Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MK IV R32, B7 RS4, Q7 TDI

Any Twin Cities based RS4 owners?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi all, Iím interested in a RS4 at an Ford dealership in Eden Prairie, MN but am based in the Bay Area of CA. Before I commit to flying out there and potentially buying it Iíd love it if a local owner, or someone very familiar with RS4s, would be willing to check it out for me first.

Iíve reviewed the service records and Carfax so know the areas Iíd ask you to pay special attention to.

Iím also a current owner of one, but wanting to add a second because I have two young boys and my ultimate goal is to pass one down to each :) Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings b6bydesign04's Avatar
    AZ Member #

That's a great lookin car, and lots of service records on the clean Carfax too. Wish I could help, but she looks like a good one! Maybe ask in here too:

https://www.audizine.com/forum/forum...hp/20-Mid-West
    -Sean
    2008 RS4 | Suzuka Gray/Exclusive Interior | Ti | KW| Milltek | Apikol | 034

F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W.

Established Member Two Rings usmc_s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ibis Ti RS4, Protomotive 996TT, 2013 GT-R

I read somewhere on here that someone already looked at it. No carbon clean, no maintenance history, non oem brakes, and wheels were all curbed.....
    Ibis Ti RS4 Gone.....
    2013 GTR Switzer P800
    Protomotive 996tt
    2015 Jeep SRT (DD)

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_s4 View Post
    I read somewhere on here that someone already looked at it. No carbon clean, no maintenance history, non oem brakes, and wheels were all curbed.....
    Yup:

Quote Originally Posted by jmann2380 View Post
    This one didn't work out. Was a trade and the Ford dealership didn't know jack about the car. No carbon clean, non-OEM brakes, rash on the wheels. I decided to pass on their non-negotiable price of $30k.
    2007 RS4 Lava Gray - 034/Akipol Mounts, JHM SS, SportShifter, 10mm MTM Spacers (Red Reflections CF Trim)
    2019 Grand Sport Sebring Orange

Past: S550 Mustang GT, B8.5 S4, 981 Cayman, MK7 GTI, e46 323Ci
    IG: @TheCarBudget

Veteran Member Four Rings b6bydesign04's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_s4 View Post
    Hmmm, brakes look OEM to me (or at least from what I can tell in this picture):

And in regards to no Maintenance history, they may not have paper records but the Carfax does a pretty good job of at least showing regular oil changes:

5,000 mile service performed @ 5,478 miles
    15,000 mile service performed @ 15,010 miles
    Oil and filter changed @ 18,151 miles
    Oil and filter changed @ 20,254 miles
    Maintenance inspection completed @ 25,839 miles
    Maintenance inspection completed @ 31,481 miles
    Maintenance inspection completed @ 40,260 miles
    Maintenance inspection completed @ 46,295 miles
    Maintenance inspection completed @ 49,579 miles
    Maintenance inspection completed @ 58,616 miles
    Maintenance inspection completed @ 62,351 miles
    If those 'Maintenance inspection completed' services at Napleton Autowerks included an oil change (as the mileage intervals suggests), then I'd say it was pretty well cared for. I'd definitely try to reach out to them, maybe they have some records on file and I'm sure based they're quite familiar with the car based on the Carfax. I've seen worse looking cars with even more vague service history sell for more...
    -Sean
    2008 RS4 | Suzuka Gray/Exclusive Interior | Ti | KW| Milltek | Apikol | 034

F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W.

AZ Member #

It was me that posted they passed on it. I didn't see it in person, but decided to pass for a few reasons:

1) The Ford dealership was acting like they had a 1 of 1 holy grail car and were dismissive in my requests and were non-negotiable on the price.

2) It hadn't had a carbon clean done from the Carfax nor the records they had.

3) They said the brakes were non-OEM. They had the receipt from an indy shop. If they are OEM brakes then they shot themselves in the foot there.

4) Two of the wheels had some pretty significant rash on them.

Other than that they said it was owned by a doctor who drove to Atlanta to get it and it had a pretty good history from the Carfax. I'd say it was well taken care of. But FOR ME, I want a car that I know a bit more history about and a seller that is a bit easier to work with. They were basically like we have people lining up for this car, take it or leave it. Not the attitude I want to deal with, especially when I have to ship the car in sight unseen.

-Josh

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

It was me that posted they passed on it. I didn't see it in person, but decided to pass for a few reasons:

1) The Ford dealership was acting like they had a 1 of 1 holy grail car and were dismissive in my requests and were non-negotiable on the price.

2) It hadn't had a carbon clean done from the Carfax nor the records they had.

3) They said the brakes were non-OEM. They had the receipt from an indy shop. If they are OEM brakes then they shot themselves in the foot there.

4) Two of the wheels had some pretty significant rash on them.

Other than that they said it was owned by a doctor who drove to Atlanta to get it and it had a pretty good history from the Carfax. I'd say it was well taken care of. But FOR ME, I want a car that I know a bit more history about and a seller that is a bit easier to work with. They were basically like we have people lining up for this car, take it or leave it. Not the attitude I want to deal with, especially when I have to ship the car in sight unseen.

-Josh
    Thanks all for the info. The dealership sent me all the service records which was comforting, but I also noted no carbon clean and stock DRC which I canít tell if it was fixed/recalled. Since itís a late build 08 maybe it wasnt a problem but one of things I wanted to check out. Two other concerning issues: an instance when the owner brought the car in bc if ďsteamĒ and the tech noticed the coolant reservoir was empty bc a hose clamp came off, and an instance of a CEL bc of all 8 cylinders misfiring.

Regardless if they are non-negotiable then itíll be a pass.

Veteran Member Four Rings Fourplay's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AvantNeeded View Post
    Thanks all for the info. The dealership sent me all the service records which was comforting, but I also noted no carbon clean and stock DRC which I canít tell if it was fixed/recalled. Since itís a late build 08 maybe it wasnt a problem but one of things I wanted to check out. Two other concerning issues: an instance when the owner brought the car in bc if ďsteamĒ and the tech noticed the coolant reservoir was empty bc a hose clamp came off, and an instance of a CEL bc of all 8 cylinders misfiring.

DRC was a free recall at one point - every car needed the recalled part, there was no updated part until well after production ended. I've owned one of the first RS4s sold in North America and the last RS4 sold in North America and both needed/had the DRC recall.
    Garage:
    B7 RS4 (For Sale)

Past:
    B7 RS4 Mugello w/Ti Package
    B6 S4 Avant 6MT Dolphin Grey
    B5 S4 Avant 6MT Laser Red Stage 3+
    B5 S4 Sedan 6MT Silver Stage 1

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Fourplay View Post
    DRC was a free recall at one point - every car needed the recalled part, there was no updated part until well after production ended. I've owned one of the first RS4s sold in North America and the last RS4 sold in North America and both needed/had the DRC recall.
    Good to know.

AZ Member #

If you got all the service records you got a better salesman than me. The first guy they gave me literally said, I don't have time to get you a build sheet! The misfires and coolant issue is concerning. Regarding price, his exact words were...

"I will send pictures but the price is non negotiable.... 29,999$ one of 355 for the US market......... pictures will follow".

Pictures he is referring to is of the wheels.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

If you got all the service records you got a better salesman than me. The first guy they gave me literally said, I don't have time to get you a build sheet! The misfires and coolant issue is concerning. Regarding price, his exact words were...

"I will send pictures but the price is non negotiable.... 29,999$ one of 355 for the US market......... pictures will follow".

What a dick. Iím still texting with my salesman so will see if I can get more details and share, as long as you donít steal out from under me haha

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Avus Silver RS4, 2014 Ibis White SQ5

I'm about a half hour from that dealer. Just a few miles from them is my shop of choice for all of my Audi servicing needs, Anderson Motorsport of Chanhassen. If you are/become serious about the car then I'd highly recommend contacting them for a PPI.

Veteran Member Four Rings Pilfer's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I purchased my car about two months ago. Literally 30 minutes after signing over the title a coolant hose popped off. It was leading from the radiator to the ac condenser. Cheap part and an easy fix. I think itís a relatively common problem. I know of another RS4 that has this happen.

Not the greatest picture but it was right there.

This is the part, anyway, no issues since. This drained the coolant reservoir in under 5 minutes. I wouldnít be too concerned if itís been fixed.
    Mk 7 R

AZ Member #

What a dick. Iím still texting with my salesman so will see if I can get more details and share, as long as you donít steal out from under me haha

No no worries... I've truly passed on the car. My wife is 9 months pregnant and I can put time into buying something that far away at the moment and they pissed me off so I've moved on!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Was just told it sold. Oh well.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Pilfer View Post
    I purchased my car about two months ago. Literally 30 minutes after signing over the title a coolant hose popped off. It was leading from the radiator to the ac condenser. Cheap part and an easy fix. I think itís a relatively common problem. I know of another RS4 that has this happen.

Not the greatest picture but it was right there.

This is the part, anyway, no issues since. This drained the coolant reservoir in under 5 minutes. I wouldnít be too concerned if itís been fixed.
    Yes, that POS piece breaks when you look at anything sideways in the engine bay. I was attempting to change my headlight bulbs and it snapped and started leaking. <$15 fix but car was down for the night. That thing must get brittle over time.
    -- Graphs always help scope out what product is better for who.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
    Yes, that POS piece breaks when you look at anything sideways in the engine bay. I was attempting to change my headlight bulbs and it snapped and started leaking. <$15 fix but car was down for the night. That thing must get brittle over time.
    Not to get off topic but I do believe someone had this made out of metal to prevent future breaks.

Veteran Member Four Rings Pilfer's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kambesama View Post
    Not to get off topic but I do believe someone had this made out of metal to prevent future breaks.
    Yea we saw that online, got a part from Audi. Otherwise Iíd have needed to ship the car instead of driving out from Vegas to SF.
    Mk 7 R