Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: New A4 b8.5

AZ Member #

New A4 b8.5

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I just picked up my first Audi. It's a 14' B8.5 A4 w/33k miles on it, and drives AMAZING. I come from the world of Evos and STI's, so this is like learning a new language it seems lol.

Anyways - I wanted to do some upgrades, but nothing crazy.

35% tint
    Stage 1 APR tune
    H&R Springs
    Koni Yellow strut/shocks
    Vag-com/OBD 11/APR Dongle
    19" wheels (very much undecided on which one I like most)

My main questions right now are...

1) The APR stage 1 tune has four different levels (91, 93, 100, e85). Does the purchase of the tune give all four levels? I ask because I want to typically run the 93 octane tune, but have the ability to switch to e85 when I want a little more power. If I am able to switch between the tunes what type of hardware is needed (similar to the Cobb AP for STI/Evos)?

2) I'm not sure which method I should use to plug into the ECU for diagnostic, and to unlock some of the hidden OEM settings (windows open/close with keypad, DRL's staying on with turn signal, etc). OBD 11 is by far the least expensive, but you have to pay credits to unlock some of the short cuts to program the ECU. APR dongle looks like it is similar to OBD 11, but no pay to use type features. Vag-com looks like it is similar cost to the APR dongle, but doesn't seem like it has a user friendly UI. I don't plan on tinkering with my ECU much if that matters. Just initially turn on some of the hidden features I already mentioned then it's just going to become a diagnostic tool after that.

Established Member Two Rings Calderone's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I believe you pay extra for program switching with the dongle. You can get the 93 tune and it Will automatically switch to the e85tune when e85 is in the car. No need to change the tune if you’re going from 93 to e85 and vice versa

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings DrGER's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4 Quattro 6MT, 2004 Honda CR-V EX 5MT

We had a Brilliant Red B8 (2009) -- what a beautiful color -- I miss it (the Monsoon Grey Metallic is nice, but too vanilla in the sea of other grey/silver/black/white exteriors).

I have the Carista dongle & app (android) -- useful for pulling codes, resetting service reminders, enabling the hidden green menu, and many (simple) customizations.
    2014 A4Q P+ 2.0T 6MT Monsoon Grey. Previous: 2009 A4Q P+ 2.0T 6MT Brilliant Red; 2005 A4Q 1.8T 6MT Cambridge Green; 1995 90Q V6 5MT Pearl White; 1990 80Q I5 5MT Crystal Silver; 1984 5000S I5 5MT Montego Black; 1978 5000 Helios Blue; 1977 100LS Signal Green; 1974 Fox Sahara Sand.

Registered Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic

Looks good

Established Member Two Rings vincent_nguyen2's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Another brilliant red A4! It’s a miracle! I don’t miss mine being stock though lol

1) APR tune only comes with one map. If you buy the “fully-loaded” add on, you can add as many maps and a plethora of options. If your car is E85 compatible however, you have automatic fuel blending so you don’t need an E85 map. If you do get program switching, you just use the cruise control stalk

2) Vag-com is best

2014 Brilliant Red A4 Premium + w/ S-Line
    VAG-COM | Hoen H8 35w xenonmatch | RS Style Honeycomb Grill | Deval CF Rear Diffuser | AWE Tuning Quadtip Catback Exhaust | Niche Misano 19x8.5 | Solowerks S1 Coilovers | EBC Slotted Rotors | APR Downpipe | APR Stage 2 Tune | SPC Adjustable Control Arms | Michelin PS4S 255/35/19 | ECS Tuning CF Front Lip | Strafedesign Side Skirts | Animated Illuminated Door Sills | ECStuning CF Decklid

Registered Member One Ring Prelusion's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the world of Audis lol.

1) Can't speak for APR, but with their program switching you can switch using the cruise control stalk (correct me if I'm wrong) depending on which programs you have access to. Also if you drive a 6mt E85 isn't for you.

2) I also agree that Vag-Com is best. Connect to your laptop and pretty much do everything from fault code scanning to unlocking hidden features. Lots of guides floating around on how to do certain things too if you're interested.

AZ Member #

Thanks everyone for the help.

My A4 is auto, and has e85 on the gas door as one of the types of fuel I can use, so I'm good on that front. I'll just go with the 93 octane map since it'll adjust when I use e85.

Looks like I will go the vag-com route over the other options.