopefully they sort this out.
    2012 S4 DSG, Ibis, Nappa, sports diff, EPL stg 1 ECU/TCU, Eurocode intake, 034 TM, X-pipe, C-Quartz, Akebonos, BFI shift knob.

AZ Member #

My next car will be the facelift RS3 if it gains the flared fenders like the new RS models (RS5, new Euro-spec RS4 Avant etc) are beginning to flaunt.

AZ Member #

Yikes. Assuming a tune was coming, this was on the short list of next car.

Are S6's reliable?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjw View Post

Are S6's reliable?
    Local guy here bought a 39k dollar used s6 like 2 years ago now and grabbed some used rs7 turbos from overseas for a couple grand and runs mid to high 10s all day long no matter what the weather. I saw him snap an axle once and he told me it was literally 150 in parts and 2 hours to replace

Gone:

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by cjw View Post

Are S6's reliable?
    MTM has a tune. Your's for only Euro6450, but the air filter is included for free.......

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

BMW in 2001-2003 had issues with engine bearings and the oil type used causing engine failures which got corrected.

Dodge has had troubles with hellcat motors grenading (not demons) with low miles

Many manufacturers have had issues...Audi/VW is not immune to this. We have heard Lamborghini, etc have had low mileage engine failures among other companies. If companies were willing to invest the "TIME" into R&D in different climates/fuel types they could likely avoid much of this warranty crap we are seeing with issues. Thx for posting.
    2015 Audi S4 6MT Glacier White w Black Interior
    2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo Triple Black
    1998 Chev Camaro LS2 Rear mount Turbo (710+hp/710+rwtq @ 14# boost at the wheels)
    2016 Audi SQ5 Technik Glacier White w Black/Red Interior -SOLD
    2010 Audi S5 Coupe 6MT, Daytona Grey/Magma Red Interior - SOLD
    2010 Jeep SRT8 - SOLD
    ​​​​​​​2006 BMW E46 M3 Coupe 6MT - SOLD
    2011 Volvo XC70 T6 & S60 T6 - SOLD
    2004 Audi S4 V8 Sedan - SOLD
    2002 Acura TL Type S - SOLD

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Mops@Nemesis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by Corradobrit View Post
    There's no reason why they couldn't be motorized and slide out or pop up. Except for cost cutting.
    There are also new regs that require full deployment to occur within a very short period, making it not an option with the B9 cars.

I've lived with the B9 S4 for about 9 months now. The lower dash, and dash mounted screen works pretty well. Overall visibility is improved, and the screen placement is not bothersome at all. Now my S3 screen... I disliked it a lot. It was the tallest part of the dash, and just floated literally on top of the dash.

As with anything, you need to live with it for a bit. Not make an assessment based off of test drive or even only a photo.
    034Motorsport | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Sparco | Stoptech | TSW | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

Veteran Member Four Rings LYKUNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I concur! I love our B8 S4 and want to keep it for as long as possible, but do worry that if another distracted driver hits us and totals it, we'll have to make a quick decision on a replacement. I can't stand the tablet on the top of the dash screens or the quilted seats either. Alternatives like the Panamera or S/RS7 are bigger than I really want or need. The RS5 SB would be a contender except for that tablet (assuming a ventilated, non-quilted seat option is available). I hope Audi is paying attention to what their customers are seeking.
    2011 S4 | Prestige | Jet Blue | Black/Silver Silk Nappa | S-Tronic | Sport Diff | Drive Select | Side Assist | Titanium | Carbon Fiber Inlays | HRE R40s (summer) BBS RGRs (winter)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mops@Nemesis View Post
    There are also new regs that require full deployment to occur within a very short period, making it not an option with the B9 cars.

I've lived with the B9 S4 for about 9 months now. The lower dash, and dash mounted screen works pretty well. Overall visibility is improved, and the screen placement is not bothersome at all. Now my S3 screen... I disliked it a lot. It was the tallest part of the dash, and just floated literally on top of the dash.

As with anything, you need to live with it for a bit. Not make an assessment based off of test drive or even only a photo.
    I lived with the fixed tombstone display on a B9 A4 loaner for 2 weeks while I had the cold start rattle TSB work done, and my opinion never changed. There has to be a better option. I don't see many other makers adopting this design.

The A3's is retractible.

Veteran Member Four Rings GeoJoe's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi S4, 2017 Audi Q7, 2016 Porsche GT4, 1973 Datsun 240z

Hate to read about those engines. Glad to have the 3.0 in the S4 and Q7.

Q7s are also moving to fixed nav screens btw
    Track pics and videos: S4 | GT3 | 240z | Q7| Tundra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast